Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

849 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2013 5:59 PM by Crista317 RSS
Crista317 Amateur 39 posts since
Apr 8, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 3, 2013 7:06 AM

Runner who needs to lose weight that I gained!

Hi all. Been a really long time since I've posted here. I've been a runner for a long time, completing all race distances up to the marathon. (9 of them.) I'm female, 40 years old, 5'5" and sadly, weigh 163 lbs. I've gained 20 lbs in the year, basically due to not watching my diet at all! What a mistake. Now I'm trying to lose weight and finding it difficult to keep up my level of training (running about 30 miles a week),while following a lower calorie diet. I always feel like I'm running on empty. Either my legs don't want to move or my chest just has a hollow empty feeling and I find it hard to keep moving. I'm trying to eat 5 meals a day. (Brkfast, lunch, dinner and 2 small snacks.) My meals usually contain between 300-400 calories and my snacks contain about 100-150 calories. Granted, I've only been doing this a week now, so maybe my body just needs to get used to it... I guess my question is, how do I diet and still maintain high energy levels to continue to train. I would like to pr my half marathon in Oct, (2:58) which of course is much harder to do with all this extra weight. Plus, I've noticed many more aches, pains and minor injuries (shin splints, plantar fasciiatus)  in the last year that I'm sure is due to running with this extra weight. Ugh!! Thanks for any advice!!

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Sep 3, 2013 7:12 AM (in response to Crista317)

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like your daily caloric intake is just not enough for your training schedule.  I'm thinking you need at least 2,400 calories per day to maintain your strength and continue training at the 30 MPW level.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Sep 3, 2013 8:05 AM (in response to Crista317)

What I found is about 2300 for "moderate" exercise ("jogging" 3 - 5 days a week).  Maybe it's the rapid change to 1500 that's contributing to your lack of energy.

Len

Aug 9, 2013
    4. Sep 3, 2013 8:50 AM (in response to Crista317)

Hmmm, I must be seriously out of the loop (you know, "old school") regarding the current thinking on daily calorie consumption.  Back when I learned this stuff (in the early 1970s) it was assumed that the average sedentary individual would burn about 2,000 calories per day; eat more than that, gain weight, eat less and lose weight.  Add in running thirty miles per week and you "up" the average daily calorie consumption by at least 400.  Throw in the higher metabolism of the active individual and then put this same thirty mile per week 163 pound woman on a 1,500 calorie per day diet and we're talking a SERIOUS calorie deficiency; no wonder why you feel tired.

Once again, the above was based upon what I learned some 40 years ago, so maybe 1,500 is "normal" for this day and age.  Fortunately for me my body is still "old school"; I've managed to lose over 50 pounds from running since April and I've probably eaten some 3,000-3,500 calories per day while losing the weight.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Sep 3, 2013 12:40 PM (in response to shipo)

In this case, I found a calulator online.  When I plugged in Crista's numbers it came to 1700 for sedentary.  For me, personally, I find 1500 to be low.  But I've seen others on the boards who talk about running on 1200 calories a day to lose weight.  I try not to judge on that end of things.  But if you can knock 500 calories per day off what you "need" (2400 or whatever), you should be able to lose a pound a week.  Slow but sure.  The times I've calculated my calorie needs it has always been around 3000 per day, on 30 miles per week.  But I'm a 190 pound guy.

Len

Aug 9, 2013
    6. Sep 3, 2013 1:11 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

In this case, I found a calulator online.  When I plugged in Crista's numbers it came to 1700 for sedentary.  For me, personally, I find 1500 to be low.  But I've seen others on the boards who talk about running on 1200 calories a day to lose weight.  I try not to judge on that end of things.  But if you can knock 500 calories per day off what you "need" (2400 or whatever), you should be able to lose a pound a week.  Slow but sure.  The times I've calculated my calorie needs it has always been around 3000 per day, on 30 miles per week.  But I'm a 190 pound guy.

Very interesting; sounds like things have gotten a whole lot more scientific/specific since I was first exposed to the calorie per day thing.

Either way, 1,500 calories per day for a woman running 30 miles per week, even if she was really light like my wife (who runs about that much, is 5'5" and typically ranges between 118 and 125 pounds) just isn't enough fuel to survive on; I'm almost constantly having to feed her to get her caloric intake up in the upper 2,000 range just to keep her from becoming too light.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...