Skip navigation

2684155 Views 11,409 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2015 6:55 AM by bowman252 Go to original post 1 ... 731 732 733 734 735 ... 761 Previous Next
  • CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,980. Sep 19, 2013 5:16 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I don't think I will ever be able to do that kind of running but I would love to be comfortable doing 5 or even 10K's and some trail running. and it won't be in the 30's here until MAYBE January or Februaury and then for a few minutes at the most. Think running in a sauna ...but i run before the sun comes up and it is tolerable. Gotta get to work.

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    10,981. Sep 19, 2013 7:11 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

You know, as recently as last week I would have told you that I wouldn't have thought I could ever do that kind of running either.  I guess you just never know.

As far as running in a sauna, yeah, we get four to six weeks of that stuff every year up here and it is miserable, doubly so due to the insects which buzz incessantly around your head and try attacking your ears and such.

So, what type of weather do you get in January; good running weather I hope. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Sep 6, 2013
    10,982. Sep 20, 2013 5:43 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

It was actually cool this AM, maybe mid 70's. By January it will average in the 50's sometimes even 40's at night and 70-80 during the day and the humidity drops a lot. It will be perfect running weather.

• gendernaut Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 20, 2013
    10,983. Sep 20, 2013 2:45 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello!

Well I did it - I joined the Couch to 5k program.... zombie phone app and all.

And after being scared to tell anyone for fear of failing and being embarassed, I decided I had to in order to help with accountability.

Shoes are in the mail to me and I've already got some routes planned for the weekend. I'm well over 200lbs and have NEVER run before (well, since I was a very small kiddo). I have a sedentary job and recently turned 40 with the forehead smack that I needed to do something before something did to me. I started Pilates 2 months ago 2 x week. It's too expensive even though I love it. I know I hate gyms. And every piece of home equipment I've ever bought ends up as a place to hang my shirts to dry. So, giving running a shot since it's low overhead and totally portable!

I'm terrified I won't be able to stick with it. I'm scared I'll pull a muscle and thing I'm dying. The weather here is about to get gross soon (Seattle), too, so I'm hoping I can find some joy in showering while I'm jogging!

If anyone is familiar with The Oatmeal comic, this is a long time fav of mine and his multipart cartoon about running is what finally kicked me into trying:  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Aug 9, 2013
    10,984. Sep 20, 2013 6:05 PM (in response to gendernaut)
    200+ Pound Club!

Many congratulations on going for the C25K program; it is well thought out and proven.  One key point which I cannot emphasize enough, "Don't embellish!"  Staying with the program, repeating a week or two if necessary, and not adding to it is the best way to avoid getting hurt and then getting discouraged.

Keep us posted on your progress. 

Fat old man PRs:

• Mydragonflies Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 15, 2013
    10,985. Sep 22, 2013 2:56 PM (in response to gendernaut)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi gendernaut.  I just turned 40 and am 220 and just started c25k a week ago Saturday.  I was shocked at how easy it was, but I have to say, yesterday was tough.  I am hoping that tomorrow will be better.  I can't help but wonder if c25k works as well for those of us who are overweight as it does for non-overweight beginners... I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Anyway, good luck!

"When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't." Thomas Edison

Sep 6, 2013
    10,986. Sep 23, 2013 5:34 AM (in response to Mydragonflies)
    200+ Pound Club!

Of course it is harder for those of us in "the club" just repeat the hard parts until they are a little easier then progress to the next phase. I walked 2 weeks before I worked up the courage to run 1 step. Now I can run 2 miles easily and heve ran most of my first 5K. Just never ever ever give up....and enjoy the journey.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10,987. Sep 23, 2013 7:50 AM (in response to Mydragonflies)
    200+ Pound Club!

C25K is a great program because it works for all sizes.  The only thing I can add to Shippo's advice is go slow and then when you think you are going slow, go slower.  Most people puter out or get injured by going out too fast or running more than the plan calls to run.

When I started out, I could barely run 30 secs and I cried the first day of Week 2..which I didn't start for a few weeks because I kept repeating Week 1.  This past weekend I did the Toughest 10K in Kemah and I am scheduled to do one in October and 1/2 Mary toughest in November.

A girl in our running club did C25K two years and 80 pounds ago.  This past weekend she did a triathlon. 

What you will realize on this wonderful journey is that some days will seem tougher than others, even ones that are shorter or the weather is perfect.  We all will have bad runs.  But you will also have amazing runs.  With enough experience, you will learn to just say...today just wasn't a good run and that is okay. 

I also realized that it takes two miles before I am warmed up enough to feel good in a run.  And some of the experienced runners in my  group that do 14 miles on Saturdays to our 8 miles say the same thing.

Just be patient with yourself.  Don't let fear or doubt creep in and believe me...they try to sneak in all the time.  LOL

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Aug 9, 2013
    10,988. Sep 23, 2013 8:17 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Fluffy,

Congatulations on the 10K this weekend! 

I've heard Kemah can be a tad hot and humid, not exactly optimal 10K weather.  How did you feel coming across the line?

Regards,

Dale

Fat old man PRs:

Sep 2, 2009
    10,990. Sep 24, 2013 8:45 AM (in response to shipo)

Thanks Shipo!  We were more worried about more the rain than anything else.  The news was calling for flash flooding and heavy thunderstorms.  Thankfully half of the race was just cloudy and the last half was pouring rain but no lightning.  If it is lightning they call the race.  I loved the rain, except it really hurt when it hit my face.  Thankfully no blisters but my shoes were soaked. 

I was tired when I finished but happy. 1.  I finished and 2.  I wasn't dead last.  In my age group there were two people behind me.  Well there was just two people behind me period.  But there were still people at the finish cheering us on...especially our running group members that raced in it.  Here are some pics of our running group ( I  am on the far left) and the bridge.  We had to cross it 4 times.

IMG_42691978151649.jpeg

IMG_68802207398131.jpeg

Here is the view going up the bridge:

IMG_40938583124109.jpeg

Restarted 04/01/2013

Aug 9, 2013
    10,991. Sep 24, 2013 12:06 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

Great pictures Fluffy and a fun looking bunch to run with. 

I'm thinking that bridge could generate a few choice words from pretty much any runner, regardless of age or ability.  I know I'd probably fuss about having to traverse that sucker four times.

Here's a shot of me nearing the finish of my latest 5K (the day after I finished the Reach the Beach Relay); I'm the guy in the red shirt, and yes, I got they guy in the black shirt before the finish line:

NearingFinish.png

Fat old man PRs:

Aug 9, 2013
    10,992. Sep 24, 2013 12:27 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I forgot to add, if I'm ever down in your neck of the woods, maybe I can go for a run with y'all.

Fat old man PRs:

Sep 2, 2009
    10,993. Sep 24, 2013 4:49 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

You should totally come run with us!  The next day after the race, we volunteered at the Triathlon in Galveston.  My sister hosted a young pro from Australia and he ended up coming in first place. Afterwards, everyone went to lunch with him and the third place winner.  They shared so much information about training and nutrition. 

Great picture! Who took it?  and are all ya'll wearing skirts or are those kilts?

I was so far behind the next person to cross that I didn't even see them cross.  Heidi, the girl on the far right of picture, came in two minutes after me and then another girl came in about 4 minutes later.  And then it was over. LOL

Restarted 04/01/2013

Aug 9, 2013
    10,994. Sep 24, 2013 6:33 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

You should totally come run with us!  The next day after the race, we volunteered at the Triathlon in Galveston.  My sister hosted a young pro from Australia and he ended up coming in first place. Afterwards, everyone went to lunch with him and the third place winner.  They shared so much information about training and nutrition.

I've had the chance to rub shoulders with a few elite triathletes (back in the early 1990s), and always found them to be very humble, gracious, helpful, and charming; kudos to your sister for hosting the young pro from Down Under. 

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

Great picture! Who took it?  and are all ya'll wearing skirts or are those kilts?

Yup, kilts; the name of the race was "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day 5K", they gave away a free kilt to the first 1,000 to sign up for the race and a free beer to every finisher of legal drinking age.  Now you see why I opted to run even though I was so insanely sore from the 33 miles I ran in the relay I finished the day before (it took me 35 seconds to cross the starting line from where I lined up, all of 20 yards back).   The picture was one of the "official race photos" taken by the photographer always hired to shoot the various running events put on by the Millennium Running Club up here in New Hamster; the previous shot they took of me finishing a race a few weeks earlier was, ummm, not flattering in the least. 

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

I was so far behind the next person to cross that I didn't even see them cross.  Heidi, the girl on the far right of picture, came in two minutes after me and then another girl came in about 4 minutes later.  And then it was over. LOL

You came, you ran, you finished; y'all are winners in my book. 

Fat old man PRs:

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...