Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2119286 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 732 733 734 735 736 ... 760 Previous Next
  • SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,995. Sep 24, 2013 4:49 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

You should totally come run with us!  The next day after the race, we volunteered at the Triathlon in Galveston.  My sister hosted a young pro from Australia and he ended up coming in first place. Afterwards, everyone went to lunch with him and the third place winner.  They shared so much information about training and nutrition. 

Great picture! Who took it?  and are all ya'll wearing skirts or are those kilts?

I was so far behind the next person to cross that I didn't even see them cross.  Heidi, the girl on the far right of picture, came in two minutes after me and then another girl came in about 4 minutes later.  And then it was over. LOL

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    10,996. Sep 24, 2013 6:33 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

You should totally come run with us!  The next day after the race, we volunteered at the Triathlon in Galveston.  My sister hosted a young pro from Australia and he ended up coming in first place. Afterwards, everyone went to lunch with him and the third place winner.  They shared so much information about training and nutrition.

I've had the chance to rub shoulders with a few elite triathletes (back in the early 1990s), and always found them to be very humble, gracious, helpful, and charming; kudos to your sister for hosting the young pro from Down Under. 

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

Great picture! Who took it?  and are all ya'll wearing skirts or are those kilts?

Yup, kilts; the name of the race was "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day 5K", they gave away a free kilt to the first 1,000 to sign up for the race and a free beer to every finisher of legal drinking age.  Now you see why I opted to run even though I was so insanely sore from the 33 miles I ran in the relay I finished the day before (it took me 35 seconds to cross the starting line from where I lined up, all of 20 yards back).   The picture was one of the "official race photos" taken by the photographer always hired to shoot the various running events put on by the Millennium Running Club up here in New Hamster; the previous shot they took of me finishing a race a few weeks earlier was, ummm, not flattering in the least. 

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

I was so far behind the next person to cross that I didn't even see them cross.  Heidi, the girl on the far right of picture, came in two minutes after me and then another girl came in about 4 minutes later.  And then it was over. LOL

You came, you ran, you finished; y'all are winners in my book. 

• medicjajs Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 25, 2013
    10,997. Sep 25, 2013 9:14 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all.  I really like what I've been reading here and I decided to join.  I'm currently sitting around 275-277.  I have not done the C25K program, rather I did the Run Zombie 5k trainer with success.  I measure my success by the daily need to go out and be active.  I have lost 10lbs, but after some scale frustrations I decided to quit looking at the scale as I've had body issue/image problems my entire life and I don't want that to get me off track (I'm 39).  Since doing that, I have run a 5K at 36 minutes and a 10K in a litte over an hour (the 10K was first, and done on a whim).

I try to run 3-4 days a week, 4-5 miles squeezing that in between 12 hour night shifts, 3 growing boys and a wife who works opposite of me (most days I'm a single dad).  I need to work on improving my stride but I'm not so much worried about time as I am of distance, although I would like to see myself in the 7-8 mile/min area.  I believe I read one gets 2 seconds per mile faster for every pound they lose or something, so there's that. I also read frequently that to improve speed, run farther incorporate hill repeats and tempo runs. Either way I hope to continue on in this journey.

• TheMOV.org Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 8, 2012
    10,998. Sep 25, 2013 11:02 PM (in response to medicjajs)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello Everyone! I was reading all and I also decided to join. I would like to call all the runners to join our FUN RUN on October 5, 2013, 8:00 am at Santa Monica Boardwalk.

Come and Join us as we Run on a beachside 5k/10k overlooking the Pacific. Everyone is welcome, the Run is for everybody (Kids, Teenagers, Adults and even Pregnant Women).

Come for the run, stay for the fun! A hallmark of the city of Santa Monica since 1909, the Santa Monica Boardwalk is famously known for its historic carousel,spirited street perfromers, interactive aquarium, and exciting thrill rides. Each weekend, the buzz of excitement on the pier is instantly felt as teens, tourists, and natives alike flock to the wide shores of the sprawling city.

To Participate the MOVRun Santa Monica Boardwalk, Register Now! http://smboardwalk.movsports.com/santa-monica/the-race/

See You All There!

• jgilrdz27 Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 7, 2009
    10,999. Sep 26, 2013 7:42 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone,

My name is Gilbert and I'm from San Juan, Texas (Mexican Border Town).  I'm 35 years of age and my goal is to run my 1st marathon by the time i hit the big 40.  I've recently started running again after a long long... long break.  I was 242lbs at the beginning of the year and im currently at 220.  I started crossfit back in January and been on it since but i love running.  I have to admit though that running does not love me.  I have low archs, shin splints and over pronate .  I started running again and i'm feeling really good.  The reason for me to reply is that i have no idea on how to start getting ready for a marathon when the farthest i've ever ran is 7 miles and that was this past saturday 9-21-13.  Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT 1ST MARATHON....

Gilbert

Aug 9, 2013
    11,000. Sep 26, 2013 7:52 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Gilbert, congratulations on getting back into running and setting a goal for a marathon.

Regarding your biomechanical issues, four bits of advice:

• Find a dirt trail to run on, your body will thank you
    • Get your stride analyzed
    • Get professionally fitted for a good pair of running shoes
    • Join a running club
    Dec 7, 2009
    11,001. Sep 26, 2013 3:25 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thank you for the advice Shipo!!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,002. Sep 26, 2013 4:49 PM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

My pleasure; keep us posted on your progress. 

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    11,003. Sep 28, 2013 9:16 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Gilbert congratulations . I am training for  my first marathon also.  I am doing it with a running group . So first I recommend joining an existing running group that is training for a marathon . If that is not possible , I'll tell you what our group does.  We have one long run a week, on Saturday. It is done at a slower pace than any of our other runs but it is the longest. Three times a week we also do other runs , two 35 minute easy and one either hill work or speed work run..again about 35 minutes long. We also do planks to strengthen our core and squats to strengthen our thighs. 

with these shorter long run you should be experimenting with fuel. You will definitely need some in a marathon. Figure out how much electrolytes you need,  carbs etc. I found the electrolytes pills are great for me and I take armour during my runs with a Gu every thirty minutes, but only the 20mg caffeine ones because the 40mgs make me shaky.

We also try to run once a week barefoot. You shouldn't have shin splints. That is a sign of improper running technique, but you did mention you over pro ate.

Remember shoulders back and relaxed, no clinched fists (waste of much needed energy), practice marching in place, that is how the foot should land, lean slightly forward until right before you are going to fall for award...let gravity help you, and breathe, don't forget to breathe.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Dec 7, 2009
    11,004. Sep 30, 2013 7:46 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thank you so much for your advise SeeFluffyRun... I definitely will look into joining a running group.  as for strengthening the thighs, I do crossfit and trust me we work out our thighs.... as far as figuring out the electrolytes and stuff, do you know of a website where I can go to find this out?  Looking forward to your advise.  I'm so glad I found this blog!!!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,005. Sep 30, 2013 8:00 AM (in response to jgilrdz27)
    200+ Pound Club!

I ran into some electrolyte issues last summer as I was ramping up my mileage; after asking around a bit, the Hammer Nutrition line of products, specifically their Endurolytes Fizz product was the recommendation I got.  I went out and bought some the next day and they made all of the difference in the world.

I know they're not the only game in town, but A) they helped me, and B) when I got roped into joining a 6-person "Ultra" relay team for this year's RTB - NH event, the only electrolyte replacement products the experienced ultra runners had in the van were from Hammer.

• rbowman1234 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 30, 2013
    11,006. Sep 30, 2013 9:17 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all! Decided to start this program today after thinking about it for a bit. I'm glad I saw this thread - I'm just over 300 lbs at 6'4" and have always said that I "hate" running - even though I was a long distance runner in high school track (about 24 years ago...).

Any advice I can get would be most appreciated!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,007. Sep 30, 2013 9:45 AM (in response to rbowman1234)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congratulations on starting your running program!

My advice:

• If you can find a dirt trail to run on, use it instead of roads and sidewalks; your joints, connective tissue, and bones will thank you.
    • As you gain endurance and get stronger/lighter, resist the temptation to run faster; instead run longer until your typical run is six or more miles.  This too will help you avoid injury.
    • Get fitted for a pair of shoes which match your biomechanical structure and your stride; not all human bodies are created equal, and the same is true for shoes.
    • Stretch after you run, not before.
    • Rest is a very-very key component in the early stages of a successful running program; when the program says, "take a day off", then take a day off with no guilt, your body needs the rest so it can get stronger.
    • Keep us posted on your progress.
  • rbowman1234 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 30, 2013
    11,008. Sep 30, 2013 10:24 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for the tips, The dirt track and fitted shoes may be a problem. Our city has extensive jogging/walking tracks, but any dirt portions are very short, and I'm not sure I can swing the $100+ for custom shoes - even though they would help a lot!

Dec 7, 2009
    11,009. Sep 30, 2013 11:04 AM (in response to rbowman1234)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congrats!! I too have started running again after a long period of time.  It's awesome to have this type of support where you can ask questions and people that have been where were at give us advise.  Looking forward to read about your progress.... Slowly but surely!!!!

Gilbert.

San Juan, Texas

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...