Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2142923 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 736 737 738 739 740 ... 760 Previous Next
  • shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,055. Oct 25, 2013 5:20 AM (in response to Bocefas)
    200+ Pound Club!

Welcome go both Bocefas and mdegueurce; your inspiring stories here are a wonderful addition. 

• CynceRN Pro 66 posts since
    Sep 6, 2013
    11,056. Oct 25, 2013 5:49 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hope you all enjoy your Detroit Turkey trot...I am pretty sure our weather in Ocala will be balmy compared to yours...but no parade and no Lions...but the next saturday will be Florida Florida State in the swamp...Go Noles

Aug 9, 2013
    11,057. Oct 25, 2013 6:11 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks CynceRN! 

By the end of August I was so done with warm humid weather; racing the Detroit Turkey Trot will be an absolute joy (for me at least) compared to the race I ran on Labor Day weekend where it was in the low 80s and quite humid.

Are you running a Turkey Trot as well?

Sep 6, 2013
    11,058. Oct 28, 2013 5:43 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Doing a Turkey Trot in Ocala with my daughter...Miss "will run for food".....I found some good trails about a half hour from my house so will be visiting those at least on the weekends. These short days are a booger..but I plan to do my longer weekend runs on trails whenever I can. I am really enjoying this "running thing" ...It's like a wonderful adventure...now if i can just stay off the news....:)

Aug 9, 2013
    11,059. Oct 28, 2013 7:00 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Yeah, a "booger" is a very apt term, and your days in Florida are rather longer than ours up here in New Hamster, I mean jeez, we're not even to November yet and we're only getting 10 hours and 28 minutes of sunlight up here, by the Winter Solstice we'll only be getting 8 hours and 5 minutes per day.

What short days mean to me is, "Headlight!"  I wear the following headlight when I'm out on the trail, and I suppliment it with the following vest when I'm running on the roads:

Not only will above gear allow you to see well enough to keep your footing and such, it will allow other folks to see you as well.

• Csbond77 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 28, 2013
    11,060. Oct 28, 2013 4:40 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello All... I'm new here. I'm 36 yrs old and have spent the last 7 months getting in better shape.  On April 1st I weighed in at 275.8 lbs, and today I weigh 222.6 lbs.  I've been eating healthfully and exercising. I will be turning 37 on Feb 1st and plan on running my first 5k that day. My husband, who has joined me on getting fit, is joining in me in the race.  I used to jog in my late teens/early twenties, but never raced.  I came to this website to find info on how to prep for races.  I found this forum, and I'm glad to see lots people w common goals. I'm looking for whatever helpful tips I can get! Thanks! And I look forward to getting to know everyone ;)

Aug 9, 2013
    11,061. Oct 28, 2013 6:06 PM (in response to Csbond77)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Csbond77, congratulations on setting your sights on becoming a runner. 

Regarding your query, before any of us can answer with any hope of accuracy I have one question; are you currently doing any running?  If so, how far, how fast, and how frequently?

• Csbond77 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 28, 2013
    11,062. Oct 28, 2013 7:40 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thank you! Currently I'm jogging 2 miles, at a slow 20 minutes a mile, and at 4 times a week.  This is on the treadmill.  I know I can run faster on hardtop. About 10-12 minute mile.  I would really like to get to at least an 8 minute mile for the race 3 months from this Friday.  Not sure if it's realistic, but I'll fight for it ;)

Aug 9, 2013
    11,063. Oct 28, 2013 10:49 PM (in response to Csbond77)
    200+ Pound Club!

Csbond77 wrote:

Thank you! Currently I'm jogging 2 miles, at a slow 20 minutes a mile, and at 4 times a week.  This is on the treadmill.  I know I can run faster on hardtop. About 10-12 minute mile.  I would really like to get to at least an 8 minute mile for the race 3 months from this Friday.  Not sure if it's realistic, but I'll fight for it ;)

Hmmm, I'm not sure how a person can run faster on a road than on a treadmill, that said, I've never worked out on a treadmill so I really have no basis to say that.  Either way, if your ten to twelve minute pace for two miles is realistic, then I would strongly recommend for you to slow down by an easy two minutes per mile and then gradually extend your runs until you're running at least six miles at a crack.

As a general rule, I would say that anybody who can run six miles at a ten minute pace, can manage an eight minute pace for a 5K. 

Sep 6, 2013
    11,064. Oct 29, 2013 6:26 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I truly must be the slowest runner ever. I think my miles are about 17 minutes. I just jog along at a comfortable speed. My runs during the week are 2-3 miles and I am trying longer trail runs on the weekend. This Saturday I plan a 5 mile trail and will walk the trickier parts ( roots rocks and Gremlins) I plan on continuing this tyoe of running until the Turkey trot then may start training for a 10K. Unlike many of you all ( sorry my Southern leaked out) I am 57 and haven't done any running since college, plus I am pudgy and have asthma. BUT the running makes me feel younger faster and fitter and the pounds are coming off slowly but consistantly. Does my training plan sound OK at this point? I am adding distance slowly and definitely not worrying about speed, and following Shipo's advice to look for trails as dirt is more forgiving than concrete to these old bones.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,065. Oct 29, 2013 10:35 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Sounds like you and I have a lot in common; I'm only a year or so younger than you (I'll hit 57 next spring), and just last spring I was, to use your term, pudgy (more like very pudgy in my case in that I was roughly 90-100 pounds overweight for my height).  Back then I was way-way slow and in no hurry to go any faster or further (the whole TFFFS, you know, Too Fast, too Far, too Frequently, and too Soon thing had bitten me too many times); funny thing though, breakthroughs seem to come when you least expect them.  In April I switched from working a moning job in Boston and an afternoon/evening job in Concord, NH to just the job in Concord, and in doing so, I ended up with quite a bit of free time, time I used to gradually extend my runs up into the hour plus time frame, and this in turn kind of forced me to keep my pace very slow.

Fast forward seven months and I've managed to lose over 60 pounds and as of about an hour ago I logged my 200th mile for October, which is the fourth consecutive month I've managed at least that many miles.  To put this into perspective, prior to this year my biggest month was 170 miles, and I did that back in my college years in the late 1970s.  To be perfectly honest, I'm stunned at how much progress I've made; me thinks there really may be something to this whole Long Slow Distance thing. 

Long story short, I predict that if you continue making the kind of progress you've been making, you're going to be giving your daughter a run for her money before you know it. 

Sep 6, 2013
    11,066. Oct 30, 2013 5:44 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I don't know? The kids pretty competitive, but I think she's also a little proud of her Mom. Beside her I look like i am toddling along, but last year I collapsed walking across my yard so progress has been made and much more is to come. I have only been in New England once long ago but Concord and Boston seem pretty far apart. Probably nice to be down to 1 job. I don't really keep track of my miles but I do write them down every day so could add them up. I also wear a HR monitor when running and record my average and maximum heart rate daily. In addition to losing lbs my resting HR is down 20 bpm and BP way down. There is a lot to be said for this running thing. Happy running. I will let you know how my trail run goes.

• DRob103 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 7, 2012
    11,067. Oct 30, 2013 6:55 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Glad to see this group, gaining traction. Didn't want to join for fear of no real conversations from runners over 200lbs. and but instead quick blurbs about links to the latest (fill in the blank) to lose weight and run better.

I've ran the Marine Corps in 2012, ignored an injury, had to completely stop, and now I'm training for the DC marathon in March of 2014. And it would be great to hear the challenges of like bodied individuals. When I ran MCM I was 251, today I'm 281. When I started my training for the MCM I was 312. So I think I'm okay.

Didn't scan all the pages but would love to hear about which running shoes you all find work for you and your sizes (and distances). Right now I use the Mizuno Men's Wave Creation 13. Their decent but I'm hoping for other options.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,068. Oct 30, 2013 7:05 AM (in response to DRob103)
    200+ Pound Club!

Runner's bodies and how they use them are as varied as snowflakes; shoes which work well for me may well cause severe injury to the next person and vica-versa.  The best advice I can give you regarding shoes is to completely ignore whatever recommendations you get from web forums like this and find a good running store where they can analyze your biomechanical structure and your stride, and fit you with a pair of shoes made for your specific needs.

The above said, I have a high arch, I need a "neutral" shoe, and I run lots of miles on both trails and roads; I'm currently running in Asics GEL Scouts for my trail shoes and Brooks Glycerin 11s for my road shoes.

Aug 9, 2013
    11,069. Oct 30, 2013 7:07 AM (in response to CynceRN)
    200+ Pound Club!

Like I said, you're making wonderful progress; the human body is an amazingly adaptive machine.  Keep us posted about your trail run and let your daughter know she'd better be looking in her rear-view mirror pretty soon. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...