Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2082343 Views 11,392 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2014 12:34 AM by Ferrylights RSS Go to original post 1 ... 735 736 737 738 739 ... 760 Previous Next
  • CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,040. Oct 18, 2013 5:40 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

I may be the slowest runner ever. People pass me walking. I am still looking for some trails to run and someone to run them with. I do not want to be on the news. "Runner found .....details at 11"

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11,041. Oct 18, 2013 7:17 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

CynceRN wrote:

I may be the slowest runner ever. People pass me walking. I am still looking for some trails to run and someone to run them with. I do not want to be on the news. "Runner found .....details at 11"

Too funny; this last Monday I figured I'd be the first person on this board who's lifeless body was going to be reported on the "News at Eleven".  I went for a trail run on a new (to me) trail behind the campus where I work; a few co-workers had told me the trail was a good one but rather hilly, so I didn't think twice about heading out for a quick six after work.

Best laid plans of mice and men and all that...

We've had a lot of torrential rain since my co-worker's had run the trail, and said rain had washed away a lot of the top soil, exposing rocks so diabolically placed they were a broken ankle looking for a place to happen, and as I've "Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt", twice now, I took it real easy, trusting that over the next hill things would get better.  The trail was a complete tease as sure enough, "over the next hill" things would indeed get better. and then worse, much-much worse.  Then I got lost.

I incorrectly assumed that sooner or later the trail would come out to a road or something so I kept going; silly me.  Then it got dark.

I blundered around a bit attempting to retrace my steps; didn't happen, too many cross trails and "forks in the road" (probably a few "Roads less traveled" among them).  Then I saw a sign which said something to the effect of, "No Tresspassing!  Heavy weapons in use!  State Division of Prisons."

I turned my tired butt around and looked for another way out.  Eventually I started hearing some road noises and started working my way toward the noise; another fifteen our twenty minutes later I saw what looked like the cemetary next to our office through a break in the trees, turned that way and immediatly hit the brakes.  Then I saw the very large, white fluffy tail meandering through the underbrush; my brain screamed "SKUNK!"

After backing up into the woods I let Monsieur LePew take his time moving on and finally managed to get back to the office about an hour after sun set.

So much for my "Quick Six". 

Sep 6, 2013
    11,042. Oct 22, 2013 5:46 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Running with you sounds hazaedous. I found, a little trail and on Sunday I ran 4 miles, 2 on trails.  My longest run ever and the dirt is very forgiving. Sunday I am going hiking with a hiking group and will check out some other trails that I may be able to run on weekends. Now I have to find some running buddies. Oh, and I am signed up for a turkey trot in Ocala and my daughter is coming down to run with me. Actually she is comimg because Mom cooks the food she loves but she will run for food. Word to the wise, avoid prisons and skunks and agressive rock piles, or cairns as the grandparents called them....and you looked great in that kilt. .Happy running

Aug 9, 2013
    11,043. Oct 22, 2013 7:24 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Yeah, trail running does have its pluses and minuses; I'll be avoiding that trail in the future.

Your daughter needs a new T-Shirt; I ran an Octoberfest race a week and a half ago and saw a good prototype for her shirt, a guy had a shirt on which said "Will run for beer" (did I mention the race was sponsored by a brewery?), and his dog was wearing a matching wrap which said, "Will run for food".

Thanks for the comment on my kilt; first time I've ever worn one. 

Regarding Turkey Trots; I'm signing up for the Detroit one this year as I'll be visiting my brother for turkey day.  Like you I'll also have my daughter with me and as fortune would have it, the Detroit Turkey Trot has a "Drumstick Double!" where one can sign up for both their 10K and their 5K immediately after; I'll run the 10K by myself, and then run the 5K with her.  Sounds like a great time. 

• SpartanJD01 Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    11,044. Oct 22, 2013 7:48 AM (in response to shipo)

Shipo, I'm in the D, running the 10K - see you there.

As for my first Half this weekend, it didn't go so well.  I made a lot of beginner mistakes that I should have avoided from having read plenty of good advice in this forum.

First, I ran 13 miles last Monday, to prove to myself that I could do it.  I rushed into running this half after completing a 15K in September.  So this was my first time at this distance.  I thought 6 days recuperation would be sufficient.  I ran this training run really slow, but I ran 13 miles with minimal walks at a few drinking fountains/bathroom along the way.

Second, I started off too quickly.  This race had a 'velocity challenged' start an hour ahead of the main start.  Really cool idea for us Penguins.  I still went off too fast.  Clocked pretty close to 12 minute pace for first five miles.  Should have been around 13. 

Around 9 miles I was completely gassed and walked a ton in the last hour.  Still ended up at 2:58, under 3:00, which I was shooting for, but probably would have felt better if I had run the whole way and been a little slower.

Good lessons learned for the next one.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,045. Oct 22, 2013 8:02 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)

Cool, I'll see you at Cobo; I'll probably be running in the same red Reach The Beach-New Hampshire 2013 shirt I was wearing when I wore the kilt in the Halfway to St. Patrick's day race.  Picture posted here: http://community.active.com/message/1365890#1365890

Beginner mistakes, geez, we've all made them (in spite of the good adivce we were given beforehand); they're part of the process of learning I guess. 

Congratulations on your first half, I've never run a half marathon; maybe next year.

• Hilzabub Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 22, 2013
    11,046. Oct 22, 2013 8:19 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello, new poster here.  I was holding off posting until I finished C25k.  With my 3rd 5k completed this weekend, I have graduated.  Checking my notes,  I started out at 282 lbs at the end of July, and am currently 272 lbs and 45 years of age.  I've started the program a couple of times, but this time it stuck. 

I am now trying to get faster and go farther.  I ran the entirety of my last 2 5ks with my wife running alongside me, but still took 42 and 48 minutes (the last one was pretty hilly) to finish.  I used the timed version of C25k, so that's actually quite a bit longer than my typical workout of 30 minutes running.  My wife was quite athletic until we started having children, so she jumped straight in to 10k distances, and I'd like to join her there sometime, and maybe even do a half-marathon next fall.

It's great to see all the other posters here sharing their struggles and successes.

Aug 23, 2012
    11,047. Oct 23, 2013 7:11 AM (in response to Hilzabub)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hilzabub,

Glad to have you aboard. Keep up the good work.  We are in similar boats.  43yo and in the 270s.  There are some more experienced folks here who might give a different recommendation, but I would suggest that you stick with long, slow distance for a while longer before worring about times.  When I was at that stage, I was running 2 short runs (2 miles?) and 1 longer run on a track.  I would just add a lap a week on to the long run.  But, most of all, listen to your body.  I would occasionally take a week or two off at that stage (maybe do some recumbant bike) to avoid shin pain.

Keep up the good work. 

Aug 9, 2013
    11,048. Oct 23, 2013 7:34 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

Yup, exactly what SpartanJD01 said.  Sticking to long slow distance (LSD) will help you avoid injury, and believe it or not, LSD running can serve all of your need for speed for quite some time.  Once you get your race pace down to say, seven minutes per mile or less, then you will most likely have built the foundation within your body to endure speed drills without getting hurt.

FWIW, I started running this last April, and of the 900+ non-race miles I've run since, every single mile has been slow; everytime I feel like I'm strong enough to go faster, I go further instead.  The thing is, even though I typically train at a pace within thirty-seconds either way of a ten-minutes per mile, I'm still able to turn in low to mid sevens when I race, and hopefully by next year I'll be flirting with a pace under seven minutes per mile for a 5K distance.

• Bocefas Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 13, 2012
    11,049. Oct 23, 2013 4:14 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am so happy I found this thread…I didn’t read all of the entries obviously but I can connect with every one I did read and I look forward to reading more.  I don’t want to bore anyone with my story but I am inspired to share so I will apologize in advance.   About 14 months ago, I was at a fairly low point in my life:  40 years old, just finalized my divorce, left with basically nothing.  My Uncle succumbed to the cancer that he had been fighting for 3 years.  Things were being restructured at work.  I would think it would be safe to say I was depressed.  The cherry on top of it all was when my Doctor told me I weighed 290 lbs.  Great.  My blood pressure was through the roof.  Fantastic.  It seemed like no matter where I was or what I was doing I was under some sort of pressure.  All it seemed like I was doing was working and waiting to go back to work.  One afternoon I was feeling a bit stir crazy so I decided to go for a walk to try to clear my head. I left my house and headed out without a plan, without thinking even.  I was walking and thinking, thinking and walking…before I realized it I was quite a distance from my house…far enough away that it would be shorter for me to continue the way I was walking and complete a loop then it would be to turn around and go back.  So that’s what I did.  The next day, I did it again…and again the day after that.  It felt great!  So then I thought, if walking is good, running must be better, right?   When I was a kid, my Dad started running (at age 30 I think).  He ended up running just about every local race there was, travelling to run in more races, and completing over 50 marathons.  He has a large display case full of trophies and medals at the house and he ran like that for 25+ years.  Eventually the thousands of miles he accumulated led to nagging injuries and he had to essentially give it up. Well, back to me…anyway, so one day on my walk I decided to jog.  I maybe made it 100 yards and it felt like my heart was going to leap out of my chest.  Back to walking, but now I was pissed.  I kept at it but was very self-conscious about it.  Every time I would hear a car coming I would walk because I didn’t want anybody to see this fat guy trying to run.  But, every time I went for a walk I would run as much as I could…every time a little more and a little more until about a month into it I could run the whole loop.  Now I started to develop a plan. My plan:  I’m going to be a runner.  I’m going to lose weight; I’m going to get healthy; I’m going to stick with it.  I’m going to join a gym.  I’m going to offer support to those who need it and seek support from those that can offer it.  At 40, I am going to change my lifestyle. I bought real running shoes.  I joined a gym.  I started tracking my calories.  I started losing weight.  I wore out those running shoes and bought another pair.  I met guys at the gym who held me accountable.  “Where were you yesterday?”…  You’re not quitting are you?”…”Did you run outside yesterday, is that why I didn’t see you?  How far did you go?”…”You ran how far?  You’re nuts!”. All winter I was steady eddy with all of it.  By the time spring rolled around I was down to about 210 pounds and feeling great.  I was running a lot; I entered races and actually had fun running them.  Maybe the best race I ran in was the Boalsburg Memorial Day race; my Dad was able to run it with me and we ran it together.  He has been battling injury for the past 5 years…his joints are just worn out.  As I ran with him, I remembered how he was at my age, how fast and effortlessly he ran, how he derived absolute joy from being out on all of those long runs.  Now I was in his old role…I was jogging beside him as he struggled up the hills, he was complaining about all the faster he could go but I knew how happy he was to be out none-the-less.  It was during that race I decided to attempt what my Dad had accomplished so many times:  I was going to run a Marathon. I picked the Mt. Nittany Marathon for several reasons:  It was close to home; it was the first running of it; I could train on the course if I wanted to.  I entered before I could talk myself out of it, then I told my Dad.  He said, rather emphatically:  “You’re nuts; that’s too early for a marathon…it will be too hot.”…  “Wait until Harrisburg, it’s in November and the course is flat.”  Too late Dad, I’m in… Well, I will spare you the training details, I will just say I ran…a lot…and then I ran some more.  I lost a little more weight, got down to about 193 at my lightest I think.  But even with all of that work, let me tell you…a Marathon is HARD.  My Dad was right, it was too hot, disgustingly so as a matter of fact, but I was able to finish it in just over 5 hours.  I wanted desperately to run it in under 4:30 (10 minute miles) but the weather wouldn’t allow me to do that.  I fade like a dainty flower in the heat, so I was just happy to finish it.  Dad called me on his break at work to see how I was.  I told him I finished; he told me he was proud of me.  I was proud of me too.  In one year, I went from barely being able to run 100 yards to running a marathon. Today, a few weeks shy of my 42nd birthday, I think I am in a pretty good place.  In 14 months,  I lost almost 100 pounds.  I’m stronger, faster, and lighter than I have been in 20 years.  I go to the gym 4 days a week.  I run every day but Sunday…Sunday I do a Spin Class of all things…but that is another story…

Sep 6, 2013
    11,050. Oct 24, 2013 5:34 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Where is the race in Detroit? I was raised there and my daughter was born there. It should definitely be cool for that race. I remember shivering through a lot of Thanksgiving day parades.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,051. Oct 24, 2013 7:13 AM (in response to CynceRN)

The races start from Woodward & Congress, just a few blocks from Cobo Hall.  I was born and raised there as well, however, since I moved away in 1975, I haven't really spent much time in southeast Michigan.  The runs should be fun. 

Aug 23, 2012
    11,052. Oct 24, 2013 8:24 AM (in response to shipo)

First, welcome, Bocefas.  That was some story.  Surprised myself by reading the whole thing.  I hope you stick around.

As for the Detroit Trukey Trot, it is right downtown, you run some of the parade route.  The parade follows and then the Lions' game.  Plenty of tailgaters, etc.  Weather was really nice last year and they broke attendance records.  Moving the course to prevent massive logjam at the finish they had last year.  Hope it works.

• mdegueurce Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 24, 2013
    11,053. Oct 24, 2013 2:23 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Well I'm new here and want to introduce myself. A little short backstory first, I'm 30 years old and engaged to my fiance. We planned on getting married next year so in order to get in better shape for ourselves, and our future together, we joined a gym. I had found the C25K app a while back and decided it was now or never. We joined at the end of July and by Mid August I had a slightly torn LCL and was out of running, too much too fast without proper strength training and stretching! BEWARE for anyone new, stretching and strength training are VERY IMPORTANT! Ok down off the soapbox, so I listened to my doctor and stayed off the knee for a week and started riding a bike for a few weeks. By the beginning of September I was back to running. Last weekend, October 19, I participated in my first ever 5k. It had a lot of meaning to me to run this race as my first race. Back when I was in my freshman year of high school my mom got invovled with Komen (Race for the Cure) and pulled me with her. For the next 10 years we volunteered (her as the head of volunteers and me as "I'll go wherever and do whatever you need me to do" volunteer). So on October 19, 2013 15 years after we helped start our local race I participated in the race. I didn't run the entire race but I did what I could. I found a guy who was about my height and ran about as fast as I did and I followed him, when he ran I ran, when he walked I walked. I finished right behind him in 40minutes 51seconds and 118th place for females.

I am running a race this weekend, another Race for the Cure - this time in New Orleans with a friend - and my only two goals for this weekends race are 1. to finish and 2. to finish in 40 minutes and 50 seconds or less! I'm excited about running and while I haven't lost much weight from it I'm happy to say that at age 30 I'm no longer taking blood pressure medicine like I have been since I was 28. That is the best outcome I could ask for.

I look forward to getting to know many of you on this forum!

• Bocefas Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 13, 2012
    11,054. Oct 24, 2013 2:39 PM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

I'm sticking around, that's for sure!  Did a 13.5 mile training run this morning with a friend of mine from work.  She is one of those fast tiny runners but she takes pity on me and slows down a bit...but still pushes me!  We ended up running the loop in 2:08...I registered for a half marathon in December; my goal is under 2 hours...that would be lightning speed for me!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...