Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

315 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2013 6:34 AM by HoosierinGA RSS
HoosierinGA Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 16, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 19, 2013 6:34 AM

ACHD Running

I have a repair Tetralogy of Fallot (February, 1970) and porcine pulmonary valve replacement (May, 2005).

I started C25K first week of August and doing okay (getting ready for Wk5 Day1 tonight).  I would be interested in hearing experiences from any other ACHD individuals working through this program.  I currently experience about 12% leakage in my pulmonary valve -- I wish I had a way of recognizing what impact that really has on my stamina, O2 supply to my muscles, etc.

Things I am learning:

• I run REALLY slowly combined 16min mile run/walk in week 4
  • Mentally (even at 46 years old) I struggle with resisting the urge to stop when I begin to get winded (my childhood programmed me to do this)
  • Shin splints suck
  • I find myself wondering if my body is even capable of running for 30 minutes non-stop
  • Now that I am hitting week 5 (after 6 1/2 weeks), I laugh at myself for fearing the runs back in weeks 2 and 3 - although at the time they were hard
  • Figuring out the proper pace to allow timed finishes is hard

My goal is to run a 5k without having to walk any of it.  I would REALLY like to not be the last in my age group, but am really only racing against one person that I will tie (me).

Although my cardiologist did not specifically prescribe this program, it seems perfect for what I need to do.  I am loving the runs!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...