Skip navigation

642 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2013 8:25 AM by shipo RSS
justamaniac Pro 180 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 24, 2013 5:54 AM

cool weather start

What is the consensus re apparel for the pre-dawn, pre-start high 30's?  I'm planning of running in shorts and ditching a sweatshirt, pants, and gloves at the start, but does anybody have any better ideas? I guess kindling for a small warming fire would be frowned upon....

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Oct 25, 2013 8:14 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    Re: cool weather start

This will be a tough one, because by the time you're done a short-sleeve shirt should be in order.  But an old long-sleeve shirt of some kind would be good for the first couple miles.  The gloves can be tucked into your waistband, and you may or may not want some long pants that you don't care about.  I've never found the pants necessary, and my legs don't like tights once they get warm.  An alternative of course, is the trusty trash bag with holes for head and arms.

Len

• Currently Being Moderated
    2. Oct 25, 2013 8:23 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

An alternative of course, is the trusty trash bag with holes for head and arms.

I'm a personal fan of trash bag chic. 

That and some light cotton gloves.  I find that as my hands warm up, if I take the gloves off and simply fold'em and hold'em, my hands stay nice and warm on even the coldest days.  If the weather warms up enough to make my hands too warm when I'm holding the gloves, then I stash them in my pockets.

I'm thinking that if someone doesn't want to mess with carrying gloves once their hands warm up, a pair of old worn out socks can serve the purpose until warm, and then they can be discarded.

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Oct 25, 2013 8:25 AM (in response to Guest )

Hmmm, my "trash bag chic" post was recorded with a user id of "Guest", how annoying is that?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...