Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1888934 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 728 729 730 731 732 ... 756 Previous Next
  • TanjaR71 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 19, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,935. Aug 20, 2013 6:04 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I just started C25K last Saturday morning. I was always afraid to run because of my weight but I have achieved so many other things so I figured why not start running. It is so hard. I am 5'5" and 202 lbs.

I'm down 36 lbs since last march. I can't even run 1 minute. I can do between 36 and 46 seconds and that's it. I have no problem swimming or on the spinner for 45 min. at 80-95 rpm. It's just the running that I have such a hard time with. How do you all do it?

I am so glad I found this thread. Thank you all for sharing.

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    10,936. Aug 20, 2013 7:16 PM (in response to TanjaR71)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Tanja,

For starters, congratulations on the progress you've made to date and double contratulations for starting the C25K program. 

Reading your post, it sounds like you have plenty of stamina to get you going, now all you need is add some more strength into the mix so that your muscles won't be overwhelmed after less than a minute.  Keep it up, and you'll go two minutes, then five, then...  You get the idea.

The human body is an amazing machine; challenge it and it will respond.  Do you feel at all sore the next day after running a few 36-46 second sets?  If so then that's your body responding; the soreness is from micro-tears in the muscle tissue, and it is the tears which trigger the strengthening process.

I know it can be super frustrating when you're getting started, I've certainly been there more than once, but if you stick with it, progress will happen.

Regards,

Dale

• PaulByron Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 28, 2013
    10,937. Aug 20, 2013 7:42 PM (in response to TanjaR71)
    200+ Pound Club!

Tanja!  Here is how I did what I did...  I signed up, and I followed the directions.  That's it.  It's that simple.  Shipo is correct about the body responding.  One year ago I couldn't run either.  Just get out there and follow the plan.  In two weeks you will see a considerable difference in what you can do. The first 2 weeks will not be easy though.  In a month, you will be that much better.  Nike had it right when they said "Just Do It". 

I know a couple of guys that are pretty muscular and they look great. They also can't run more than a mile and a half.  Your body must get used to these new choices that you are making.  Try learning guitar in a week.  It ain't gonna happen.  Try hitting am 80 MPH fastball.  Nope.  Just stay the course and you will get where you want to go.

Now, here is one thing that I will mention to everyone on here; Don't make the 5k your ultimate goal. Perhaps being able to run a 5k a week is a better goal, but I realize that you have to start somewhere.  Sometimes when we reach our ultimate goal, we stop.  We did it.  Now what?  I think a great goal is a half marathon.  Sound impossible?  Not if you run the 5k.  Then go for a 10k!  Then eyeball that half.  This is a real goal.  It IS tough.  It is absolutely attainable.  Pick a race to shoot for, but a series of races is better.  One a month? 

I started last year.  I am currently 236lbs with a BMI well in to the obese catagory (Yes, i have lost a lot of weight).  I have run several halves and a full marathon. I started with a 5k and I assure you that there is nothing remarkable about me.  I just signed up and followed the plan.  Am I the exception?  Heck no.  I have several friends doing the same thing! "Heck, if Paul can do it, I'll do it."  That's what they have said and so should you. 

I ran 10 miles a couple of hours ago.  It was hot.  It was hard.  I am achy and I feel great. 

Aug 19, 2013
    10,938. Aug 21, 2013 4:57 AM (in response to shipo)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Thank you Shipo and Paul,

Yes I am sore today again but I like it. ;)

My goal at this point is to be able to run a full minute and finish day one. I am sure it is like with anything else, practice, practice, practice.

You all have a great day and thanks again for the encouragement.

• PaulByron Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 28, 2013
    10,939. Aug 21, 2013 6:01 AM (in response to TanjaR71)
    200+ Pound Club!

I just thought of something else.  Mind your pace.  If you are trying to go a long distance,   s-l-o-w   d-o-w-n. 

My pace when I started was around a 14 minute mile, as I recall.  That is just breaking in to a jog. A lot of speedy walkers will pass you at that pace, but that will help you maintain a contant speed for the duration.  You'll get faster quickly.  When I was running under 13 minute miles I was impressed with myself.  Then 12 came.  Then 11, and for a long run (over 3 but under 13 miles)  I am around 10 now!  Sure the 155lb guys run 8 min or less, but I can whip all of them in arm wrestling and that is the important thing.

Remember that your brain will try to over-ride your body for comfort's sake.  If your body tells you to stop, you will stop whether you want to or not.  If your brain is telling you to stop, tell it to shut up and keep running.  That's progress.

Make sure you stretch after you run.  A yoga roller will be useful in the near future.  I am eyeballing mine right now...

• Mark W. McClure Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 1, 2011
    10,940. Aug 21, 2013 6:14 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Just a quick nod to all of you who are starting or have been making progress with C25K and getting out there. About two years ago, I started losing weight with Weight Watchers and nearly choked when my wife announced she'd talked to a friend and was going to start C25K with one of our daughters. Being pretty big (329 lbs and 6' tall), I had run more than a few steps to catch a toddler in decades. I chuckled at my wife huffing and puffing around the neighborhood, the park and even on vacation until she came to the end of the program and ran her first 5K.

It was then that I knew I was going to get left behind if I didn't get moving. I had dropped about 40 lbs but didn't feel particularly athletic but started the program with my son just to see if it could be done.

Long story short, I'm 110 pounds lighter have a wall full of 5K and 10K race bibs and have our third half marathon scheduled for November. My doctor likes to see me come in the door and says I'm the only patient he has that actually listens to him.  I'm not faster than anyone and still grimace when the little old ladies pass me but I'm fast than my old self on the couch.

It is a huge sacrifice to wake up at Oh'dark-thirty to run in the morning (I'm a night owl), but it has paid off for me.  I started off knowing that running was a lark, an experiment, something I would do because my wife has showed me up but there was no way I could be successful.  Boy was I wrong and I'm better for it.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,941. Aug 21, 2013 7:47 AM (in response to TanjaR71)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Tanja,

I was 40 years old 232 5'2" when I contemplated running.  I used the C25K program and loved it. I must say I repeated week 1 three times before I moved on.  But I realized my pace was too fast. Once I slowed down my pace, I was able to complete the program.  C25K is a program for beginners.  Beginners don't do speedwork...so a slow in steady pace is best.  couple of things I learned from my running group:

• Breathe: pay attention to breathing.  Our coach ran with me and she had breathe in twice to one puff out (felt like I was in lamaze class)
    • Posture:  you should really feel your core working because you are standing tall.  It allows more oxygen in
    • Step:  Until it became natural I would march in place for two minutes to get my foot use to striking in the middle of the foot as opposed to my toes or my heel.
    • Cadence:  180 beats per second.  No matter how fast or how slow we all try to keep 180 beats per second.  People like me who are slower just take smaller steps but maintain that beat.
    • Shoulders relaxed as well as arms.  I didn't realize how much energy I was wasting by tensing up my shoulders and my fist.  Some people in our group ran with pennies between their thumbs and middle finger. They said it kept them from making fists.

Our couch says "you can do anything for 30 seconds. If you can't then your mind is lying to you."

Paul is right about the stretching and roller.  I had my first injury this year and did some stretches especially for my injury and continue to do them...completely healed.  We stretch for about 30 minutes after our long runs on Saturday.  Stretch, yoga and pilates. (core is really important to running).

I am training for my first marathon.  My motto "running a marathon one 5k at a time."   there is a group of us doing it.  you can find us at #fmrmc (fatty must run marathon challenge)  group of plus size gals from all over the world that are training for our first marathon

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Aug 19, 2013
    10,942. Aug 21, 2013 7:03 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Fluffy,

Thank you so much for your input.

Great pointers. Tomorrow is my 3rd run. I am so exited about it. I wish I could run in the am but I have to be at work by 4:30am and when I get home around 1 or 2 pm it is so hot. I have to wait until around seven or 7:30pm to go out and run but I don't care I run early on Saturdays :-)

Thanks again to all of you I really appreciate it.

• LisaC25K Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 7, 2013
    10,943. Aug 22, 2013 8:49 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Fluffy,

Can you please tell me what Cadence is?  Thanks so much

• LisaC25K Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 7, 2013
    10,944. Aug 22, 2013 8:53 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I  posted this question this morning on a general thread, but haven't received any response yet, so I'm posting here.  I have the C25K  app on my phone.  This morning I did Week 6 Day 3.   At  the beginning it says that Week 6 Day 3 is Brisk 5 minute warmup  walk.   Jog for 25 minutes.  I did that, and when it went to walk 5  minutes at  the end (which I thought was the cool down), at the end of  that 5  minute walk it told me to run 25 minutes again.  I didn't do it,  since  this was my first time running for 25 straight minutes (and I only  have  35-40 minutes for my trainings in the mornings before work).  So I  had  to "quit" the work out.  I went onto Active.com to see the C25K   running plan on paper and for Week 6 Day 3 it says Warm up walk 5   minutes and Jog for 22 mintues.  It doesn't mention jogging another 25   minutes before the 5 minute cool down.

Anyway my app won't let me show Week 6 Day 3 as complete.  Anyone have this problem?

Thanks.

Aug 9, 2013
    10,945. Aug 23, 2013 5:20 AM (in response to LisaC25K)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hey Lisa,

Cadence is how many foot-falls or steps per minutes you're taking while you run.

Regards,

Dale

Aug 19, 2013
    10,946. Aug 25, 2013 7:35 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

W1D1 2nd x around,

I did everything that you all suggested and was able to complete W1D1 wooohoooo,

I didn't think I would be able to do it this fast. I really enjoy this program. I'am going to repeat this first week now and look forward to starting week 2. If I have to repeat every week only once, that would be soooo much better then what I thought I had to do. I figured I had to do every week at least 3 or 4 times because of how week I am.

I also do 30 min. On the spinner on my off days. I've been doing the spinner of a while now and like it as well.

The other thing I noticed is, I run much better early in the am. Must be tired in the pm.......

Aug 9, 2013
    10,947. Aug 25, 2013 1:48 PM (in response to TanjaR71)
    200+ Pound Club!

Amazing what a little progress does for the confidence.  Congratulations!

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,948. Aug 25, 2013 9:46 PM (in response to LisaC25K)
    200+ Pound Club!

Sorry Lisa I have been off the board for a few days.  Yes, it is the amount of steps per minute. to get an idea of a certain cadence there are free metronome apps that you can download and set them for X amount of beats per minutes.  Once you finish Couch 25K you can download an app that will take your music playlist and play it at a certain cadence. I think there is something wrong with your app. Glad you didnt' run the 25 minutes again.

Oh Tanja I love to hear that you you completed it!  So so proud of you!  I run better in the morning also. By the end of the day, all the stresses of my day weigh me down.  Ok girl...spinning. I tried it once and I felt violated.  That seat....wow...hurt. I wrote a blog post about it...the seat needed a condom and I needed a safe word. Apparently my seat was not in the proper position for me. I am not ready to try it again.

I'll see if I can get the names of the apps for cadence and metronome.  I don't use them anymore and removed them from my phone.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Aug 19, 2013
    10,949. Aug 26, 2013 4:10 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I hear you about the seat on the spinner. I bought a gel cover to fit over that seat and I wear cycling shorts. Still if I don't ride for a while, well, you know lol.

So we were able to finish almost all the work for tomorrow morning. That means we don't have to be there till around seven. I'm gonna be able to do my run around 4:30am.

I'm so glad cause I run so much better in the am.

Thanks Shipo and yes, it is amazing.

Tanja

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...