Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

428 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2013 7:18 AM by wahooka RSS
merrileeg Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2013 5:50 AM

Cracked Rib(s)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I fell during my last long training run and cracked a rib or two. The bones are not displaced at all, just lots of pain. My first 50K is in three weeks. Is there any hope?

Thanks.

• shipo Legend 453 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Oct 15, 2013 6:13 AM (in response to merrileeg)
    Cracked Rib(s)

Many years ago I cracked three ribs playing "touch" football.  I took a few days off of running immediately after the game, and when I started back in, I found that the first half mile was near agony, however, once beyond that point my breathing got easier and by a mile or two, I barely felt the ribs.  Once I was done running I was able to move pretty much pain free for a half hour or so before I started tightening up and getting sore again.

Long story short, yes, I believer there is lots of hope. 

• wahooka Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 19, 2008
    2. Oct 20, 2013 7:18 AM (in response to merrileeg)
    Cracked Rib(s)

Bummer on the cracked ribs. I have done that a few times. You can try too wrap them, but it never helped me that much. Honestly the only thing that helps is time.

Sorry didn't have more.

GL

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points