Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

806 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2013 2:00 PM by Stormy-One RSS
Stormy-One Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 11, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2013 5:56 AM

Couch to 5k

Hello,

I am a 46 year old male looking to start running and I am considering the C25K program.

My question is, I am no so much coming off the couch. I am a firefighter and in decent shape just not running type shape. My goal is to increase my cardio and begin to enter 5k races. Could I do this program every other day instead of 3 times a week instead, or should I just suck it up and follow the plan as is? Or could someone recommend a different program?

I like the idea of having an app on my droid like the C25K plan does.

Thank you,

Tim

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 12, 2013 12:12 PM (in response to Stormy-One)
    Couch to 5k

C25K is a generalization.  It represents a progression that fits most people.  People can certainly be in a situation (genetics, current good fitness, etc.) that allows them to progress faster.  BUT, what I would caution you on is don't forget how your tendons and ligaments and bones need to get used to the stresses of running.  If someone is starting from zero their cardiovascular fitness is a natural regulator keeping them from doing too much (to a certain degree).  I think one could make the case that someone who is fit is at more risk of getting hurt - because their lungs can handle the exertion.  But your legs may not be up to the unique stresses of running - not yet.

So my take:  Sure - go faster if it feels ok.  But I'd pay extra caution to how things feel and if something seems off back off.

Good luck!

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points