Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1117 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2013 4:04 AM by justamaniac RSS
precky82 Rookie 1 posts since
May 1, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2013 7:53 AM

Shin/Calf Sleeves

Hi, I've been jogging/running for years now, however a little over a year ago I ran into back problems (bulging discs) so I pretty much stopped running all together for an extended period of time. Over the past 6 months I've began slowly running again and over the past month I've taken it up a notch. Normally I'd run about 3 miles at a time, but over the last month I've gone from, 4 to 5 to 6 miles pretty quickly. I've actaully ran 5 miles twice then ran 6 last Sunday. I didn't notice any pain Sunday other then normal soreness but over the past few days my shins are hurting. I'm guessing this is a result of running too hard too quickly and because I overpronate and have back problems. I dont believe my shoes are the problem because I just bought a pair of Nike Eclipse which my local running store recommended after seeing my over-pronation. My question is other then taking it slowly after resting should I start running with calf sleeves? Like a CEP sleeve, Zensah or Alive Power Calf or something? I'm just not sure if this is going to be a oncurring problem because of my issues (pronation/back) and because I have had achilles tendonitis in the past as well. Any suggestions? I'd appreciate any help!

• jmscsa Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 25, 2009
    1. Jul 10, 2013 11:49 AM (in response to precky82)
    Shin/Calf Sleeves

I don't have any back prblems, some piriformis issues in the hips and occasional runner's knee, but I do like the sleeves, particularly the 2Xu lyra ones. For short runs they probably aren't acutally needed but I run with them anyway just out of habit. One longer runs I really do feel like they give some endurance and keep the calf muscles for tiring out as fast and getting that dead leg feeling where it feels heavy to keep picking your feet up. I think they'd be worth trying out.

• d rrell haage Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 28, 2009
    2. Aug 29, 2013 12:03 PM (in response to precky82)
    Shin/Calf Sleeves

i love my calf sleeves . my wife has some and my daughter ,who runs cross country has them. we feel like they keep your legs from getting tired as fast. they also keep my legs from being sore after long races. we have the CEP brand and love them. i highly recommend u get some. you will love them. i feel like they will cut down on your injuries.My wife has the zensah , she feels the CEP are better fit .good luck with the running . give them a try , you will not regret it.

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Aug 29, 2013 8:11 PM (in response to precky82)
    Shin/Calf Sleeves

Okay, I have to ask, is there some supporting science behind Shin/Calf Sleeves for running, or is this yet another fad which will die out in a year or two?

• justamaniac Legend 188 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Aug 30, 2013 4:04 AM (in response to shipo)
    Shin/Calf Sleeves

Science, shmience....I think that it is very user dependant. In other words, if you think it works for you, then it's working.  I've tried them and for me, not so much.  A personal observation: the sleeves seem to work for some people that I know and I notice that they have bigger calves than I do (i.e. more muscle) and perhaps what the sleeve is doing is helping to control/manage the muscle "jiggle", which may induce a sense leg fatigue?

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points