Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8822 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2013 7:47 AM by Debbie Kimbriel RSS
C213 Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 2, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 2, 2013 10:31 AM

Training for 1/2 Marathon. Suggestions

The half marathon isn't until March, but I want to get a training prgram in atleast twice before the marathon. Does anybody have any tips? I already have a training schedule.

• Kelly1066 Pro 115 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    1. Aug 13, 2013 7:45 AM (in response to C213)

I'm running my first half marathon in September and have been writing about it a lot on my blog (www.iamrunningthis.com).  It's hard to know what tips to give you, except I'm not sure I'd do two half marathon training programs for one half marathon.  Training programs usually ramp up and then ease off specifically to prepare you for a race.  Perhaps better to get yourself running a certain number of miles per week in the fall, and then do a training program in the spring for your March event.

You may also want to build in some recovery time between here and then to reduce risk of injury.

In general, I think it's important when you're looking for training advice to take into consideration your current fitness level.  I read a lot of training plans and many of them were geared towards people already running 20-30 miles a week.  When I started my training, I was at ten miles a week.  Depending on what you're running now, you may want to find a plan for the spring and then use the fall to get yourself up to the mileage and intensity you'll need for the plan. 

Goood luck training for your event! 

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• Frerunner Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 12, 2013
    2. Aug 14, 2013 10:47 AM (in response to C213)

Why would you want to do it twice?

You would be better off by building a steady healthy base from here to January, while participating in some shorter races (10k or 5k) and then starting a 12 week program.

If you are consistant on your base training on January you would be able to endure a stronger/harsher training program that would translate into better times at yoour race.

Don´t worry 21k aint that big of a deal to finish.

Performing, racing or placing at the 21K is another story but with all this time to train you will do just fine..

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    3. Aug 14, 2013 7:32 PM (in response to Frerunner)

It depends on how much you run now.  Are you comfortable doing a 5K or 10K? Our training group runs 4 times a week. We are on our 10th week of the program and run 4X per week.  Currently we are doing 1 easy 30 minute run, 1 tempo run, 1 8 60/60 run and then on Saturdays we do our long run, which right now is only 6 miles.  But it has been a progression.

We started out with all easy runs then 2 miles on the weekend.

Then we added hill work to the week runs and ran 4 miles on the weekend.

Dropped back to 3 miles one week and then the next week we went up to 5.

We just recently dropped back to 4 on saturday and added the tempo runs and not doing the hill work.

This Saturday we are doing 6 miles.

Then we drop back to 5 for one week and then increase to 7.

We do core work...plank a day challenge is a good one. 

I think by November we will be running 13 on Saturdays.

HTH

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• 50 States HALF Marathon Amateur 34 posts since
    Aug 16, 2009
    4. Aug 14, 2013 10:21 PM (in response to C213)
    Re: Training for 1/2 Marathon. Suggestions

If it is your first half marathon, it is a big deal, and a great accomplishment.  It is true that it can become an addicting distance and may eventually feel like "not a big deal" for some, but for many, who are not typically long distance runners, it's definitely an achievement, and a distance anyone can be proud of finishing.  Some longer distance runners can get a little pompous, and I thought that remark was rude.

Anyway, have fun training and build up.  I recommend starting with what's comfortable, increasing distance a little bit every week, and as weeks get closer to the half try to do at least one 10 mile run about 1 to 2 weeks prior to your half marathon, and taper the last week. There are so many training plans out there. It all depends on if you are just going to run to finish, or if you are running for a specific time goal.  I would choose a training plan catered to that goal.

Hope you have a great Half Marathon! 

Here is a link to some training plans and running resources that might help you

http://www.halfmarathonclub.com/Other_Running_Links.html

Message was edited by: Group Moderator

Sincerely,

Fifty States HALF Marathon Club

www.HalfmarathonClub.com

FSHMC Avatar for Favicon.jpg

The Most Up to Date Half Marathon Calendar on the Web for 2014 Half Marathons

Halfmarathonsearch.com Half Marathon Calendar

• justamaniac Pro 180 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Aug 15, 2013 11:22 AM (in response to C213)

I have to agree with Freerunner - I'm not sure why you would want to do the program twice...  What about building up your core mileage so that you know that you have the endurance to run the 13.1 miles comfortably and then focus on building speed into it.  Or toss in one or two 10K's or 10Miler's so that you can "practice" your race day routine.

Good luck and have fun with it!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• dmrg63 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 19, 2008
    6. Aug 26, 2013 12:27 PM (in response to C213)

I agree with not repeating the program twice but using the extra weeks to build up your base.  From my own experience I find it very helpful to know the course.  If it is hilly train for hills.  If you do not prepare for the appropriate terrain it will kick your butt.

• LStanhope Amateur 18 posts since
    Aug 24, 2013
    7. Aug 26, 2013 2:24 PM (in response to C213)

While I myself have not run a 1/2 marathon (or even a full one), I do have friends who have. They frequently tell me that forcing yourself to run in really hot weather or cold weather (because you never know what the weather will throw at you) is a good way to condition yourself...just in case. Also, adding some core-strengthening exercises is always good. Good luck with everything!

Jul 12, 2012
    8. Aug 28, 2013 1:18 PM (in response to LStanhope)

Just make sure to adjust your pace to reflect really hot weather especially!  It's brutal to run when it's above 80 and sunny, let alone 90, which my first 10k ended up being.  Slowing down can help you prevent giving up on a run when the weather is extreme.

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

• KLinabury Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    9. Aug 28, 2013 1:53 PM (in response to C213)

Hi! I have run 2 half marathons and am training for my third. The first thing you need to decide is what is your goal? Do you want to finish under a certain time? Do you want to finish, whether running, walking or crawling across the line?  Are you ok with the idea of walking some here and there, or in your mind is that a failure?  It can be hard to see the walk-run participants finish very close to you when you run the whole thing.  It is a different kind of running and you have to realize and accept that.  You must also remember to adjust your goal on race day if necessary due to weather, illness etc..  My last half it was nearly 90 degrees and it was on June 2 in MA so my body was not used to running in heat at that time.  Most importantly, it is YOUR race and YOUR pace, don't be pressured by anyone else.  A really good read is "Running to Win" by Dr. George Sheehan.  You can pick up a copy on Amazon.  Best of luck.  Remember to enjoy your runs!

Jul 12, 2012
    10. Aug 30, 2013 10:19 AM (in response to KLinabury)

I ran a 10k on June 2nd in MA that was my first 10k... that day was BRUTAL weather!!!  It was just insane, and it'd been such a cool spring that I don't think anyone was prepared for it.  Yikes... I'm so glad I wasn't running a half!

Great advice about picking running goals - and it can be important to re-evaluate goals at different points in the program if you're training for a specific race, too.  It's hard to know what type of progress you'll make when you're four months away from a goal.

• Debbie Kimbriel Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    11. Sep 5, 2013 7:47 AM (in response to C213)

Everyone is different and the internet plans are pretty good.  Just know yourself, though.  I have a mental block about the half.  I have to run at least one 14 mile run before the race to make sure I am mentally ready for the half.  If you think you need to do this, pick the longest run on your schedule before the half and do it then.  Don't do it the week before the race!!

Race advice:  try out different breakfasts, sports drinks, running clothes, etc. during your training so you will be set on the day of the race.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...