Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

494 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2013 12:39 PM by shipo RSS
pjhagen09 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 4, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 4, 2013 10:43 AM

Already active newbie

Hi!  So, I lift weights and strength train 3 to 4 days a week.  But, running is a whole new ball game for me.  Will a couch to 5K program work for me, or would something else be more efficient?  I have 4 weeks until the race.

• Haselsmasher Legend 505 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Sep 4, 2013 10:59 AM (in response to pjhagen09)
    Already active newbie

My $.02:  You might be able to progress faster than what Couch 2 5K lays out - but I would be very careful.  C25K enables a number of our "systems" to get acclimated to running.  If you do other cardio that will help in enabling you to possibly move faster than the program.  However don't lose sight of the fact that a HUGE deal is you need to get your muscles, tendons and ligaments used to the pounding of running.  Someone's cardio may enable them to progress erally quickly - but that strong cardio fitness won't stop an Achilles problem or some other problem.  I've heard even bone densities change as we ask the body to do more.  So going too fast could increase chances of stress fractures.

IMHO C25K is a guide.  Some can do it faster.  Some need more time.  If you do it faster just be extra extra cautious.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Sep 4, 2013 12:39 PM (in response to pjhagen09)
    Already active newbie

Yeah, what Haselsmasher said.

Disclaimer; I am a dirt trail bigot, and for pretty much any new runner I strongly recommend finding some good dirt to run on as this surface absorbs so much shock compared to pavement and allows you to strengthen your systems with a much lower liklihood of injury.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points