Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3521 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2013 7:18 AM by shipo
sweetgirl37 Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 14, 2013 6:34 PM

Getting started...

I have no clue how!

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Oct 14, 2013 8:15 PM (in response to sweetgirl37)
    Getting started...

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Oct 15, 2013 6:01 PM (in response to sweetgirl37)
    Getting started...

The advice from Haselsmasher is very good, find a "Couch to 5K" (aka C25K) program and follow it (repeat weeks as necessary but don't embellish).

Another thing you might consider for your next 2.5 mile walk is to jog say from "here to that tree up yonder", and/or jog say the last fifty yards.  Next time do it a little longer and/or a few more times.  Sooner or later you'll be jogging more than you'll be walking. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. Oct 15, 2013 6:13 PM (in response to sweetgirl37)
    Getting started...

There are as many ways as you can count to get up to being able to run reasonably long distances.  The advantage of the C25K program is that it incoprorates in the wisdom of many many many runners and people have gone from the couch to being a runner.

It's awesome to hear about the reaction to your walk.  Tap into that.  Use that energy to focus on going out consistently.  In fact - you might consider even forgetting the C25K for a week and just go for a walk 4 days a week.  Get used to going out and being outside.

For all the C25K is a great program - don't become a slave to it.  If you're following it and it seems particuparly tough at some point - repeat a week.  The real purpose of the program is get someone into a running program/routine so they enjoy enough that they keep with it after the program is complete.   So a runner that takes 18 weeks to complete the program - but is a happier and more enthusiastic runner at the end - is more successful than someone who completes it in 9 but is so frustrated that they go back to the couch. 

In my opinion - if you orient yourself toward going out consistently and for the long haul, and not getting too wrapped up in being on the program or increasing distance every single outing - then you're more likely to be successful.  And you'll probably be happier as a result.

Best of luck!

Jim

P.S.:  Don't worry about how you look!  As I've heard people say:  No matter how slowly you're going, you're infinitely faster than the people on the couch.

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    6. Oct 16, 2013 1:12 AM (in response to sweetgirl37)
    Getting started...

Congratulations on making the decision to become healthier and running.

C25K is a wonderful program. If you have an Iphone or Android phone there are plenty of free apps that offer the C25K program.  Choose one that allows you to play  your own music.  And Jim is right, you are not a slave to the program.  I repeated week 1 several times and week 2.  Now I am running my second 10K this weekend and my first marathon in March. 

Do listen to your body.  Don't try to run more days than what the plan calls for  Start out slow and then start slower. Seriously, even elite runners do their long runs at a slower pace than their other runs.  And for anyone doing C25K, each run is a long run for the new runner.  I wear several headbands to remind me. One is "looks like walking, feels like running" or "Slow is the new Fast"  or one that has a turltle on it and says I AM running!

Proper apparel can make the difference also. Get fitted for proper shoes to prevent injury.  I lock and load my bum and my *****. I use a maia or Juno bra from moving comfort.  My capris are C9 premium from Target.  The less you jiggle, the more in control you feel.

You will find that runners are the most encouraging supportive group of people.  90% of them pass me up saying good job, give a thumbs up or say "keep it up"...sometimes they are in the zone and say nothing and that is okay but most of the time they say something positive.

You will find over time that you will have some horrible runs and some great runs. We all do. I joined a running group and realized even the runners that have run marathons or ultramarathons have their off days.

I realized that the first two miles are always the hardest for me.  It takes that long for my body to get into a rhythm and stride. I would have never discovered that and would have given up if I had not done C25K.

Our running group has two gals (one being me) over 220.  The other gal has diabetes and other issues but since she started running, her medications have been decreased.  Two other gals in our group use to be 200+ but one has lost 150 pounds and the other has lost 80 pounds. One just ran the Chicago marathon this past weekend and the other is training for a triathlon. Both of them couldn't run more than 30 secs 2 years ago.

Believe in yourself and know that you are not alone. 

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Aug 9, 2013
    7. Oct 16, 2013 7:14 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    Getting started...

Good post Fluffy, as always, your comments are both spot on and inspiring to read. 

A marathon next March?  Wow, I'm impressed; good for you.  I'd love to be in the sidelines cheering you on!

Fat old man PRs:

Sep 2, 2009
    8. Oct 16, 2013 7:53 AM (in response to shipo)
    Getting started...

Yes, and I must say I am a bit nervous.  But the course in 4 loops on the trails that are 100 yards from my doorstep so I find comfort in that.  My house is going to be the hub for all those coming to cheer me on or run portions with me.  They are going to BBQ, drink play games....I mean I figure they will be there for at least 7 if not 8 hours. LOL

I wonder if I am allowed to wander that far off the course for my potty breaks?  My own home beats a porta potty anyday.  I hope the day is cool. 

Restarted 04/01/2013

Aug 9, 2013
    9. Oct 16, 2013 10:48 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    Getting started...

Too funny, back in 1979 when I ran my one and only marathon, I needed to "go" at the 12-mile mark, and as I was running by a house with a bunch of kids out in the front yard, I asked if I could pay a quick trip to their bathroom.  They happily obliged and the course marshal standing out front at the 12-mile mark didn't have an issue with my little side trip. 

Fat old man PRs:

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Oct 16, 2013 8:10 PM (in response to shipo)
    Getting started...

Technically, it is OK to leave the course as long as you re-enter at the same point.  It would take a real stickler of a course marshall to say anything, unless you were in competition to place either overall or in your age group.

Len

Sep 2, 2009
    11. Oct 16, 2013 10:08 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Getting started...

Len..you crack me up....running to place.....too too funny.  I laugh because just today I was looking at the results for the last two years just to see the LONGEST time and told myself...I just have to be one second faster than the last person.

I pass my house 8 times on the route so I think I will stop there. I may regret the extra 200 yards each time at the end.

However....because I am sooo high maintenance.  I have asked my husband to hire a Mariachi band to meet me at the finish line.  By the time I come in, I know they would have done all the awards and 95% of the people will have gone home, if not more. I want all the pomp and circumstance that I feel I deserve...and who is louder than a mariachi band?

But it is an Irish themed event...nah, I am not into celtic music (Is that Irish?)

Restarted 04/01/2013

• justamaniac Legend 208 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    12. Oct 18, 2013 5:55 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    Getting started...

A mariachi band...  I love it....

-bill

Aug 9, 2013
    13. Oct 18, 2013 7:18 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    Getting started...

I agree, nice touch! 

Fat old man PRs:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...