Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

55967 Views 97 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2013 6:17 PM by Mikey A Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
  • TerryGold Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 13, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 14, 2013 10:41 AM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

Hi,

This is my first post, but I think I have something to add to the conversation.  I started running when I was also about fifty, and I've been going for three and a half years now.  I'm putting in A LOT of distance now, and I'm saying that not to brag but to say that I'm well past the "run a mile without walking point."  Here's what I've learned.  The first mile for me is still tough to get into the groove.  My legs feel tired and I wonder what the heck I'm doing.  After a couple of miles though it starts to get fun, and by the end of the run, I am ALWAYS feeling better than when I started.  Sure, I may be tired or even sore, but overall I feel better if only in my head for having done the run.

I think what is tough for people getting started is that they never get past that first mile, so it never gets to be fun and they conclude that they "just aren't runners."

I've talked to people who run really long distance about this and every one has said the first mile or two is tough every time they go out.  I heard an ultra runner talking about doing 100 mile runs and he said the first "10 or 15 miles" are always tough!  I guess no matter how good we get, that transition from sitting to walking to running will take a little time to feel good.

I'm going to stay out of the stretching debate, but I'll suggest that if I am running a new trail or street, I soon forget how my legs feel because I just enjoy looking around at the new scenery.  Next thing I know I'm feeling good and not thinking about my legs.

Good luck and I hope you get past that mile and really enjoy running as much as I do!

Terry

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    16. Aug 14, 2013 11:20 AM (in response to TerryGold)
    Re: Tired heavy legs

Seems to me that was in Runners World recently: "Never make a decision on a run based on the first mile".  I have had runs where the first mile felt so bad I wanted to turn around and walk home.  But by mile 2 I was feeling fine.

Len

• Ballfit Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 14, 2013
    18. Aug 15, 2013 7:53 AM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

Congrats on starting your running routine.A lot of good suggestions were made on this thread and I wanted to add a little to the conversation. I for one can emphasis with running long distance, as I rarely enjoyed it. I’ve had several knee surgeries in the past 4 years so it goes to stay my conditioning had diminished. This year was the first time in four years I had no pain so I made a goal to run a 10k this year. When I started training in March I couldn’t run a half a mile, which was embarrassing to say the least, so I began doing one minute sprints, walked for one minute and repeated the cycle. At the beginning it was difficult doing just 4 cycles. I did this until I could do 2 miles of the sprint/walk intervals. This improved my conditioning and I was able to run(at a slow pace) 3 miles by April. And to touch on a point someone made earlier, resistance training did help considerably to strengthen my legs. I did resistance training twice a week for 30 minutes and also biked once a week.Biking helped my conditioning and leg strength without putting too much stress on my knees, and it allowed me to do only two runs a week, one short run and one long run. With this being said cross training (bike and resistance exercises) was the key for me and really helped get my legs back to form.  I completed my 10 K and I also did a duathlon since beginning in March. I hope this helps and again, congrats on getting started.

• shipo Legend 491 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    20. Aug 16, 2013 8:46 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Tired heavy legs

"Never make a decision on a run based on the first mile."

Never were truer words ever written (or spoken for that matter).  On some runs that first mile sucketh much, and then bang, you've burned through nine more; on other days you feel great for the first mile or two and you think, "Gee, I feel like an easy eight," and then you're sucking wind big time after six and you find yourself wishing you'd turned around at the three mile mark instead of the four.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • shipo Legend 491 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    22. Aug 20, 2013 7:29 PM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

Hey Mike,

When I first read that you were adding a bleacher routine to your C25K I thought, "Uh-oh, injury looking for a place to happen."  I kept my mouth shut (or my fingers quiet) because some folks can pull something like that off if they have a robust enough underlying level of fitness.

So, whaddya do now that the knee is tender?  I'm going to fall back on my advice to all individuals starting (or restarting) a running program; do LSD.  Say what?  Yup, you read me correctly, LSD, which in the running world means Long Slow Distance.

The thing about the human body is that muscles get stronger way-way faster than ligaments, tendons, and bones, and by taking it real easy early on in a running program, you allow the "soft tissue" to keep pace with your muscle development.  The C25K program, sans the bleacher routine, is well tuned to allow your whole body to develop at a pace where everything is kept in balance.

Were I in your shoes, I'd put the C25K program on hold for a bit until the knee pain subsides, and then back up a week or two and restart the program.

Keep us posted on how you make out. 

Regards,

Dale

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • DrJonDW Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2011
    24. Aug 21, 2013 9:53 AM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

Mike,

Just throwing in my 2 bits.  I'm 45 and was a very active distance runner up into my early 30's.  I ended up putting on a lot of weight and since my mid 30's have had significant trouble with heavy, worn out legs and a lot of knee pain.  So I had mostly abandoned running up until about 3 years ago.  I really love it and can't stay away.  First thing I realized is that my weight plays a huge factor in all those issues of mine.  If I can get below a certain weight my legs are stronger and my knees rarely hurt.  Trouble is its not that easy to keep my weight down. 

So, I've manage to find a few things that help me a bit.  First is yoga.  Either as a routine I do on a weekly or couple days a week thing, or as a short routine I do after my workout.  I do a yogaflow routine from Kristine Fondran that only takes a few minutes as a warm down when I have time.  I've also discovered foam rolling, as someone mentioned previously, helps a lot as a pre-workout thing.  I actually use a lacrosse ball on most of my leg muscles as it provides a much deeper tissue massage.  Seems to break up some of the tightness in the muscles that support my knees.  I've also started using a dynamic warm up program that heats up my muscles ahead of time and seems to help me get into workouts better.  Look up Dan Go.  He has a good program for dynamic warm ups and for the foam rolling. 

When I was running seriously in high school and college and a little beyond that, I did very little to properly warm and attune my muscles.  I used to just jump in and out of running and now am paying the price in terms of tightness, soreness and injuries.  I would highly recommend these methods as very helpful.  Wish I'd started using them years ago.  Strength training will also help, as I believe someone else previously mentioned, but the foam rolling in particular has been a godsend to me.  I do intend to work through the issues I'm having until I can hopefully get to run marathons again.  But for now, having completed 2 5k's for the first time in a long time, I'm very happy.

• PamOlneyTx Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    25. Aug 21, 2013 2:27 PM (in response to Mikey A)
    Tired heavy legs

I am 50 and have been running for 3-4 years now. I could not even run 1 lap around the track when I was in school so I never even attempted to run until a few years ago when I lost weight and decided I wanted to keep the weight off by exercising since I like food. I found out when I started running that I have exercise induced asthsma. The tired, heavy legs and cold, tight chest would hit me within a couple of blocks. I was taught to breathe in for 3 counts and out for 2 counts. That helped tremendously. I think my tired, heavy legs were caused more from a lack of oxygen than from the running. I was able to complete my first 5k 3 weeks after I started running (almost the last person to cross the line but I did not have to walk!) by learning to breathe correctly. I have also learned that if I do some deep rythmic breathing before I start running it makes a big difference in that first mile. My guess would be it provides oxygen to the muscles prior to making them work out and it also sets that rythym in my breathing. I think everyone has to figure out what works for them as far as the stretchng goes. I don't stretch until after I run. I have ended up with injuries trying to stretch beforehand. My husband stretches before he runs and that works for him.

• SheilaKappel Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 30, 2012
    26. Aug 21, 2013 5:31 PM (in response to PamOlneyTx)
    Tired heavy legs

Hello - just found this website, and post, which has been very informative and interesting. I'm curious about what other's heart-rate's are while running any kind of distances? I am a 50 yo female, always been active, but have never been able to do long-term exercising/sports due to my heart rate going very high (about 170-180) very quickly. (within 2 minutes of exertion; it also drops quickly when I stop) I do a lot of hiking, biking, love to scuba dive, walking, skiing, pretty much any thing. But even while hiking if going up the smallest incline, I have to stop all the time to catch my breath and lower my heart rate. (FYI, I've never smoked or drank before & eat healthy; I'm 5'5", 125 lbs)

I'm just curious if this is out of whack, or if other's have similiar heart rate while running? I would LOVE to get into running, but when I try running with my walking, I feel as if my heart is going to explode!  Many thanks for any information!

1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...