Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

976 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2013 9:11 AM by Chris1439 RSS
dbernarducci Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 31, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 5, 2013 6:47 PM

Looking for advice on avoiding the wall while training for a marathon

I'm registered (again) for the NYC Marathon. Third time in a row. I have not run it once

2011: I was able to train up to 24miles and NEVER hit the wall. I hurt my calf. No marathon. At that time I was not paying any attention to diet at all. I was clueless.

2012:  I hit the wall once during training at 15 miles. At that time I learned about proper diet for distance running and fueling during the run. I got up to 20 miles, no wall. Marathon cancelled due to the storm.

2013: This year I hit the wall during trainig at 14 miles three times in a row.

My diet consists of almost exclusivley carbs for 3-4 days prior to long runs.High carb, lowfat/protein. LOTS of pasta, bread (white, rye, sourdough), pretzels, veggies ,crackers, baked potatoes, occasional french fries, soup, bean burritos, mashed potatoes, etc. ANYTHING that is high carb and preferably low sugar.

I also drinkloads of water – especially the last 24 hours.

I totally avoid alcohol during this period also.

Pre-run meal WAS all carbs. I recently added a 30mg protein supplement which got me to 17 miles before I hit the wall.

I eat about 2 hours prior to the run.

I run 3-4 times per week. 7-10 miles - varying between easy runs and tempo runs.

Long runs are about every two weeks.

I drink accelerade (5 oz per mile) and consume Gu gels every 45 minutes.

I drink Endurox recovery drink right after each distance run.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Any thoughts on how to beat it?

Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...