Skip navigation

1166 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 4:27 PM by lenzlaw RSS
justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 20, 2013 4:11 AM

questioning

Am I the only runner out there who, after putting in several 16miler training runs, a couple 18milers, and a couple 20milers, that is questioning being able to do 26.2 miles? I've run a marathon before (one, 2 years ago), so I know that I can do it, but after yesterday's 20miler, which I felt that I ran conservatively, I wasn't sure that I had 6.2 more miles left in me. Next week is a down week and then my last 20miler before the MCM. But seriously, am I the only that fights these doubts?

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Sep 20, 2013 5:14 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    Re: questioning

No, though I would think your doubts have more to do with how well you'll finish, than whether you'll finish.  I think everyone gets nervous (taper madness, you know).  I also think that everyone who has done the training knows they'll get through (barring illness or injury).

Len

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Sep 20, 2013 6:19 AM (in response to justamaniac)

Have you clocked your times?  I ask because I deliberately don't clock most of my runs, and any number of times I've thought, "Geez, I feel so slow, I was certainly running faster a month ago."  Then I get the watch out and time myself over my "regular" training run, and like as not, even though I feel slow, I'm actually running the course faster, sometimes significantly faster.

I told you that to suggest this: Could it be that your "conservative" 20-miler was actually at a hotter pace than you thought

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    4. Sep 20, 2013 9:17 AM (in response to justamaniac)

Do you suppose your issue could be something as simple as not enough recovery time between longer and more intense runs?  Your next training run in Florida will be interesting, especially if you get lucky and hit it on a cool(ish) day.

• Currently Being Moderated
    5. Sep 20, 2013 10:37 AM (in response to shipo)

We all have doubts!  This is easy for me to tell you (but hard for me to do) trust your training!  I never go over 18 anymore!  Your Fla run could be harder with the higher humidity.

Jan 18, 2008
    6. Sep 20, 2013 4:18 PM (in response to justamaniac)

You have to plan your running schedule carefully for marathon training, and consider what runs you do each week during your run-up to your long runs.  You may have simply overdone it if you were adding overall mileage the same week(s) that you were doing your 20-milers.  Or you may have simply had a bad day for that 20.  Unfortunately, doing your last 20 in Florida won't be likely to help, unless it goes really well.  Then you'll know, in no uncertain terms, that you're ready.

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    8. Oct 9, 2013 4:27 PM (in response to justamaniac)

You're into the taper now.  17 isn't bad given the change in conditions from what you're used to.  Do a good taper (taper distance, maintain intensity) and you should be fine.  Conditions for MCM should be much better than what you're seeing in Florida.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...