Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1003 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2013 5:36 PM by SeeFluffyRun RSS
sludden88 Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 23, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2013 6:09 AM

300 lb newbie, what training during c25k?

Hey everyone, I am a 5'8" guy, about 300 lbs right now. Some of my friends have really been pushing me to get into better shape and I decided to listen. I am planning on starting the c25k soon, either next week or so (for many reasons I can't right now). As you can guess by my height and weight, I have a lot of muscle left over from when I used to lift. I have not consistently worked out in a long time, so most of that muscle is pretty weak and my metabolism is slower than a snail. I want to cross train because I know that my body tends to slow down during my off days. Workouts seem a lot harder for me after 2-3 day rests, so I was thinking of supplementing the program with cross training. My short term goal is do the Jingle 5k on Dec 8th, which is 14ish weeks away, so I wanted to be ready by then. I know this is a lot longer than the standard 8 weeks, but I have tried this program twice before (a few years ago) and both times I plateaued and stopped after week 4, so I want to allow some weeks where I can repeat or invent a week inbetween two of the posted week.

Anyways, what cross training can I do on the off days (T,Th,S) that will not affect negatively my running days (M,W,F)? I would like to do strength training, and possibly the bike or ellitical, but I am not sure from there, I am only familiar with power lifting, but I do not want to bulk up again (I was doing 5x5 @450lbs backsquat at one point, but weighed 335)

My diet will tend to be paleoish, since I am going to be following the "Whole 30" diet, where you eat nothing but whole foods, I am not too familiar with it but google exists....

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Aug 24, 2013 6:51 AM (in response to sludden88)

For your off days I would recommend swimming and/or biking.  Why no strength training?  It sounds like you have plenty of muscle that just needs to get leaned out a bit and you have a need to increase your stamina.

FWIW, I'm 5'8" as well and now down into the mid 190s, however, I topped out at something over 250 last summer (I stopped weighing myself when I couldn't look in the mirror any longer) so other than the power lifting thing, we have quite a bit in common.

Keep us posted on your progress through the C25K program.

Regards,

Dale

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Aug 24, 2013 8:02 PM (in response to sludden88)

Hmmm, the upper body lifting is probably not a bad idea and the one day of squats is probably pretty good too, especially if you miss it; I mean hey, you gotta do something you like.   My general concern is that too many folks I know who start a running program try to "gild the lily" by adding other stuff to said program, and often times they get hurt.  In your case, since you have a good base of lifting, you probably won't have any additional risk of injury, especially if you cut the squat weight a bit.

Good luck on your program and keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Dale

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    4. Aug 26, 2013 5:36 PM (in response to sludden88)

I did  the 30 day squat challenge while doing couch to 5k.  I don't know if it is a girl thing but it did help my running .  Doing alot of core work helped also.  Yoga, Pilates, water yoga and water Pilates ...may sound girlish but quite a few guys in our group. Perhaps even water running if you are  up to it.

Our couch says a plank a day keeps the doctor away.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points