Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

611 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 10:58 AM by Pati Jones
Karinger Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 13, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2013 3:57 PM

Running shoes

I just started running on the treadmill a few months ago... I did a 5K two weeks ago and about the last mile the balls of my feet felt like I was in heels! they hurt and later I realized I had a blister on my left foot. I wear Brooks shoes and they are pretty much still brand new but now when I'm on the treadmill they hurt also. (They were fine before) Im thinking about getting insoles for them. What brands does anyone suggest?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Oct 14, 2013 7:53 AM (in response to Karinger)
    Running shoes

I think the first step is to figure out what caused your problem/pain, then try to decide on a fix.  Maybe your shoes are just wrong for you, maybe they're badly sized (too small usually).  Maybe your gait/footplant contributed to the problem.  Insoles aren't usuall the solution unless targeted specifically toward the problem.

Len

• Pati Jones Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 15, 2013
    2. Oct 15, 2013 10:58 AM (in response to Karinger)
    Re: Running shoes

I use to run with New Balance but they seem to be to heavy for me.  I decided to use Saucony they have a better heal grip which does not allow the foot to slide out and create friction since I buy my running shoes at least 1/2 size too big.  Since you need the toe room because your foot will swell during a long run that having a narrow shoe or lacing them too tight could cause your foot to spread out into the seams of your shoe which can cause the blisters.  If I were to use a insole again, I would use NB400 from New Balance.  My suggestion is to buy a shoe that has more room in the front you could even go into a Wide shoe but sometime depending on the brand, it would make the heal to wide as well.  I tried the Brooks last year and took them back after a couple of runs as they seem to be too narrow after running about 8 miles.  I tried the Super Feet insoles and those did not work for me.  It just depends on what you are looking for.  Hope this helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points