Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

316 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 9:28 PM by Chheang RSS
Chheang Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 26, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 3, 2013 9:28 PM

Help with Heart Rate Training

I'm hoping you could help me with determining my marathon pace (heart rate).  I'm training for an upcoming Marathon (Nov 8th).  I'm a decent runner and got started with heart rate training in the last couple of months.  I'm down to 4 weeks left of training and I'm not 100% where I'm headed with this heart rate training.  I was hoping you could enlighten me.

I run: tuesdays (5mi 70% MaxHeartRate), wednesday (10mi 85% MHR), Thursday (5mi 75%MHR) and Saturdays (long run, this week, 19mi 75%MHR%).

The training schedule has me running this week at 19mi, next week at 12mi, following week at 20mi, and then tapering off.  The weekdays stay the same 5mi @70%, 10mi@85%, 5mi@70%, LONG@75%... and then of course, mileage tapering off for the race.

My question is: I'm running the long runs at 75% MHR and the only real distance I'm doing at 85%MHR is 10mi... what is the heart rate I should be running the marathon at?  I'm completely afraid of running at 85% and not being able to finish.  On the flip side, I'd hate to run the full marathon at 75% and reach the finish knowing that I could have done it faster.

Any thoughts here?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...