Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

533 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2013 6:39 AM by BOSNPM RSS
beccarain Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 11, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 11, 2013 3:38 PM

High School Indoor Track?

Hi! I'm planning to try out for indoor track in high school this year for the first time. I have run in the past, of course, but it was usually always for fun. I was on the track team for one year years ago in middle school, and I have been in various clubs that involve running. I've also run a few 5ks.

I'm definitely not even close to being the best runner in the world, though. On a good day, my mile time is usually around the 7 minute mark. I'm a long distance runner.

I'd like to know what you think my chances are of many the team. My high school is HUGE, with over 700 people in one graduating class alone, and I know that you had to get a certain time at cross country tryouts to make the team, so I'd imagine that there would be a very limited amount of spots on the team. I really, really want to make it.

Between now and November (when tryouts start), I plan on running a LOT more to get back into shape and be ready for tryouts. I plan to run 5 times a week, and I'm a dancer so I will be dancing for two hours a day, 2-3 days a week as well, which should help a lot with strengthening and stamina. I also plan to do core and strengthening workouts, when I have the time. I want to shave my mile time down a LOT by the time tryouts roll around.

What do you think my chances are of making the team? Also, to anyone with experience, what's indoor track like?

Thank you so much in advance! I'm actually off to go running right after I post this, so I'm hoping I'll see some answers when I get back.

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Sep 11, 2013 4:05 PM (in response to beccarain)

How low do you think you can get your mile time?

I ask because, while it has been nearly 40 years since I graduated High School, if you couldn't run at least a 5:30 mile, there was no way my track coach was going to put you on the team.  FWIW, the better runners on our team were running an indoor mile (eighth-mile track) in about 4:40, and more like sub 4:20 outside on a quarter-mile track.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. 

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Sep 12, 2013 6:39 AM (in response to beccarain)

A lot depends on the state and size of your HS.  Should have a web site that tells you qualifying times for the state meet for each event.  You probably don't need to be quite as fast as the state time but fairly close!  Winter track at some schools is a very low key thing since not a lot of runners do winter track! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points