Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2049 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2013 9:46 PM by SeeFluffyRun
YUNGBUCK73 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 11, 2013 4:40 PM

350 Lbs Starting out slow

Hey all, I am a 40 year old male, who has abused his body for too long.  I am 350 lbs and am signed up to do a 5k in January in Walt Disney World.

I have been walking about every other day since july or so, with taking about 2 weeks off due to spraining my ankle.  I am averaging about 3 miles a walk averaging about 19 min a mile. 

I have a few questions for anyone who cares to respond.

When I start my walk for the first 1/2 mile or so, i have a pain in my right side what just seems to go away.  any ideas?

Does anyone have any good stretches for before and after?  I googled a few but I think as I get further along with distance and time, I find my calfs and shins starting to hurt.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

• Mydragonflies Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 15, 2013
    1. Sep 25, 2013 7:34 PM (in response to YUNGBUCK73)

Hi there.  I don't have an answer for your side pain.  I just wanted to congratulate you on starting the program and let you know that I hope you are still doing it!  Good luck!

"When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't." Thomas Edison

• TheMOV.org Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 8, 2012
    2. Sep 25, 2013 10:48 PM (in response to YUNGBUCK73)
    Re: 350 Lbs Starting out slow

Hi there! Is that your first walk? Tht is normal at first. Your body is not used in exercise and that's the reason you are in pain. My suggestion would be, before you start the walk,

Have a warm up first fron head to toe.

I hope I have answer your question. Also, you might want to have a Fun Walk on October 5, 2013 Saturday at 8:00am

Please view the site for more details http://smboardwalk.movsports.com/santa-monica/the-race/"

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. Oct 7, 2013 7:43 PM (in response to YUNGBUCK73)

If your shins and calves hurt you might try taking shorter steps.  Especially if you're trying to increase your speed that encourages people to take longer strides.  In general it's better to take more steps frequently and keep the steps short than to lengthen your stride.  The longer your stride is the more work you cause your shin muscles to do - because with ever step your shin muscles have to control getting your whole foot on the ground after the heel strikes.  If it's a long stride that foot is higher in the air - so it taxes the shin muscles more.  I would ice the shins, and maybe trying hanging some sort of weight from your foot and raise/lower your foot rotating the ankle.  You'll build strength in the shins.

I would forget about speed completely.  I think the real objective is to get into a routine and get the brain and body used to going out consistently.  Speed will come with time.  Speed with failed consistency means nothing.  Consistency, even if slower than we woud like, is everything.

Good luck!

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    5. Oct 7, 2013 9:46 PM (in response to YUNGBUCK73)

Is the pain you get like a stitch on your side?  I use to get those when I started running.  Someone told me to stop,  breathe and then start out on the opposite foot.  It seemed to work.  I don't know why but it did. 

Are you landing on your balls of your feet? Sorta like fun running on your toes?  My daughter did that and had shin pain.  We were taught in running seminar to try to strike the ground with your whole foot.  They had is practice marching in place for a minute before we start our run.  Helps train the foot.

If you live near a running store,  ask them if they do running evaluations.  Some stores have representatives from shoe manufactures that do them for for free.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...