Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1342 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2013 12:12 PM by Rich in NH
mehgan ann Amateur 14 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2013 9:05 AM

Achilles injury 3 weeks out from marathon

Hi Fellow Runners,

I just wanted to see if I could get some feed back from any of you......I am running the NYC marathon in less than 2 weeks (Sun. Nov. 3).  I began experiencing pretty uncomfotable achilles pain about 3.5 weeks ago.  Then 3 weeks ago attempted to do my 2nd to last long run (was planning for 18.....stopped at 15.5 bc the pain was so intense) after going through ultrasound and x-rays last week i was diagnosed with Achilles Tendonitis, a slight tear, bursitis.....was told no running until the starting line at NYC.  Happy that I still get to attempt this marathon.....but having a lot of fear and trepidation already bc I cut my 2nd to last long run short (that i spoke of above) and then missed what would have been my 20-miler this past sunday.  Wondering if any of you have been cut off at this point in training before?  Fearing bc my longest run was only 15.5 and that was 3 weeks from race and I also am going to be missing out on at least 6 total hill/speed workouts.  My main question is, if you have had a similar experience, or been through this with other, what should I expect race day?  Will I even make it, realistically, the 26.2?  Thank you so much for any feedback/advice you can offer!  I am now cross training a bit at least, after the full week off.  Thank you!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Oct 22, 2013 10:30 AM (in response to mehgan ann)

The main thing, obviously, is to get the achilles into good enough shape to attempt the marathon.  (I have to say I'm a little surprised that doc said it was OK to do. Most are more conservative than that.)  I had a similar experience a number of years ago except it was my shin, which went nuts about 16 miles into my last 20 miler.  I struggled through the last couple miles, then basically took three weeks off.  I did a short run a couple days before the marathon just to remind my legs of what to do.  Can you do it?  Probably.  Cross train as much as you can to maintain aerobic fitness.  Cycling or elliptical would be good if allowed because they make use of the leg muscles.  Lower your expectations for the marathon.  You will have missed a long run and a couple of weeks of running.  Start the race slowly and see how it goes. 

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Oct 22, 2013 5:58 PM (in response to mehgan ann)

There are techniques for rehabbing the achilles.  Active Release can be part of your recovery, if you can find (and afford) a good practitioner.  You might check with your doctor.  I don't know if any specific rehab was recommended.  Another technique is shown here: http://www.nismat.org/patients/injury-evaluation-treatment/lower-body/eccentric-training-for-treatment-of-achilles-tendinosis.  Again, you should check with your doctor.  If you decide to use it, use extreme caution and stop if there is any pain. You don't want to do anything that might make it worse.

Len

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    4. Oct 23, 2013 4:24 AM (in response to mehgan ann)
    Re: Achilles injury 3 weeks out from marathon

If I'm reading your post correctly, you'll have not run in over 5 weeks by the time you toe the line at NYC.   Between that and your lack of long runs, I doubt you'll have the kind of day you're hoping for on race day.

Achilles injuries and Bursitis in the bursa where your Achilles attaches to your heel are serious, do yourself a favor and step off the course if you start feeling any pain during the race...

And good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,163 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    7. Oct 23, 2013 7:41 AM (in response to mehgan ann)

The Hash House Harriers often describe themselves as a "drinking club with a running problem." It's no wonder why these two addictions are often found together.. Hard to quit, isn't it?

But it's more than that, especially with marathoning. Months of preparation, the cost of registration, the exclusivity of popular events like New York, all combine to make a compelling case for staying on course with plans to run a whopping 26.2 miles, even with an obvious injury. Doesn't matter what we say, a lot of folks are still going to do it.

So, join the crowd, been there, done that. Just start thinking about the next marathon on your list, hard enough for it to become a reasonable alternative. And please.. No Speed Work, at least until this injury clears up. I once took a whole six months off when my achilles was so bad you could hear it moving when I flexed my foot, then bounced back to do bigger and better things after a long recovery. Your choice, but I'll bet you will fare better if you skip this one. Think about the longer term, and which strategy can make you more competitive over time.

Good luck, but more importantly, may the best choice win.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    8. Oct 23, 2013 12:12 PM (in response to mehgan ann)
    Re: Achilles injury 3 weeks out from marathon

Hi Meghan... you asked, so I have to say JamesJohnson's advice is spot on, odds are your achilles is going to shut you down before you finish NYC.

If you insist on running, (and I couldn't blame you if you did) just be sure to stop if your achilles starts to hurt.   You have my sympathy, you've obviously worked hard to get ready and now this.

Hang in there and good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points