Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1040 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2013 7:50 PM by Haselsmasher
patsybly Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 4, 2013 5:48 PM

Advice for foot injury

I was xtraining doing moutain climbers. My left ankle or in the area behind the foot as if you were to pinch the back popped. Now I can not move my foot without pain. Not really swollen but feels like a sprain. Ughh. Should I tape it and keep training?

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Sep 4, 2013 7:34 PM (in response to patsybly)
    Re: Advice for foot injury

patsybly wrote:

I was xtraining doing moutain climbers. My left ankle or in the area behind the foot as if you were to pinch the back popped. Now I can not move my foot without pain. Not really swollen but feels like a sprain. Ughh. Should I tape it and keep training?

Should you keep training?  Definitely not; you should get to a doctor.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Sep 4, 2013 6:24 PM (in response to patsybly)
    Advice for foot injury

Ditto. Hie thee to a physician.  That's your achilles and it is nothing to mess around with.  You have to make sure of the extent of injury and rehab it properly.  If you push it and it goes completely you're talking surgery and months of rehab.

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Sep 4, 2013 7:28 PM (in response to patsybly)
    Advice for foot injury

It would be one thing if it were just sore.  The "pop" means there is probably a tear.  You may be able to get back in a few weeks if it is treated properly.  But that means a doctor for diagnosis and probably physical therapy.

Len

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    5. Sep 4, 2013 7:36 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I fear this will end badly. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    6. Sep 4, 2013 7:50 PM (in response to patsybly)

On the one hand I'm not trying to be alarmist.  On the other hand - if you're not REALLY careful you could end up in A LOT worse shape.

Let's say the pop was a partial tear.  The difference between healing a partial and full tear is light years.  I believe with a full tear you're looking at surgery and probably a year from when you injure it to when you're doing stuff again.  Something less severe than a complete tear might involve a walking boot, or crutches, or just staying off it to let it rest.

It also may not be your Achilles - but rather one of the tendons that runs on either side of the ankle.  What if that's torn - or about to tear?

A pop with swelling means this was not minor - or at least coule be the precursor to something not minor.  I would be EXTREMELY cautious.  If you're saying "No doctors." because you just don't want to mess with them and/or you're afraid of what they're going to say - then not going is (sorry to be blunt) just foolish.  If you have no insurance and can't pay out of pocket - well - that's a totally different program.

Good luck!

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...