Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2158594 Views 11,398 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2014 5:12 PM by patti7177 Go to original post 1 ... 730 731 732 733 734 ... 760 Previous Next
  • CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,965. Sep 6, 2013 11:26 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am new here. I started C25K a few months ago and after close encouters with mystery knee pain, plantar faciitis, pneumonia and Pitt Bulls I am 1 week away from my first 5K. I am deifintely over 200 lbs but have lost 32 lbs since starting to run. I love reading what everyone has to say and finally decided i need to participate also.

• shipo Legend 459 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    10,966. Sep 6, 2013 5:54 PM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congratulations on your first post, on perservering when faced with the mechanical issues you've had, and the loss of those 32 pounds. 

Keep us posted on your race and your journey to "South of 200 Land". 

Sep 6, 2013
    10,967. Sep 9, 2013 10:26 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

This week looks like a "take it easy and rest your poor body before the big race" week so that is what I am doing.  I will let you know how the race goes. Wish me luck

Aug 9, 2013
    10,968. Sep 9, 2013 11:18 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Good idea, nice easy runs the week before a race; no need to get injured before the big event.

I ran my second 5K last Friday (errr, second 5K in the last 34 years, like back when I was a punk college kid), and I was feeling good about my time until I saw the time of the guy who got second place overall.  Why was second so special?  Well, the college kid who won it was not at all surprising, but the guy who got second finished in 16:45.  So?  So, he was 48 years old!  I'm not worthy... 

Sep 6, 2013
    10,969. Sep 10, 2013 5:31 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I love it. You are worried about your time and I am worried about finishing without needing an ambulance. I am 57 and never really did any running until a few months ago. I am reading everything I can find about training and avoiding injury and eating "healthy"....So far so good...My faciitis and knee pain are old issues and the Pitt bull, bless his heart, he can't help having an idiot for an owner....my run today is over and I am off to work, 3 more days and we shall see how all the work pays off.

Aug 9, 2013
    10,970. Sep 10, 2013 6:26 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Funny thing about what folks worry about; for the first race or two folks typically fuss about finishing, and once beyond that, they fuss about their time.  Trust me, I've fussed about both over the years. 

Regarding your race, what kind of running are you planning on for this week?

• FrankHobart Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 17, 2013
    10,971. Sep 11, 2013 6:12 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Quick question:  I was training wearing Vibram Bikila LS shoes and two weeks before my race, I experienced a pain in the top of my left foot.  Fearing the worst, I traded running for sessions on the Schwinn AirDyne for ten days before limping through my last four training runs prior to my race.  Being a high school teacher and former coach, I stopped by the athletic wing and had the trainer take a look.  She ran the "tap test" but could not locate anything that presented itself as a stress fracture.  I sucked it up and posted my second best time ever.  Oh, and I did go back to a traditional shoe.

I know I should be visiting a physician, but what's he/she going to tell me anyway---take time off from running?  What I'm curious about is if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Thanks.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10,972. Sep 11, 2013 8:45 AM (in response to FrankHobart)
    200+ Pound Club!

FrankHobart:  I remember reading something in The Med Tent that sounds like your problem, within the last 6 months.  You would have to go back and look.

Len

• wej@crawler.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2008
    10,973. Sep 11, 2013 6:37 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I weigh over 200 at 5'6" with spinal arthritis and I have run several half marathons and 2 full. I lift 4x a week including squats. My goal is to break 5 hrs for a full marathon. The doctors tell me that I shouldnt run long because its bad for my back.

Sep 6, 2013
    10,974. Sep 12, 2013 6:32 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

For the week before a race the runs are mostly walking with short runs throughout. Like run 2 minutes walk 3 for 20 minutes reps or run 1 minute walk 4 for 20 minutes. Last week rthey were harder, run 30 minutes or 2 miles only walk if you must...this week also had 2 rest days...I am actually getting kind of restless and a little nervous... I am confident I can run the whole thing if nothing bizarre happens (bears, pit bulls, alliens) but my fingers are still crossed

• vbdcb Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    10,975. Sep 12, 2013 6:39 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi! I'm new here and just started training for... I don't know what. I did know that I had been sitting around too long. In the past I've trained for and done century and double century rides, but had always been opposed to running. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I just decided to get off my a$$ and do.... something. I joined a gym because... I don't know. First couple of times there I spent some time on the cycles and was.. uninspired. Then I hit a treadmill, just to change it up, and walked for 30 minutes. The next time, 60 minutes. Then I did intervals a couple of times - 3 min walk and a min run. Then tonight..... I was able to run for three or four minutes... and it felt good. I used to be the guy that said running was something you did from a burning building. Now, after today's workout, I feel just a little different. I walked/jogged a 5K on a treadmill in 55 min tonight. Oh, i'm at 248 shooting for 200. Hi!

Aug 9, 2013
    10,976. Sep 12, 2013 7:23 PM (in response to vbdcb)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey vbdcb, as someone who has done the trek from "north of 248" to "south of 200" over the last six months, I can say it is an interesting and rewarding journey.

A few points which will hopefully help you stay the course:

• Rome wasn't built in a day and neighter was that scary number on the scale; losing it won't happen overnight either.  I say that not to discourage you but to caution you that pushing too hard too fast is a pretty good way of getting yourself hurt and stopping your momentum.  Said another way, take it easy, find a proven program like the C25K and work the program.
    • As  you get stronger/lighter and build your endurance, you'll be tempted to run faster; another good way to get hurt.  Why?  Because muscles get stronger way faster than ligaments, tendons, and bones, and unless you take it easy, your muscles will hurt something else.
    • Building on the last point, when the "gee, I feel like I can run faster" day comes, and it will, run further (and possibly even slower) instead.
    • If you can find a good dirt path or trail to run on, that surface will also pay huge dividends in the form of keeping you unhurt as you make progress.
    • Get fitted for a good pair of shoes made for your feet and running style; not all people are built the same way, and running shoes aren't as well.  Long stort short, shoes can make or break you when it comes to running; just yesterday I bought a new pair and I probably had to try on at least two dozen models before I found one which felt proper and natural.

Good luck on your adventure and keep us posted on your progress. 

Sep 6, 2013
    10,977. Sep 13, 2013 5:42 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I can identify with vbdcb...when I first started trying to get back in some kinda of shape my very ambiguous goal was to feel better. Then when I was with My daughter at FSU i saw all the parents and students running a 5K together and said to my daughter "Next year we are going to do that together, i want to cross the finish line holdng hands" Since that time both my parents have become very ill and occupied most of my nonworking hours until a few months ago when I finally said it's time to get these old bones ready for this race. I downloaded a training program from the iron girl website (very much like the C25K program) and hit the trail. I was terrified to take that first running step, keopt extending the walking phase then finally I took one step then another and tomorrow is my first 5K...then october 5th i do the Run in Tallahassee that was my original goal. My daughter is training also so hopefully my dream of crossing the finish line hand in hand will be realized. Todays walk/run was a little sluggish but I have confidence tomorrow will be great.

Sep 6, 2013
    10,978. Sep 16, 2013 5:32 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well I did it, walked a few minutes during mile 2 while drinking H2O but ran almost all of it. It was 90 degrees with 90% humidity and started at 9...summary: it was hot. I felt great the next day and ran 1 1/2 mile this AM. # more weeks and I get to do it again.

Aug 9, 2013
    10,979. Sep 16, 2013 9:41 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wonderful progress; keep up the good work!  At this rate you should be good and ready to run a 5K Turkey Trot. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...