Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

852 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 11:16 AM by Kelly1066
Iguezz Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 20, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 20, 2013 5:44 PM

i just ran a 10K, how do i begin to train for a half?

i just started running about 9 weeks ago.  i ran my first 10K this past sunday, 9/15/13 and thought i did an awesome job.  how do i begin to train for a half marathon?  do i start from week 1 or can i pick up right where i left off when i was training for the 10K?  my plan is to run another 10K and a half within 6 weeks and another 10k and half marathon within 9 weeks.  when it's all said and done i would have ran 3 10K's and 2 halves all with less than 6 months of training.  am i doing too much too soon?  do i need to back off a bit?

• shipo Legend 459 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013

A lot depends upon your underlying level of fitness and endurance, but as a general rule, yes, I'd say you might be doing too much too soon, and that can in turn lead to injury.

A few questions:

• Since you started running 9 weeks ago, how many miles have you logged?
    • How many miles per week are you currently running?
    • How old are you?  I ask because younger folks have a better chance of getting away without getting hurt than us old farts.
    • How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
    • What types of physical activities have you done prior to 9 weeks ago?

To put what I wrote above in perspective:

I've been a runner off and on for over 40 years now; I started running again in April and have since logged 821.2 miles, and I am just now thinking I'm ready to run my first half marathon.

• EclecticSpartan Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 8, 2010
    2. Sep 25, 2013 7:12 AM (in response to Iguezz)

There are a number of ways to get started training for a half marathon. Active.com, Runners World, McMillian Running.com and a number of books all have similar training programs that have been used successfully by thousands of runners. You may also want to consider joining a local running store's Saturday or Sunday morning group runs. Many stores offer training programs for runners who want to run in an upcoming half marathon.

America... Love it... or Leave it!

• Kelly1066 Pro 123 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    3. Sep 30, 2013 11:16 AM (in response to Iguezz)

I ran my first 10k in June, and then my first half in September.  I think picking your training plan depends a lot on how many miles a week you've been running, and what your goal is.  Are you just trying to finish?  Are you hoping to meet a certain time goal?  If you're hoping to meet a certain time goal, you'll want to give yourself plenty of time to prepare.  I remember thinking that I would run the same pace I ran 5 or 6 miles in, just for 13 miles by adding on a mile at that pace every other week to my long runs.  It doesn't work like that!  Your pacing is different based on the duration of each event you're running.  Just something to keep in mind.

As you're looking at half marathon training plans, I would make sure you find one where you aren't expected to run more miles than you've been doing in whatever week you pick up the program in.  General rule of thumb is adding no more than 10% to your weekly mileage to avoid injury.  If you're looking at a plan that has you running 30 miles a week, and you've only been running 15, then that plan really won't work for you!

I would be careful not to run too many races - I think that number of races in such a short amount of time is going to take away your sense of accomplishment because you won't be able to give yourself time to train and improve between events.  You also could risk injury if you're racing a 10k when you should be tapering for a half marathon.

Good luck!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points