Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

414 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 22, 2013 6:58 PM by lenzlaw
le_me_running Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 1, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2013 2:26 PM

Running shoe Question

I've been an on-again-off-again beginning runner who is currently on-again, and I have a question about shoes. Based on the last several pairs I've bought over the years, The standard width is too tight and needs to be broken in, but once it is, it's a comfortable fit....but the wide, which feels very comfortable at first, very quickly becomes too stretched out, and my feet slide around. Which of these is the lesser evil? Thanks

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 22, 2013 6:58 PM (in response to le_me_running)
    Running shoe Question

How do you size your shoes?  The size you've always bought?  The same size as your street shoe?  Maybe your feet are a little bigger than they used to be.  (Mine are.)  For width, are you going from a D to an E?  EE?  EEEE?  or W (for wide)?  Most runners size up a half to a full size from their street shoes.  Which of course means the shoes are a little wider as well.  Another way to check is to have a thumb-nail-width between the longest toe and the front of the shoe.  Admittedly, the extra length becomes more important as run distance increases but it also gives your feet a little more room in the shoes.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...