Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1888924 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 734 735 736 737 738 ... 756 Previous Next
  • tclaremont Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 3, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,025. Oct 4, 2013 9:40 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

This past weekend was the 5k that I had been working toward. Weather was perfect. Started at 9 AM and crossed the finish line just south of 50 minutes later. Not a great time, and not even one of my better times, but it was my first "official" 5k.

As it turns out, I did a number on my MCL, which is still quite painful six days later. You see, all of my training leading up to the 5k has been on the local high school track. The track is a rubberized surface and considerably more forgiving than the pavement of the 5k course. Not to mention the fact that the 5k course was through roads that were completely in shambles due to a thousand road construction projects all going on at the same time. Needless to say, the difference in running surface was a lot more of a factor than I anticipated.

So, since the weather has been pretty decent here in Western NY state, I have been riding the bike a lot, which imparts less impact on the knees while still providing a lot of cardio. My lung capacity is improving, which I dare say is the limiting factor in my running. I need to slow to a walk not because of lack of strength in my legs but rather a simple lack of lung capacity. Oh.. and the fact that I weigh 260 lbs might have something to do with it, too.

• SilverWhisper Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 5, 2013
    11,026. Oct 5, 2013 7:27 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello all, I am a 41 y/o, 1+ Pack a Day smoker for 25 Years and weigh in at 280 Lbs.  I just quit smoking 6 days ago, and started a C25K 3 Days ago, I just finished Week 1 Day 2 today. My C25K training is being done on a treadmill because I live in Florida, and the humidity here really blows! I am looking for anyone who has been through this and also looking for any advice that I can get.

Thank you

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,027. Oct 7, 2013 5:37 AM (in response to SilverWhisper)
    200+ Pound Club!

I live in central Florida and agree the humidity here is oppressive. I started on a treadmill but eventually got bored and started running outside which I enjoy much more. I am sure you have read all the posts on the correct shoes and repeating weeks that seemed just too difficult. I don't feel qualified to give any advise other than that.

I just completed my 2nd 5K and my time was 7 minutes better than the last one. There were a lot of hills but even so I ran most of the race and felt much better about it than the last race. My daughter and I crossed the finish line together, she definitely held back to stay with Mom but it is be a great memory. Oh and GO NOLES...we won 63-0. ( i was hotter and more miserable during the game than the race, Who would have a football game at noon in Florida)

• SpartanJD01 Amateur 20 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    11,028. Oct 7, 2013 7:09 AM (in response to SilverWhisper)
    200+ Pound Club!

Silver,

I'm 43 y.o. man.  I quit tobacco last March, did a little working out last year before getting sidetracked and took it back up this year on Feb 25.  Since that time, I have lost nearly 60 lbs (335 to 275) and went from running a St. Pats day 1 Mile race (Who knew those were really for little kids and grandparents) to running a half marathon in 2 weeks.

Whatever you do, just stick with it.  5Ks have become social races.  There are a lot of us noncompetitive runners in them.  Find one about 9 weeks from now and set your goal to run in it.  Then pick another one about a month later (or a 10K)  Having the races scheduled (and paid for) helps keep me honest with my workouts.

• SingleTraxRobb Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 7, 2013
    11,029. Oct 9, 2013 11:57 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi All. 45 year old guy, former smoker, and newbie trail runner here. I'm hovering around 234 right now, down from about 247, trying to get back to around 225 or so.

Congrats to everyone in this thread who is or has quit tobacco. It's tough but it's worth it. I've been free of it for 10 years now. It does get easier, really it does.

Sep 6, 2013
    11,030. Oct 10, 2013 5:09 AM (in response to SingleTraxRobb)
    200+ Pound Club!

I never smoked but my parents did. They quit when I was in high school. They are now in their 80's and still say it was one of the hardest things they have ever done.

The weather here today is gorgeous. 60's sunny and a light breeze and it is a rest day so I am not out running in it, but rest days are important too and tomorrow it will be beautiful again.

Aug 23, 2012
    11,031. Oct 10, 2013 9:41 AM (in response to SingleTraxRobb)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

I quit booze and drugs in 1990 when I was 20. Quiting and staying off tobacco is tough. I post daily on a website called quitsmokeless.org.   I doubt I would be able to stick with the other healthy changes without staying off tobacco. 

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    11,032. Oct 10, 2013 4:27 PM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

I have never been a smoker nor my parents.  My choice of drug...food. 

However, my husband is a 2 pack a day smoker.  He doesn't do it in the house thank goodness.  A few weeks ago he joined our running group.  He ran faster and longer than all of us in the beginner group and when we were done with our long run....he stepped around the corner for a smoke.

He calls himself a skinny fat man.  He gets bent out of shape if he hits 160.  He eats like crap and smokes.  But he is always complimented on his amazing calves.  If he was a girl, I would hate him out of pure jealousy LOL

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Sep 6, 2013
    11,033. Oct 11, 2013 10:39 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

My drug of choice would also be food, and not the green leafy kind. I have also been known to drink a glass or two of wine. My newest addiction however is running. I really miss it on my rest or sick days. Maybe i am developing a good addiction, wouldn't that be nice. Tomorrow is a 3 mile jog. I will start in the dark and watch the stars fade as the sun comes up....and it is finally cooling off......and maybe some day someone will notice my calves...:)

• JKnow Expert 45 posts since
    Sep 14, 2010
    11,034. Oct 14, 2013 5:06 AM (in response to Heather Bentley)
    200+ Pound Club!

@ Heather Bentley - Have a plan for the next goal BEFORE you finish the one you are on. I didn't and 3 years later I am starting out again... I should have had a 10k goal laid out before or as I finished the C25k. I took a week off that turned into 3 years of starts and stops and have struggled to get back to running again. After I finish C25k, I will do the 5k101, Fastest 5k and then a 10k program...

W3D2 is tomorrow....

Best of luck!

C25k Completed on 10-NOV-10

Veterans Day 5k 13-NOV-10 time 33:32

Turkey Trot 5k 25-NOV-10 time 33:18

Nike+ ID: jknow

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    11,035. Oct 16, 2013 8:05 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

My favorite runs are our Saturday morning runs. I love running the seawall and watching the sunrise over the water.  during the week, I run in the evening, trying to beat the moon coming out. 

After C25K I encourage yall to try a running group.  Becoming part of a running group has changed my whole running world..heck my whole world.  I am surrounded by runners that understand, encourage and advise me all the time. There love of being active has encouraged me to try new things.  I want to take swim lessons so that I can do more than float...perhaps a triathlon down the road.

You will be amazed at all the shapes, sizes, ages and paces that make up a running group.  Even I, slow as molasses self, found someone at my pace and we are best buds now. 

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• AmyClarke1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 28, 2013
    11,036. Oct 16, 2013 9:05 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all. New here and working the Weight Watcher program with success. Unfortunately my body is not a capable as my current motivation would like it to be.

Walking about 1.4-1.5 miles 3 times a week and slowly building to stave off aches and pains... like shins... I recently was diagnosed with sinus tarsi on both side and the hydrocortisone shots have helped things immensely... ok.. so my question is.

I would like to start the C25K program... have a couple apps, but they all start with the 60  seconds of running... which is too much for me right now.

Are there apps that let you shorten the time (say 15 seconds, 30 seconds running, 60 -90 seconds walk, etc), or are already preset to start more conservatively?

I know with additional walking/training and more weight coming off, this will get easier... but right now there just seems to be too much gravitational pull in the mix

• NoRegrets64 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 7, 2013
    11,037. Oct 16, 2013 10:13 AM (in response to AmyClarke1)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone!

I am a soon to be C25K graduate...I have w9d2 this afternoon.  And this past Saturday I swapped w8d3 for my very first 5K ever.  It was at a slow pace (43:42), but I survived and feel great.  I was at 250# when I started, and have been flirting with breaking into the 220s the past couple weeks.

I look forward to sharing some of our future accomplishments.

@AmyClarke1-I did most of my C25K on a treadmill.  It really help me with pacing and maintaining a speed as I increased times.  Do you have access to one?  One thought that came to mind was that you might start and repeat week 1 by just using different walking paces (fast for run times and slower for walk times).  Once you build up some stamina and speed doing the fast walks for 1 minute...the next week you will probably be able to do a slow 1 minute run.  Just a thought.

@SeeFluffyRun-What can I say...you are such an inspiration!

NR

Aug 23, 2012
    11,038. Oct 16, 2013 10:35 AM (in response to NoRegrets64)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome Newbs.  Amy - just get moving and do the best you can.  If its easier, don't pay attention to time or distance, just do what you can, and then try to do a little better the next day. 

I ran a 5K on Saturday and cut 3 minutes off my June time - 35:26 and ran 13 miles Monday at about 3:00 as my final training run before a half this Sunday.  All of this in 8 months. 

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,039. Oct 16, 2013 10:54 AM (in response to AmyClarke1)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

AmyClarke1 wrote:

I would like to start the C25K program... have a couple apps, but they all start with the 60  seconds of running... which is too much for me right now.

I'm thinking you might want to simply create "Week 0.5" and halve all of the running bits in Week 1.  Repeat this pre-week as necessary until you think you're ready to graduate to Week 1. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...