Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2121905 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 731 732 733 734 735 ... 760 Previous Next
  • CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,980. Sep 18, 2013 9:10 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Spent way too long in urgent care yesterday to find out I am stressed...imagine that....but ok to run

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    10,981. Sep 18, 2013 9:54 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Stress?  Nah, not you. 

The weather is starting to get cool around here (we were down in the high thirties two nights ago), and that means "Hammer Time!"  This is my favorite time of year to run, the body is more than adjusted to cooling itself, and with the cooler air helping even more, this is the time of the year for extended training sessions, running longer races and even new PRs.

Speaking of PRs, this last Sunday I was hoping for a new 5K PR, errr, at least a new 5K PR since I hit 50 years old, and the stars looked like they were lining up perfectly for said PR attempt.

The setup:

• I entered a medium sized 5K back in July which was A) scheduled for 15-Sep, and B) had a professional outfit performing the race timing.
    • The course was fairly flat, a moderate incline from the .5 to 1.5 mile mark, and then a moderate decent for the last 1.1 miles.
    • The weather forecast was predicting mid 60s, sunny and low humidity.
    • My training had been going well and I was looking forward to a time certainly in the 22 minute range, if not a bit quicker.

It all comes unraveled:

• Last Tuesday I got a bulk E-Mail at work addressed to pretty much every employee known to put together more than a couple of steps at a pace faster than a walk; said E-Mail was confusing in its structure and message, but it sounded like the son of one employee had put together a relay team to run a 36 mile race, and at the last minute three of the six runners dropped out.  As I can still run six miles with relative ease, I responded saying something to the effect that if they didn't mind having a fat old man on their team who couldn't commit to anything faster than a 9 minute per mile pace, I'd be happy to join.
    • Wednesday the guy who sent out the E-Mail visited my desk and asked if I was still interested, and if so, I had to call his son immediately; he was still one runner short and getting desperate as the entry fee and other expensive logistics had already been paid, and graduate students can't afford to burn that kind of money.  I called his son and found out that what they were really looking for was a sixth to fill out their 205 mile ultra (as in longer than a marathon) "Reach The Beach - New Hampshire" relay. Given his desperation he practically begged me to not back out; I caved.
    • Friday morning the other five members of the team (the oldest of which was 31) showed up in a minivan, crammed to the gills with bodies, food, running shoes and other gear, and the Thule rack on the top had even more stuff.  I was shown the course map and given the schedule of the legs I was supposed to run, ummm, YIKES!  My position was slated to run 32.8 miles with an elevation gain of nearly 2,200 feet and a commensurate loss in elevation of 2,500 feet. Note, fat old men don't really like going up or down, especially when either is steep.
    • I got the ball rolling with a 7.97 mile run from the base of Cannon Mountain in a driving rain, got picked up and learned the rest of the routine. As one person said it, you "run, stretch, eat, drive, run, stretch, eat, sleep, run, stretch, eat, drive, repeat, and then party on the beach." Their calculations suggested we'd finish within an hour or two of 30 hours. Geez.
    • In the end we finished five minutes under twenty-nine hours, and I even managed to beat the nine minute per mile pace for the full 32.8 miles.

Sunday's "PR" race:

• I dragged myself out of bed at 6:00, drank a bunch of water and crashed for another two hours.
    • By 9:45 I had hobbled out to the starting area, and given how insanely sore my quads were, I lined up with the 10:00-12:00 "average pace" folks, roughly 20 meters behind the starting line.
    • The gun went off at 10:00 sharp, and per the official race results, it took me a whopping 35 seconds to traverse those 20 meters, and no, it wasn't because of all of the slow walkers in front of me, I was trying to run and yet I was the one who was obstructing the walkers and joggers.
    • While I don't think I was ever in last place in the race, I wasn't far from it at the quarter of a mile point.
    • About a half of a mile into it I was able to reach what might be called a "Slow Jog" (is that also called a "Slog"?).
    • The gun clock had already ticked over 12 minutes when I crossed the mile mark; the good news is that my slog was becoming a true jog.
    • By the two mile mark the gun clock was just ticking over 20 minutes and I was starting to loosen up a bit just as the course started its gradual decent to the finish.
    • As I was approaching the finish line I was stunned to see the gun clock ticking along in the 27:20 range; I'm still trying to wrap my brain around running a sub 7 minute pace for the last 1.1 miles, even if it was hill aided.
    • My corrected time (subtracting my 35 second start time) ended up as a 26:46 5K; nowhere near the 22 something I was hoping for, but given the RTB Relay I'd finished the day before, I was very happy with the time.

Funny thing, when I got home from the Sunday race (which was effectively my 7th race of the weekend), and after having run some 35.9 miles since Friday afternoon, my weight was 201 pounds.  I actually gained weight last weekend and rejoined this club!  Go figure. 

Sep 6, 2013
    10,982. Sep 19, 2013 5:16 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I don't think I will ever be able to do that kind of running but I would love to be comfortable doing 5 or even 10K's and some trail running. and it won't be in the 30's here until MAYBE January or Februaury and then for a few minutes at the most. Think running in a sauna ...but i run before the sun comes up and it is tolerable. Gotta get to work.

Aug 9, 2013
    10,983. Sep 19, 2013 7:11 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

You know, as recently as last week I would have told you that I wouldn't have thought I could ever do that kind of running either.  I guess you just never know.

As far as running in a sauna, yeah, we get four to six weeks of that stuff every year up here and it is miserable, doubly so due to the insects which buzz incessantly around your head and try attacking your ears and such.

So, what type of weather do you get in January; good running weather I hope. 

Sep 6, 2013
    10,984. Sep 20, 2013 5:43 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

It was actually cool this AM, maybe mid 70's. By January it will average in the 50's sometimes even 40's at night and 70-80 during the day and the humidity drops a lot. It will be perfect running weather.

• gendernaut Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 20, 2013
    10,985. Sep 20, 2013 2:45 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello!

Well I did it - I joined the Couch to 5k program.... zombie phone app and all.

And after being scared to tell anyone for fear of failing and being embarassed, I decided I had to in order to help with accountability.

Shoes are in the mail to me and I've already got some routes planned for the weekend. I'm well over 200lbs and have NEVER run before (well, since I was a very small kiddo). I have a sedentary job and recently turned 40 with the forehead smack that I needed to do something before something did to me. I started Pilates 2 months ago 2 x week. It's too expensive even though I love it. I know I hate gyms. And every piece of home equipment I've ever bought ends up as a place to hang my shirts to dry. So, giving running a shot since it's low overhead and totally portable!

I'm terrified I won't be able to stick with it. I'm scared I'll pull a muscle and thing I'm dying. The weather here is about to get gross soon (Seattle), too, so I'm hoping I can find some joy in showering while I'm jogging!

If anyone is familiar with The Oatmeal comic, this is a long time fav of mine and his multipart cartoon about running is what finally kicked me into trying:  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Aug 9, 2013
    10,986. Sep 20, 2013 6:05 PM (in response to gendernaut)
    200+ Pound Club!

Many congratulations on going for the C25K program; it is well thought out and proven.  One key point which I cannot emphasize enough, "Don't embellish!"  Staying with the program, repeating a week or two if necessary, and not adding to it is the best way to avoid getting hurt and then getting discouraged.

Keep us posted on your progress. 

• Mydragonflies Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 15, 2013
    10,987. Sep 22, 2013 2:56 PM (in response to gendernaut)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi gendernaut.  I just turned 40 and am 220 and just started c25k a week ago Saturday.  I was shocked at how easy it was, but I have to say, yesterday was tough.  I am hoping that tomorrow will be better.  I can't help but wonder if c25k works as well for those of us who are overweight as it does for non-overweight beginners... I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Anyway, good luck!

"When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't." Thomas Edison

Sep 6, 2013
    10,988. Sep 23, 2013 5:34 AM (in response to Mydragonflies)
    200+ Pound Club!

Of course it is harder for those of us in "the club" just repeat the hard parts until they are a little easier then progress to the next phase. I walked 2 weeks before I worked up the courage to run 1 step. Now I can run 2 miles easily and heve ran most of my first 5K. Just never ever ever give up....and enjoy the journey.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,989. Sep 23, 2013 7:50 AM (in response to Mydragonflies)
    200+ Pound Club!

C25K is a great program because it works for all sizes.  The only thing I can add to Shippo's advice is go slow and then when you think you are going slow, go slower.  Most people puter out or get injured by going out too fast or running more than the plan calls to run.

When I started out, I could barely run 30 secs and I cried the first day of Week 2..which I didn't start for a few weeks because I kept repeating Week 1.  This past weekend I did the Toughest 10K in Kemah and I am scheduled to do one in October and 1/2 Mary toughest in November.

A girl in our running club did C25K two years and 80 pounds ago.  This past weekend she did a triathlon. 

What you will realize on this wonderful journey is that some days will seem tougher than others, even ones that are shorter or the weather is perfect.  We all will have bad runs.  But you will also have amazing runs.  With enough experience, you will learn to just say...today just wasn't a good run and that is okay. 

I also realized that it takes two miles before I am warmed up enough to feel good in a run.  And some of the experienced runners in my  group that do 14 miles on Saturdays to our 8 miles say the same thing.

Just be patient with yourself.  Don't let fear or doubt creep in and believe me...they try to sneak in all the time.  LOL

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Aug 9, 2013
    10,990. Sep 23, 2013 8:17 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Fluffy,

Congatulations on the 10K this weekend! 

I've heard Kemah can be a tad hot and humid, not exactly optimal 10K weather.  How did you feel coming across the line?

Regards,

Dale

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,992. Sep 24, 2013 8:45 AM (in response to shipo)

Thanks Shipo!  We were more worried about more the rain than anything else.  The news was calling for flash flooding and heavy thunderstorms.  Thankfully half of the race was just cloudy and the last half was pouring rain but no lightning.  If it is lightning they call the race.  I loved the rain, except it really hurt when it hit my face.  Thankfully no blisters but my shoes were soaked. 

I was tired when I finished but happy. 1.  I finished and 2.  I wasn't dead last.  In my age group there were two people behind me.  Well there was just two people behind me period.  But there were still people at the finish cheering us on...especially our running group members that raced in it.  Here are some pics of our running group ( I  am on the far left) and the bridge.  We had to cross it 4 times.

IMG_42691978151649.jpeg

IMG_68802207398131.jpeg

Here is the view going up the bridge:

IMG_40938583124109.jpeg

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Aug 9, 2013
    10,993. Sep 24, 2013 12:06 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

Great pictures Fluffy and a fun looking bunch to run with. 

I'm thinking that bridge could generate a few choice words from pretty much any runner, regardless of age or ability.  I know I'd probably fuss about having to traverse that sucker four times.

Here's a shot of me nearing the finish of my latest 5K (the day after I finished the Reach the Beach Relay); I'm the guy in the red shirt, and yes, I got they guy in the black shirt before the finish line:

NearingFinish.png

Aug 9, 2013
    10,994. Sep 24, 2013 12:27 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I forgot to add, if I'm ever down in your neck of the woods, maybe I can go for a run with y'all.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...