Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

479 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2013 4:02 PM by Marisa04 RSS
Marisa04 Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 22, 2013 9:10 PM

How soon is too soon to train?

Signing up for the Eugene Marathon, which is July 27th next year. I'm a senior at the UO and this will be my first marathon. The event is about 10 months from now but I'm itching to start training! I currently run a low 20mpw because I teach Group Fitness classes 3x a week and am a full-time student. Ran much much more in high school and in my early college years but this year haven't really had too much time to build mileage.

If I follow a 20-week beginner marathon guide closer to race day, what do experienced marathon runners recommend I do to build mileage in the mean time? I need structured training schedules in order to stay focused on my goal. Would it be a bad idea to start the 20-week guide next week and then soon after follow the 20-week guide a second time? (As of today, I have 44 weeks until July 27th)

Thanks!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Sep 24, 2013 6:02 AM (in response to Marisa04)

I would just work on getting a solid base (35-45 mpw).  A 20 week schedule is a long schedule and I think you will find that 20 weeks is plenty to be on a structured plan!  40 weeks you might have some burn out!  Your goal is to peak and be healthy on your marathon.  So I would just start adding some more weekly miles do it slowly and if you need rest take it!  Good luck

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,273 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Sep 24, 2013 7:40 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

The 20 week schedule is designed to have you peak for the marathon.  It doesn't make sense to peak 20 weeks ahead of time, then have to back off and start over.  Use the time to build a solid mileage base and work on other aspects of training, such as adding speedwork and building core strength.  I think for a beginner around 25 miles per week would be a decent base and give you time to mix in some faster paced runs.  More than 25 is OK but 25 will be enough to start your 20 week plan.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...