Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

973 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2013 6:59 AM by justamaniac RSS
Polarpower Rookie 8 posts since
Oct 2, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 23, 2013 11:37 PM

Speed?

I have been sticking with this program of couch to 5k. I am now on my last day of week 6 where I am suppose to jog/run for 2 1/4 mile or 22 minutes. I do this program on my treadmill by the way. When I first started I was jogging at 6 mph and found I had to stop to catch my breath, therefore I slowed it down to 5 mph. I am able to jog easily now and not having to stop to catch my breath. I was wondering if I should be trying to increase my speed during this program a little at a time or continue at 5 mph until I finish the program? I do plan to increase my distance and speed after I finish this 5k program. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Oct 24, 2013 5:40 AM (in response to Polarpower)
    Speed?

Don't worry about "speed" just yet. What you are doing right now is building up your body's endurance. Soon you will be able to run throughout your desired distance, be it 2 miles or 3, without having to stop to walk. Once your body is accustomed to to being able to do that, then you can work on increasing your speed a tad, or perhaps doing short intervals at a faster pace. But ignore the quest for speed just now - build your body up for running, and then work on breaking the sound barrier :-)

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Oct 24, 2013 6:59 AM (in response to Polarpower)
    Speed?

For the record, I couldn't run a quarter mile without stopping when I started running a mere 4 years ago... I built up my endurance 20-30 ft at a time and 2 years later I ran a marathon. More importantly, I feel so much better from a cardio-vascular perspective.

You mentioned that you were training on a treadmill - if your situation permits, try running outdoors. You may actually find it easier... I did.

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points