Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2752 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2013 7:10 AM by Kelly1066
Taollie Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 25, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 25, 2013 12:00 PM

Motivation? Are you there?

I did the c25k program almost 4 years ago and got there. I was overweight my whole life, 5'5 and hovering around 230 from the time I graduated HS, and decided, at 30, when my son was almost 2 that I had to change the way I did things. I was terrified of him one day asking me why I was fatter than all of the other moms. I started with watching carbs, shed 20 lbs in 2 months and then decided I wanted to see if I could be a runner. I found the program on the web and convinced my bf to join me.  The program was amazing: to experience never having run more than 1/8 of a mile without stopping to making it to 2.5 miles in 8 weeks was truly unforseeable. By the end of the program, I believe 9 weeks, I was down a total of 65 pounds and then got pregnant again and everything halted. I am now having trouble finding time/motivation to get up and keep going, I run occasionally, but really want to experience that "ahh" again... I had gotten there and was so proud to call myself a runner, it was and still is something I really enjoy but I am having trouble staying on track...I am currently at 175 and nothing makes me smile more than hearing both of my kids ask if they can go walking with me or "you going on your run, mommy?". Seeing all of this as I write makes me think...um this should be enough motivation, but why isn't it? Also, I live in the NE and it is starting to get cold, could use any tips on running in the winter...

Oh, in response to knee pain, because I get a lot of "oh there is too much weight you are going to damage your knees..." I found that doing the yoga pose 'proud warrior' as part of my post run stretch has never steered me wrong...

• ksltRUNS Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2013
    1. Oct 2, 2013 7:46 AM (in response to Taollie)

Hi Taollie!

I sometimes find it very hard to motivate myself to go running.  Here's a list of the things I do to keep myself out the door:

- tell myself that the hardest part is getting dressed and OUT THE DOOR.  then everything works out at the end.  I know I will feel better after running and every training run gets easier if I am persistent with the training.  When I don't run for a while then try to start again, it's incredibly difficult for me to keep up and get over that hump before feeling exilirated from running. What I tell myself is that I have done it before so I can do it again.  My body is capable of this again... I just have to get over the hump (and I will!).

- regularly update my running music and always be on the look out for a good running song

- invest in great running shoes and gear.  When I started running about 4 years ago, I had inappropriate shoes and that led to some leg and knee pain.  I went to a running specific store and got shoes fitted.  When I found my perfect pair, it was like walking/running on clouds.  I was so excited to take them out and it motivated me to keep going.  I also live in the northeast and I invested in an amazing cold running gear, which kept me out the door all winter.  I bought Brooks Silver Bullet running jacket and Under Armour cold gear tights.  The jacket was the most expensive jacket I had EVER bought in my entire life but it was worth every single penny.  With the jacket and a couple of layers of tights, I was able to run down to 25-28 degrees with a few layers.  Oh yes, I cannot forget gloves and ear warmers.  I also buy new running clothes 3-4 times a year which is always a fun motivation!

- find friends to run with.  I make plans with my friends to go for a run so that I cannot flake and leave them stranded by themselves. 

- go to run clubs and workout groups.  I don't know where you live in the NE but I live near Boston and there are a few great running groups that meet regularly.  City Sports, Social Boston Sports, and Lululemon have running groups on different days throughout the week.  November Project is also a great motivator if you live in the Boston area.

Anyway, I hope these give you some ideas on getting motivated.  I always have bad days as well as AMAZING days running; it's just part of the deal.  It's okay to not go when you don't feel well or when you have a terrible run, you can just turn around and go another day. 

Lastly, I have been thinking about making a HUGE sign that says "The hardest part is getting out this door" and hang it over my room door to get myself out there. 

• DanaReneeH Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 25, 2013
    2. Oct 2, 2013 8:38 AM (in response to ksltRUNS)

check out this blog - I am running this   She writes with new runners in mind and she's a mom of 2 very young kids.  I have found her extremely motivational. 

• Kelly1066 Pro 133 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    3. Oct 7, 2013 7:10 AM (in response to DanaReneeH)

Thanks Dana!  I just was over here perusing the boards for a few minutes and saw this post - what a nice surprise!    Glad I've been helpful!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points