Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2079876 Views 11,391 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2014 7:25 AM by shipo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 733 734 735 736 737 ... 760 Previous Next
  • shipo Legend 452 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,010. Sep 30, 2013 11:14 AM (in response to rbowman1234)
    200+ Pound Club!

Speaking strictly from my own personal experience, one can forego expensive shoes if you run on dirt, and (to a lesser degree) one can forego dirt if you get the correct shoes.  Running on pavement in the wrong shoes makes for a "WHEN and not IF" scenario when it comes to getting injured, and being heavy and a beginning runner just amplifies the odds of getting injured (ask me how I know).

When I finally got back into running in 2009 it was because I quit trying to run on pavement and switched to dirt.  Once the "ah-ha" moment hit me that the dirt trail was helping me stay injury free, I started avoiding pavement at all cost.  When I would be on the road for either pleasure or business, I would search out dirt or turf to run on; one of my favorite "cheats" was to find a cemetery or golf course to run around (I even ran around a small airport one time); the caretakers would occasionally get upset with me, but hey, what could they do?  Chase me? 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11,011. Sep 30, 2013 2:28 PM (in response to rbowman1234)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

I honestly think that the biggest advantage of "dirt" trails is that you tend to change to a shorter, more compact stride on trails.  I will also comment that while I like trails, I really dislike gravel.  And of course, many trails are rocks, roots and ruts, which can also make for difficult running.   Dirt, hopefully somewhat groomed, is way better but may be hard to find.

Shoes: Try discount stores, like DSW, Payless, etc.  You can often find "last year's model" of top line shoes at a substantial discount (I saw one $100 pair that I liked that was clearance priced at $42).  Sometimes department stores have a somewhat reasonable selection of shoes that are a little further down the food chain.  Many of these shoes have some support features and may prove satisfactory for a beginner.  Go up 1/2 to a full size over your street shoes - you want a little room at the front.  Find shoes that feel good, run aound the store a little in them if you can.  Take your time and try as many as you can.

Len

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,012. Oct 1, 2013 6:28 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

My next race is Saturday so of course a tooth that has been giving me problems for years had to be pulled yesterday and "no strenuous activity for 48 hours" sorta screwed with my pre race training this week but i will modify and do it anyway. My daughter ran 3 miles yesterday and feels she is ready but said " i'll do it at your pace Mom, this one we do together"

Thanks again I love reading all the advice and support on this site and happy running to everyone.

Sep 6, 2013
    11,013. Oct 2, 2013 5:45 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Was rereading some of the above posts and I can verify that getting the right shoes is sooo important. I love the shoes I run in now, the plantar faciitis and sore knee are al gone and I really think the shoes were the cure. Now to find dirt...most of the trails here are through the forest and coyotes and bears are not my favorite running buddies, but they could help  me increase my speed

Aug 9, 2013
    11,014. Oct 2, 2013 7:11 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Virtually all of my trail runs are in areas populated with coyotes, bears, and fishers (a big honkin' weasle with nasty teeth and claws).  That said, in the several thousand trail miles I've run since 2009, I've seen zero coyotes, zero bears, and exactly one fisher, and while the animal could have done some serious damage to me had I provoked it, he (or she) was satisfied to stay put as we regarded each other before I continued on my merry way.

• PowerFromWithin Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 1, 2013
    11,015. Oct 2, 2013 7:30 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi! My My name is Jaicey. My husband  and I are doing the Warrior Dash 5k in May. I am really excited to start training for it, I ran in HS but that was 20 years ago...lol. I am looking forward to doing something for me. My oldest is starting college next year and my youngest is starting Kindergarten this year I am finished making babies...lol.... and looking forward to getting my pre baby body back...lol... or close

Aug 9, 2013
    11,016. Oct 2, 2013 7:39 AM (in response to PowerFromWithin)
    200+ Pound Club!

Wow, quite a story; congratulations on restarting your running!

The good news is that, with some work (you know, the running bit), you may very well be able to get close to your pre-baby body.  Given that you're giving yourself plenty of time to train for the 5K, it sounds like you should be able gradually ramp up your running so as to not get hurt, and still be in good enough shape to easily run that race in May.

Keep us posted on your progress. 

• Heather Bentley Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 29, 2013
    11,017. Oct 2, 2013 9:59 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hiya,

Just finished the c25k this morning and feeling good, feeling brave enough to venture into the discussion boards. I see so many stories similar to mine and so many encouraging voices. So thanks, and may I say you are all looking fabulous today!

As for me - started c25k at 225, finished  today at 211, been working on the diet as well. Running with my 7-year old daughter is a complete joy. To celebrate making our goal we are running the color run next weekend in San Diego, and super excited about continuing the training for 10k and beyond.

What tips do you have for staying motivated once you've achieved your goal? How do you keep it interesting?

Cheers!

Heather

Sep 6, 2013
    11,018. Oct 3, 2013 5:50 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I know what a fisher is and I honestly think I would rather see a bear...I have had coyotes runing parallel to me about 50 ft away twice but they lost interest and veered away, I have seen bear track and snakes and that is on my road...The critters really don't scare me, people usually scare me more, unless they are also running. This is the first day to run after my adventures in dentistry and it went OK....I probably won't run the whole 5K on Saturday but I will run walk and see how it goes.Wish me luck.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,019. Oct 3, 2013 6:36 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Good luck, be sure to keep us posted on how you make out. 

• Mick Brown Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    11,020. Oct 3, 2013 6:46 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Nice work Shipo!.  The only thing missing is the beer!

I must admit I'm kinda feeling excluded.  I started back running seriously four years ago (I'm 41 now), and I dropped from 235 down to 195 lbs with PRs ranging from 17.02 for 5km and 2.59.41 for the marathon.  Half thinking I need to add a few pounds to be a fully fledged member of the 200 lb club!!

Aug 9, 2013
    11,021. Oct 3, 2013 7:16 AM (in response to Mick Brown)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hey Mick,

I don't think being a 200+ Pound Club alumni is necessarily a bad thing. 

Prior to my Reach the Beach - NH weekend (where the only priority for those of us on "ultra" teams was refueling and rehydrating) I had dropped down under the 200 pound threshold, however, in spite of the 35.9 miles I ran that weekend (32.8 for RTB plus the 5K the next day), I tipped the scale at 203 when all was said and done.  Since then I've been pushing pretty hard and have managed to drop down to 192 as of last evening.  The problem here is that I'm feeling a bit malnourished in spite of the 3,000+ calories I'm eating per day; maybe I should follow your lead and add back a few of those lost pounds. 

Edit: After I posted the above comments it dawned on me that I have a perfect opportunity to add a few pounds on Sunday the 13th; I'll be running the Harpoon Octoberfest Race in Windsor, VT.  Said race offers Kayem Bratwurst and 2 Harpoon beers (make mine their wonderful IPA) at the finish; 3 beers for members of the "Friends of Harpoon Program" (which I am).  Oh yeah!

Regards,

Dale

• Mick Brown Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    11,022. Oct 3, 2013 11:12 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Yes mate.  It's amazing how much weight can fluctuate.  I'm dialing in nutrition in the run-up to Chicago on 13 October and then NYC a few weeks later, then will probably let myself get back up around 200 lbs while I take some time off and get turned around to repeat Comrades in South Africa next year.  And no joke, I usually have 6 - 8 beers a night, even before marathons!

Great to see such a vibrant group of 200 lbs + runners.  There's not a lot of peer-reviewed literature on so-called Clydesdale/ Athena runners.  A guy called Joe Law, started out with some interesting analysis back in the early 90s (sadly, he committed suicide), while Laura Chase out of Cal Poly has written a couple of papers.  Happy to send what I have to anybody who is interested  in reading.

• tclaremont Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 3, 2013
    11,023. Oct 4, 2013 9:40 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

This past weekend was the 5k that I had been working toward. Weather was perfect. Started at 9 AM and crossed the finish line just south of 50 minutes later. Not a great time, and not even one of my better times, but it was my first "official" 5k.

As it turns out, I did a number on my MCL, which is still quite painful six days later. You see, all of my training leading up to the 5k has been on the local high school track. The track is a rubberized surface and considerably more forgiving than the pavement of the 5k course. Not to mention the fact that the 5k course was through roads that were completely in shambles due to a thousand road construction projects all going on at the same time. Needless to say, the difference in running surface was a lot more of a factor than I anticipated.

So, since the weather has been pretty decent here in Western NY state, I have been riding the bike a lot, which imparts less impact on the knees while still providing a lot of cardio. My lung capacity is improving, which I dare say is the limiting factor in my running. I need to slow to a walk not because of lack of strength in my legs but rather a simple lack of lung capacity. Oh.. and the fact that I weigh 260 lbs might have something to do with it, too.

• SilverWhisper Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 5, 2013
    11,024. Oct 5, 2013 7:27 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello all, I am a 41 y/o, 1+ Pack a Day smoker for 25 Years and weigh in at 280 Lbs.  I just quit smoking 6 days ago, and started a C25K 3 Days ago, I just finished Week 1 Day 2 today. My C25K training is being done on a treadmill because I live in Florida, and the humidity here really blows! I am looking for anyone who has been through this and also looking for any advice that I can get.

Thank you

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...