Skip navigation

2539 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2013 3:31 PM by BRIAN__74 RSS
deezy23 Rookie 5 posts since
Jun 1, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 1, 2013 9:37 PM

Wondering how to play aggressively

Hello, I am a sophomore who will be a junior next year. I have been playing power forward/center most of my career because in elementary school i was like a foot taller then everyone else, and my dad is also like 6'4 and 210 or something so my high school coach figured id grow and kept me there. Well I havn't been growing like he expected me to i guess (im only 5'10 and 160 pounds) and he has been talking to me a bit about moving me to a wing position next year. I'm very quick and pretty fast, those are my best physical attributes (I cant jump high enough to dunk, and I'm kind of lanky instead of big but I do lift and people always say im really hard to move in the post). I'm a good finisher around the rim off post moves (These get blocked a lot if I play low post because Im short, only think I can get up is a hook) or drives (I was a stretch 4 kind of player for the last 2 years so I have been working on my ballhandling quite a bit so I can drive decently well) and can shoot alright from midrange, but havent found my 3pt shot yet (I was 4/24 last year, so it's pretty bad, but I plan on working on it).

However, the biggest part of my game that basically has been getting me minutes is my defense. I can guard pretty much anyone as long as he is sort of my size height-wise, from quick point guards to power forwards, and Im really aggressive on defense. I want to be able to play that same way from the wing position, because I think that part of my issues offensively have been that I play weak on offense even though I am aggressive on defense and clearly my mind works better when I can go right at people instead of trying to go around them like I have been trying to do. If someone could please give me pointers, how to become a more aggressive player as a wing player on offense, drills I can do to help that, a video I can watch, anything(!) I would really appreciate it since I don't want to lose my minutes just because of my size.

• TruePoint11 Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Aug 12, 2013 7:20 PM (in response to deezy23)

First of all you have to be strong enough. If you strong enough you can go in on anyone. Also, you have the ability to rise up over your defender. To rise up and shoot or to lay it up high enough to not get blocked. Good drills are to have adefender on you and yo haveto go to the hole every possesion as well as hustle for the rebound if you miss. Also got in the hole with a man waiting in the hole and try to score on him. I practiced this and in junior magic I averaged 2 blocks as a point guard and scored over 50% of my points in the hole.

• Tyson2123 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jul 30, 2013
    2. Aug 16, 2013 1:56 PM (in response to deezy23)
    Re: Wondering how to play aggressively

Deezy,

It's normal for players to have to change their games as they get older, since they either stop growing, or grow too fast.  They have to learn a new position, and that is hard.  For you, just keep playing your game.  Definitely keep you defense up, because that is important.

Find out what your coach wants from you.  Do they want you to play big man, or wing?  What do you want to play?  it's important at this age to just keep working on all aspects of your game.  if you stop your ball handling, but then you stay the same height, that skill will be tough to get back.

Come to basketballtrainingclub.com and send me a message.  I'll get you on a workout plan with instruction from professional players.

Tyson

Professional Basketball Player and Basketball Trainer

• DreDre3318 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2013
    3. Aug 25, 2013 3:11 PM (in response to deezy23)

What you need to do is make the game simple. Training will only get you so far... It does not prepare you for game time situations. It is crucial that you perfect a one dribble pullup out of triple threat, and basically taking what the defense gives you. But that is going to work only if you work on your jumpshot. I mean perfecting your form and all. You don't have to be the best ballhandler to get your shot off... You just need to have a decent handle and the quickness on your first step to take that one dribble and pull it. I don't like the fact that coaches (or others) labeled you as a post player so early. Not all height is determined by the parents. My dad is 6'5" and I only grew to about 5'11" or 6'0" my senior year of HS (I'm now 6'2" after HS). They should have been telling you to work on your perimeter game so you could be a bit more versatile and confident to play inside and out. But like I said before, make the game easy. One dribble pull up, take the space the defense gives on the drive, perfect a floater, and crash the boards for easy put backs. Not eveything has to be so aggressive and powerful. That expends a lot of energy. Work smart...

P.S.- Watch more basketball and learn the game as a perimeter player, play more pickup ball, and get to some exposure camps if you desire to make it to the next level. Training is a money maker... You can learn that stuff on your own.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points