Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

789 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2013 12:43 PM by Kelly1066
dches Amateur 13 posts since
Oct 5, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 12, 2013 3:25 PM

Drop out of half marathon????

Hey everyone.  I'm kind of an intermediate runner, and I'm scheduled to run a half marathon on sept 22.  This will be my 2nd half this summer. My first was at the end of June.  Since the first half I have had a lot of difficulty getting my head into training.  I've done a few runs each week, but due to a mental block frequently started walking on a lot of them.  I did 2 6-7 mile runs last month, and on Labor day managed a decent 7 mile run (at least, it was decent after the first 3 awful, painful, I'm so dropping out miles).  I'm seriously debating my readiness to do this race in 10 days. I was thinking of trying an 8-9 mile run this weekend and if it goes well then go for it.  Any advice or tips?  Really not sure if I should even attempt this.  Thanks in advance!

Debs

Run Deb, Run

• bloodyNipples Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2012
    1. Sep 12, 2013 6:23 PM (in response to dches)

Things that may help your pace... heart rate monitor and a metranome(runner's metranome).  180 foot steps per minute is typically optimal for most runners.  Then find a heart rate that you can run fairly easily for an hour the whole way consistantly.  Also you may want to do warm up exercises for about 15 minutes prior to prime your leg muscles.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Sep 13, 2013 9:49 AM (in response to bloodyNipples)

I would tell you if you do it, do it as a fun run not a race.  Do a run walk type of thing and just do it easy!  You are not going to be in race shape!

• Kelly1066 Pro 128 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    3. Sep 17, 2013 12:43 PM (in response to BOSNPM)

I think BOSNPM has a good point - slowing down and allowing yourself walking breaks might be a great compromise.  I think if you've already run a half this summer you can make it the distance in under the cutoff time, as long as you give yourself a break and are willing to walk or change your pace if needed!

My thinking on going for it is that half marathon registrations are really expensive, and so why not go out there and go the distance more casually?  It can be a fun way to meet other runners who are doing it more socially, too, the middle and back of the race pack has great camaraderie!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points