Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

733 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 1:45 AM by GeoWolf RSS
peechfish Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 19, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 19, 2013 4:11 PM

Sidelined from C25k- where do I start back up?

Hi there,

I made it up to my first run on week 4 of the C25k, but then the knee pain started. I took a few days off and went to get assessed to make sure it wasn't just my shoes. According to the shoe guy, I had the perfect shoes, thy were just really worn down already and causing me knee pain. So I am waiting for my order of fancy new shoes to arrive and it's been about 1.5 weeks since that first week 4 run. My question is, do I need to backtrack a bit to get back into it so I don't physically hurt myself? Should I start at the beginning of week 3 or do I need to start all over to build up again?

Thanks so much for your help!

-Adrienne

• Mikey A Expert 46 posts since
    Jul 24, 2013
    1. Sep 19, 2013 6:36 PM (in response to peechfish)
    Sidelined from C25k- where do I start back up?

Hi Adrienne,

I had the same problem after W4 D1 back on 08/13/13.  I rested for 8 days (pain had subsided) and started back to W4 D1 and pain started all over again.  I then rested my knee for 16 days and repeated W3 and just finished W4 D3 tonight.

I am glad to report my knee feels great! I can't wait to start W5 again on Saturday, where I left off. 

If you follow my thread from "Tired Heavy Legs" you will see that there was a lot of helpful info posted regarding my knee issue starting from 08/13/13 from some very nice and knowledgeable people on this board.  Good Luck.

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    2. Sep 20, 2013 1:44 AM (in response to peechfish)
    Re: Sidelined from C25k- where do I start back up?

I've been benched several times and I've varied how I approached returning.  I always used my 1stday back as a gauge for where I should start back.  This last time I was in week 6 when I broke my toe and injured my foot.  I took 5weeks off and when I came back I was amazed that I didn’t have to go back toweek 2 or 3.  I set my app for week 5 day3 and decided to run whatever part of it I was able to do and then to walk whenI needed to and run when I could.  I ran 15 minutes and then walked 3 and ran a few more.  I decided that I would just keep it there until I did the full 20 minutes or for 3 runs and then even if I had to still do a small a walk I would move on the week 6. I did better the next run and finished the 20 minutes.  The following run my app stopped and I didn’t realize it.  Since it never said walk I ended up running for 25 minutes before I thought to check it since I was farenough past where I had run before and I knew I hadn’t suddenly started runningfaster than a tortoise. My advice is that this program is about challenging yourself.  If you feel better about going back 2 or 3days while you break your new shoes in then do it.  But don’t do it just because you think acouple of weeks off will set you way back. After 4 setbacks on this program and3 where I ended up taking more than 3 months and as long as 8 months off, I amamazed at how well I’ve been able to pick it up again.  Granted after the car accident where I wasoff the longest I did go back to week. But where I struggled with every week 1 the1st time (repeating the 1st3 weeks and several other days, to even do the runs once) I never had to repeata day again unless I was just having a bad day. We all have those I think.  If Iam having trouble I slow down and I am always ready to repeat a day if I need to.  Before I started this try I had severalillnesses in a row (a chest cold that lasted for over a month) and then Icouldn’t get my rhythm back.  I hadalready lost it quite a bit with some family things going on so I never made itpast week 6 or 7 in over 4 months then I had another 4 with no jogs atall.  I came back and was shocked to beable to start in week 4.  Just so youknow I’m in the best shape.  OK I’m noteven in OK for an old lady shape.  I needto lose a lot of weight and I’m no spring chicken.  So don’t think that even 2 or 3 weeks is some huge deal.   

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    3. Sep 20, 2013 1:45 AM (in response to GeoWolf)
    Re: Sidelined from C25k- where do I start back up?

OK I don't know why this thing lost some spaces, but I just looked in word and it's fine.  So please forgive the messy look.  It wasn't me I swear. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points