Skip navigation

667 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2013 7:16 AM by BOSNPM RSS
AmyGerwig Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 30, 2013 9:30 PM

Fall 2014 Marathon's....Best one to do?

Looking to do a marathon in fall 2014. Either trail or road. But I'm thinking trail. What was your favorite? Scenic? Best memory? Help me out

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Oct 1, 2013 5:50 AM (in response to AmyGerwig)
    Re: Fall 2014 Marathon's....Best one to do?

You don't mention an area of the country.  Here are three in the eastern U.S.

Marine Corps - end of October, Washington D.C., well organized (it's the Marines, after all), history, monuments, museums.  Course is flat once you get past a longish hill at mile 1.  Weather usually good.  I have a soft spot for this one since it was my first.  Registration has been a bit of a crap-shoot the last couple years but they're talking about a lottery in 2014.

Wineglass - beginning of October, Corning, NY area lake and wine country, point-to-point, net downhill but not as flat as some claim.  Pretty well organized, good local support.  Weather is variable.

Philadelphia - weekend before Thanksgiving, historic city, nice course through downtown, city neighborhoods and park areas.  Well organized.  About as flat as they come with one moderate hill around mile 9 (unless they change the course).  Weather usually OK, but can be on the cool side and might be windy.

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Oct 1, 2013 7:16 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: Fall 2014 Marathon's....Best one to do?

All three that Len stated are great.  I am running Peak to Creek this year in the mountains of NC mostly downhill the course is stunning!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...