Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2184 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2013 2:01 PM by lenzlaw
crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
Nov 11, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2013 3:26 PM

Half marathon pace question

Hi all,

I'm one week away from my third half marathon (Long Beach, CA). This is a big deal for me - although am an experienced racer, I normally do shorter distances (5K/10K). I have trained 9 weeks to get from my 10K base up to half marathon distance, and fortunately it has gone like clockwork (knock on LOTS and LOTS of wood). So I have a question on race day pacing.

I've raced this particular half course twice before, in just over 2 hr each time (2:02:16 and 2:00:50). I am a few years older now, but have evidently lost no speed; if anything, the long training runs have gone a bit faster than before. So my goal is now to break 2 hr. The long run two weekends ago was 13.27 mi at 9:23 pace, total running time 2:04:27, net elevation gain/loss of 799 ft. Per Danielson's calculator, equivalent to 1:59:09 for a half with 80 ft net elevation gain/loss, which is roughly the Long Beach course. Final long run, this past weekend, was 14.16 mi, at 9:11 pace, total running time 2:10:10 with a net elevation gain/loss of 515 ft. Per Danielson's calculator, equivalent to 1:56:48 for a half with 80 ft elevation gain/loss. Both times, per the Garmin splits, no dragging in the final miles - in fact slight negative splits. So far so good.

My question: The half will have a 1:55 pace group, which would be a stretch goal and include race day incentive. However, I'm afraid to hang with them - I don't want to risk burning out early. Instead, my current race day plan is to hang with the 2:00 pace group for the first 6-7 mi and then slowly pull away on the first long straightaway starting at about mile 7. Alternatively, if I'm not quite ready at that point, instead slowly pull away on the final long straightaway (about the 10 mile mark). Does that sound reasonable?

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Oct 6, 2013 7:09 PM (in response to crl8686)

Assuming good weather and feeling good going into the race, go for the 1:55.  I think you should have no problem doing it.

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Oct 7, 2013 6:52 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I agree you have 1:55 in you on a good day.  I would talk with the pacer if you can and see how hey plan to run the race.  If it's sounds good go with it.  On my best half's my 1st mile is all ways the slowest one, with my last two the fastest!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Oct 8, 2013 9:43 AM (in response to crl8686)

Have a great race!  Conditions sound very nice for a 1/2!

• 50 States HALF Marathon Amateur 34 posts since
    Aug 16, 2009
    5. Oct 10, 2013 6:28 PM (in response to crl8686)

Definitely go for the 1:55!!    If fueled right you can do it!  That's shaving off less than 30 seconds per mile, and you've been training consistently, ... you'll do awesome!  Have a great race!!!!!

Sincerely,

Fifty States HALF Marathon Club

www.HalfmarathonClub.com

FSHMC Avatar for Favicon.jpg

The Most Up to Date Half Marathon Calendar on the Web for 2014 Half Marathons

Halfmarathonsearch.com Half Marathon Calendar

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Oct 13, 2013 2:01 PM (in response to crl8686)

Congratulations!  Knew you could do it.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...