Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2232722 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 727 728 729 730 731 ... 760 Previous Next
  • LisaC25K Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 7, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,920. Aug 14, 2013 8:24 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

This is a great place to get motivation!!  I started C25K June 2nd, 2013.  My sister (also 200+) started running about a year ago and has done a couple 5K races and a mud run.   She's been my inspiration, but I could not get the motivation.  At the end of May this year my uncle (only 9 years older than myself) had a bad stroke and his life is forever changed.  That scared me to make some changes in my life.  I already didn't smoke or didn't drink, but also didn't eat right or exercise.  My husband and I own a locksmith business which is fast paced and high stress; nevermind the fact that working with your spouse has its own stresses.  My sister is my inspiration but my uncle's stroke was finally my motivation.  I do not want to have a stroke or heart attack due to the stress of my job, and need to get healthy.

After one month into C25K I hurt my back and had to stop training for about three weeks.  Getting back to the training wasn't easy, but I did it.  Of course had to repeat a couple of trainings to get back to where I was.  Then a week and 1/2 later my back went out again.  Stopped training for two weeks and started physical therapy.  This time was so hard to start again but I've got my first 5K coming up September 8th.  I ran yesterday (going back a few trainings again) and was trying to find motivation to go again tomorrow and found this wonderful place.

Thanks for everyone's posts.  Reading your stories, challenges and encouragement has been the motivation I again needed.  I love what someone posted a few pages back - and it was something like this: if you're waiting for the "want to", keep waiting because it's not going to show up.  That's totally correct and I'm just going to do it, whether I want to or not.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,921. Aug 14, 2013 11:16 PM (in response to LisaC25K)
    200+ Pound Club!

Lisa,  that was big preacher that said that and it inspired me also.  Many mornings I don't want to get up and I tell myself that same saying.  My running coach has another one "you can do anything for a minute."  so whether I am working on my pace or doing hill work,  I think in terms of minutes and tell myself I can do anything for a minute and then when that minute is over,  I say it again.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• PaulByron Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 28, 2013
    10,922. Aug 15, 2013 8:45 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am glad that this thread exists!  I am a 43 yo male and I had never been a runner... ever.  I played sports in HS and I could run a few miles, but I hated it.  I was fairly dormant through my 20's and 30's.  I did power lift and gained weight. When I stopped power lifting I ended up somewhere just under 290lbs and I was fat.

Luckily, my kids (now 8 & 11) are full of energy.  I ran a kid's fun run (1 mile) with them in April of 2012 and thought I was about to die.  That was an eye opener.  In August of 2012 I signed up for a Krazy K.  It's a 5k with obstacles and people dress up for it.  I cleaned up my eating and trained for a few weeks so that I wouldn't die in front of my children.  I made it in a whopping 45 minutes. 

Ok, I ran (sort of) a 5k.  Next?  I found a half marathon about 2.5 months away.  Yes.  A half marathon.  I started running 3-6 days a week.  By that I mean run as far as possible and then walk... and then run again.  It took about a month before I didn't want to hack up a lung.  It took two months before my legs decided that I could handle this nonsense.  By the time of the half marathon in October, I was 255lbs.  I ran (walked) it in 2:34.  Boom.  This fat guy can finish a half marathon.

After a big goal like that, I tend to waffle.  I ran sporadically until January of 2013. I joined a runner's group and followed the marathon training to a T. I came in last every single training run.  I signed up for a full marathon in late April (the same race that put on the kid's fun run the year prior.)  I ran another half marathon in March as a training run and finished in 2:16.  In April of this year, I ran a full marathon in 5:02.  Yes, I am still irritated that I didn't run 2 minutes faster.  Haha.  The very next week, I ran another half marathon in 2:11.  I was down to 232lbs.

I am around 238lbs right now and I am training for another half in Sept.  This stuff is doable.  It isn't impossible.  I thought a 5k was a lofty goal.  Your body will probably adapt to whatever it is you train for.  You just have to sign up and follow the instructions.  I wanted to quit!  We all want to quit!  Just keep going. Oh, and posting it to Facebook helps because you can't back out! Haha. 

SO!  Here are some things that I learned:

• Wear tech clothing!  It's a game changer.  I got my stuff at Marshall;s, Ross, and TJ Maxx.  Underwear and socks, too.  It's about 1/3 of the cost there.
    • I did buy a ridiculously expensive pair of shoes called Hoka One One.  I will beat that drum for them.  I have Bondi Speeds and they are amazing.  They are the opposite of a minimalist shoe.  They have more padding than any shoe I had ever seen.  I previously ran in Asics and Brooks.  Hokas work better for me.
    • Body Glide
    • keep your blood sugar constant w gels

I am not a good runner yet, but I ran another 5k two weeks ago in under 26:00.  I'm getting faster. I can outrun my kids again! If I get under 200lbs again, look out!

If I can help anyone, feel free to PM me.  I am happy to share what I have learned on this journey.

Sep 2, 2009
    10,923. Aug 15, 2013 11:56 AM (in response to PaulByron)
    200+ Pound Club!

Your story is so inspiring.  Thank you so much for sharing.  And it is great your kids get to see a fit,  goal oriented dad.  I have my first 10K next month.  It is part of the Texas Toughest  bridge series,  which consists of 2 10K's and a 1/2 marathon in November.  My first full will be in March.  I am second to last in our running group and I am just barely second to last.

What do you use for nutrition on your long runs? 

Restarted 04/01/2013

• PaulByron Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 28, 2013
    10,924. Aug 15, 2013 1:31 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks!  I just want people to know that this stuff isn't magic.  It's totally doable and it's all about following the program.  Nutritionally, my goal here is not to freak out my digestive system and  keep the sugar levels consistant.  It might look like a lot of thought,  but it is really easy.  When you train, find things that work and repete  them every time... ok, maybe some new music.  During my races, I take  the headphones off and talk to the other runners.  It's great!

Before a long run, I eat and sleep well the night before.  2 glasses of wine tops and make sure you drink water with it.  Pasta is great because of the carbs and because it has no fiber... that is very important. I skip the salad. When I run over ten miles, my digestive tract needs to be babied.  I do not over eat the night before.  This will cause problems that are well documented in pictures on the internet!

The morning of the long run, I do something like this every time.

• When I drive to my route, I have about 8 ounces of the original gatorade.  I may have half of a protien bar or granola bar. 
    • 15 minutes before I start I have a GU, AccelGel, PowerGel or similar. 
    • Right before I start, I have a Gatorade Sports Fuel. 
    • 30 minutes in I hit the GU again (usually start with a low caffiene GU and up the caffiene as I run), then every 45 minutes after, I have another. 
    • I try to take in water as needed, usually a couple drinks every 2-3 miles depending on the heat.

After the race, I eat whatever the heck I want.  Good luck on your races!  Sounds like a blast.  You'll be shocked at how fun a half marathon is after you train for a full.  Promise!

~Paul

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    10,925. Aug 16, 2013 6:07 PM (in response to PaulByron)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Wow, I bug out for a few days and BAM, a bunch of new posters with inspiring stories. 

Welcome smdomski1980, Wayne Theurer, LyndonStevens973, LisaC25K, and PaulByron, y'all have already heard from the ever supportive SeeFluffyRun, and now from me; congratulations on your decisions to take care of yourselves, and the effort y'all have put in since the decision was made.  As PaulByron said so well, "This stuff is doable"; it doesn’t happen overnight, but if you keep at it, it will happen.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Aug 9, 2013
    10,926. Aug 16, 2013 6:23 PM (in response to shipo)

I'm finally on the cusp of being an alumni of this group...

As I posted last week, I had a post-run (i.e. well dehydrated) weigh-in of 200.6, and after tonight's run I saw a "1" in the most significant digit on the scale for the first time since I recovered from a broken leg back in 2003; the scale said 198.4.  To be sure, once I've rehydrated and eaten dinner I'll be back up over 200 again, but oh geez did it feel good to finally slip below 200 (if even for a few minutes) in such a long-long time.

I know there are some folks who discount the weight loss attributes of running, but in my case at least, the only change I've made to my day-to-day life style is to restart my running, and work the miles up to the point where my weight started dropping almost by the day.  Is it easy?  No.  Hell, if it was easy, everybody would do it, but it is doable (thanks again Paul).

Fat old man PRs:

Sep 2, 2009
    10,927. Aug 19, 2013 6:51 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

That is awesome SHIPO!  I don't discount it. The fact that sub 200 creeped on the scale means you are getting there.  Right now it is just playing peek a boo with you. And that means you are headed in the right direction.  I can't wait untl you can report the number is now  your pre run weight...it shouldn't be long.

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 2, 2009
    10,928. Aug 19, 2013 7:02 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I thought I would share an article that my running coach shared with me.  When i joined our running group, I was fortunate enough to run with the couch for my first run. Okay she as walking and I was running (I am pretty slow) but she was describing Heart Rate training.  I have been doing it for about 6 weeks now and I must say I am seeing a difference.  So I don't train by pace or distance, even on the long run days, but by heart rate. I am to keep at an aerobic rate the whole time.  It teaches my body to burn fuel from my stored fat (which I have alot of) instead of the sugar.  The better my body is at burning the fat the faster I will be able to go over time.  When you train above that threshold, your body can't produce enought energy so it shuts down.  At first, I must say, I felt I was running too slow because inorder to keep my heart rate down, I had to really slow down.  Now, my heart rate stays low but I am going faster and my recovery times are shorter.  The article can explain it better than me.

Here is the article.  Heart Rate Training

Restarted 04/01/2013

Aug 9, 2013
    10,929. Aug 19, 2013 8:04 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for the kind words Fluffy; I appreciate it. 

I had an interesting running weekend;on Friday I was just itchin' to get out in the relatively cool weather and go for a planned 12-miler after which the 198.4 popped up on the scale.  Saturday I was figuring on an 8 to 10 mile run, but as the first few miles went by I kept feeling good and strong, and whadd'ya know, I ran another 12-miler; my post run weight was 196.6.  Last night it was warmer and much more humid, and I was feeling the affects of the Friday and Saturday runs; 10 miles was all I could manage (and even then I stopped twice to graze on the bumper crop of wild blueberries and black rapsberries growing along the trail).  I was exhausted when I finished and didn't bother weighing myself when I got home, however, this moring after getting the horses out to the pasture and cleaning up the barn, I hopped on the scale and saw 201.3.  Looks like I'll be south of 200 on a regular basis pretty soon. 

Fat old man PRs:

Aug 9, 2013
    10,930. Aug 19, 2013 8:09 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I've heard a lot about "Heart Rate Training" and while I've never done it per-se, for decades now I have subscribed to the "Old School" philosophy of "Long Slow Distance" (aka. LSD) for burning fat and strenghtening your body before you up the ante and start doing speed drills.  I'm thinking that LSD running might could well have virtually identical results to the Heart Rate thing as my typical heart rate when I'm doing a long slow run is right bang in the middle of the "target" range for fat burning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Slow_Distance

Fat old man PRs:

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10,931. Aug 19, 2013 8:34 AM (in response to shipo)

Every thing I've read says that you burn a higher percentage of fat vs. carbs/glycogen as you slow down.  (It's even higher, percentage-wise, walking.)  Of course, the slower you go, the longer it takes to burn the same number of calories.  So some balance must be reached between speed and burning fat, depending on your objectives.  Teaching your body to be more efficient at burning fat can be helpful in longer runs, for instance, if you're training to run marathons.  There is a program out there, whose name I don't remember, that is designed around that principle.

Len

Aug 9, 2013
    10,932. Aug 19, 2013 8:50 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

It's all about the balance thing!  Darn-it!  I wanna go out and run 26.2 consecutive 4:30 miles without training; balance-schmalance. 

Fat old man PRs:

• TanjaR71 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 19, 2013
    10,933. Aug 20, 2013 6:04 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I just started C25K last Saturday morning. I was always afraid to run because of my weight but I have achieved so many other things so I figured why not start running. It is so hard. I am 5'5" and 202 lbs.

I'm down 36 lbs since last march. I can't even run 1 minute. I can do between 36 and 46 seconds and that's it. I have no problem swimming or on the spinner for 45 min. at 80-95 rpm. It's just the running that I have such a hard time with. How do you all do it?

I am so glad I found this thread. Thank you all for sharing.

Aug 9, 2013
    10,934. Aug 20, 2013 7:16 PM (in response to TanjaR71)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Tanja,

For starters, congratulations on the progress you've made to date and double contratulations for starting the C25K program. 

Reading your post, it sounds like you have plenty of stamina to get you going, now all you need is add some more strength into the mix so that your muscles won't be overwhelmed after less than a minute.  Keep it up, and you'll go two minutes, then five, then...  You get the idea.

The human body is an amazing machine; challenge it and it will respond.  Do you feel at all sore the next day after running a few 36-46 second sets?  If so then that's your body responding; the soreness is from micro-tears in the muscle tissue, and it is the tears which trigger the strengthening process.

I know it can be super frustrating when you're getting started, I've certainly been there more than once, but if you stick with it, progress will happen.

Regards,

Dale

Fat old man PRs:

Actions

More Like This