Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1200 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2013 2:09 PM by Haselsmasher RSS
Will1314 Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 30, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2013 7:37 PM

Need some help please

I recently started running to get my weight down. 250 lbs 6'1". I am now 210 lbs. I started up in Feb. of this year. Im 40 years old needed a change. I been running 5ks with no real training. I just go out and run and dont come back home till I at least bang out 3.1 miles. I street run as well as run 5k events. I try and run at least every other day and on my off days i do 5 to 6 miles on a eliptical. When I started doing 5ks my average time was 11 min miles. I am now down to 9 or 9 1/2 min miles. I can also run a 1.5 mile in 10.12 done last week during a swat assesment for work. I have a 10 k set up for Nov. as a half way check mark to try and figure out where my running really is.

I want to take my run to the next level and set up a training to reach that half marathon goal. Suggestion help and and all will be taken. Also any advise on supplements I should be taking would be great also need a good sneaker store in Bergen County where its not hit or miss with the staff (what i mean is you either get a staff member thats a runner or you get someone that looks like a runner that knows nothing and is just working for the pay check which to me equals dangerous advice on sneakers)

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Oct 2, 2013 7:50 PM (in response to Will1314)
    Need some help please

Congrats!  What a great story!

You start your post with "recently".  How recently did you start running?

There are quite a few programs out there to guide you through a multi-week training effort to get you to the starting line of a half marathon.  Many (Most?  All?) have a really critical comment about assuming a person is starting at some consistent, multi-week level of mileage.  So depending on how recently you started your program I'd almost encourage you to "hang out" at a given weekly mileage volume and just run that for a number of weeks.  Adding mileage, even when done at that infamous 10% rule, is stressful on the body.  It's hard to continuously add mileage - all the way up to that half marathon distance.  GIve your body time to settle in at certain weekly distance levels and not be pushed to keep adding miles.  Then when you're there for a number of weeks and things feel good - step it up some.

Best of luck!

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

May 25, 2009
    4. Oct 4, 2013 8:27 PM (in response to Will1314)
    Need some help please

The quick math I glommed onto was 65 mi in 30 days.  Doing really rough math means roughly 15 miles per week.

Have a look at the various training plans - but I'm going to guess that most say something like "This training plan assumes you've been consistently running 25 mpw for the last 4-8 weeks."  I'm saying this figuratively, not literally. 

I guess my point is:  I'm going to strongly suspect that those plans will talk in mpw.  So you may want to orient your own volume of running in those units - to help guage wehther you're up to that base or not.

Are you familiar with the 10% rule?  If not:  Increase your *weekly mileage* *or* *average speed* no more than 10%/week.  That will seem painfully slow.  If you're running 15 miles one week that means the next week you can run 15.15 miles.  Although it's called a "rule" it's really just a guideline.  Some can go faster than that, others need to go more slowly.  On average, though, runners who progress faster than that increase even more the chances of getting injured.

Jim

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,321 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Oct 6, 2013 1:29 PM (in response to Will1314)
    Need some help please

Just a quick math check - 10% of 15 is 1.5, so you could run 16.5 miles the next week according to the 10% rule.  Round it to 17.

Len

May 25, 2009
    7. Oct 6, 2013 2:09 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Need some help please

I.  Am.  A.  Loser.  ROFL

Thanks Len.

You know - when I typed 15.15 I thought "Wow!  That 10% rule really DOES seem like a slow buildup!".

I guess this shows that we're lucky it's not the 1% rule.

Jim

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points