Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5161 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2014 11:01 AM by BT.ROB 1 2 Previous Next
nancybird1018 Amateur 19 posts since
Oct 2, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 19, 2013 1:15 PM

Goal: Olympic Tri in 1 year

Hi!  Looks like this board isn't very busy.  Hoping to stir it up a little!

So next summer, 2014, I will turn 40 and my goal is to do an Olympic Tri, specifically the Tahoe Triathlon on August 24th.  I am starting from close to 0. 

Here's my what my baseline is:

Monday - weightroom

Tuesday -

Wednesday-

Thursday - Swim (in a 25 yard pool, started with 25 laps)

Friday -

Saturday - Bike (25 miles)

Sunday - Run (starting at 2-4 miles)

I don't have a "partner" yet.  Trying to recruit people, which will make it more fun.

I'm a SAHM of two boys, ages 3 & 4.

I want to add yoga in to my schedule and start doing brick workouts.

ANY ADVICE?  I know the biggest mistake is to do too much too quickly = injuries or burnout.  I'm trying not to do that. 

Any nutrition advice?  My biggest vice is alcohol.  Is it true that just a few drinks in one night will set you back 2 weeks of training?  Please tell me that is hogwash.

This goal is totally doable in 11 1/2 months, right?

Also, I'm starting out 15-20 pounds overweight.  Hopefully that changes quickly!

Looking forward to hearing from some of you!  Thank you so much.

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Sep 19, 2013 3:41 PM (in response to nancybird1018)

An Olympic tri in a year is totally doable, even from zero fitness. I would suggest looking into training plans; there are tons on the 'Net, in books, and on Active here as well. If you can, get a bit of coaching on each segment or find a triathlon specific coach. Swimming, especially, is very much a technique sport and coaching can really help. Run coaching is also beneficial. If you have a decent bike, have a bike shop properly fit you if you haven't already. Yoga is an excellent complement to your training. If you do it at home (DVD), your boys can join in. Make it a family affair. If they see parent(s) doing it, they will want to as well. And there are kids tris around.

I would try for 5-6 days a week doing something. Runs can be 30 minutes, bike for an hour, swim 20 minutes, throw in some weight training at a gym (if you can). Yoga. Start short, work on form and technique, build into it. Do intervals (swim, bike and run). Do bricks.

Alcohol doesn't set back training but it is empty calories. Limiting your intake while training will really help burn off the calories, so there is that. There is lots of nutrition advice in columns here on Active as well. Colorful food, more veggies and fruits, lean protein, all generally good lifestyle choices.

Lake Tahoe is at 6200' so if you don't live there, be aware of the affect that altitude has. Same with the cold temperature of the lake.

Good luck and have fun.

BT

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Oct 1, 2013 9:10 AM (in response to nancybird1018)

I agree with BTROB - you have plenty of time to get ready for an Olympic distance race.  Also look for a Tri Club in your area so you can find training and race buddies to help keep you on track.  I'd also recommend the book The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel.  I think it will answer a lot of your questions about nutrition, training, overtraining, etc.

• Chris1439 Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 5, 2013
    6. Oct 16, 2013 9:17 AM (in response to nancybird1018)

Hi Nancy

Sounds like you are sticking to the training and having fun while you are at it.  You asked about nutrition in your first blog post.  Theres so much out there on the subject its overwhelming.  But there's a few companies out there trying to simplify the process for all endurance athletes.  Heres a review from a ironman triathlete (www.road2ironman) who just trialed this complete set of endurance vitamins and nutrition during his recent training.  Pretty interesting stuff! Check it out!

http://bit.ly/H0uX2j

Nov 20, 2007
    7. Oct 16, 2013 12:28 PM (in response to nancybird1018)

Congrats on getting yourself registered for Lake Tahoe!  You have lots of time to get ready.  I would take some time now to put together a training plan.  You can buy one online or surf around and find a free one that might work for you.  The key is finding one that you know you'll be able to commit to.

Good luck!  I look forward to following your journey if you continue to post here.

• bunkie50 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 9, 2013
    8. Oct 26, 2013 9:55 PM (in response to nancybird1018)

Hi Nancy,

Congratulations on registering for the Tahoe Triathlon next year.  I also like all that others had to say in response to your post - all very good!!! 

Here are a couple of more suggestions which I hope can be of help to you. 

1.  You may want to consider participating in one or two Sprint distance triathlons before the Olympic triathlon in August next year.  The Sprint distances may be helpful in providing you "a point in time fitness level" before moving up to the Olympic distance.  In addition, I believe you will grow mentally and physically in being in these triathlon events.        

2.  Unless you have already done this I would strongly consider getting several lessons in open water swimming. 

Looking forward to hearing about the progress you make on this. 

Nov 20, 2007
    10. Nov 6, 2013 8:04 AM (in response to nancybird1018)

Its tough to stay motivated during a snowy winter.  If you get off track with your training, post something and we'll help you find some motivation!  Good luck!

• neoduke Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 23, 2009
    11. Jan 29, 2014 6:23 AM (in response to nancybird1018)

Hey nancybird1018!!

How about an update?  You sticking with the plan, or did the holidays derail your efforts?

Cheers

• Houston's Scuba Steve Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2008
    13. Aug 6, 2014 9:32 AM (in response to nancybird1018)
    Re: Goal: Olympic Tri in 1 year

Nancy,

I just now came across your thread.  First of all I truly appreciate your updates and will definitely look back to see how your race went and your experiences.  I completed my first Olympic Distance back in April.  While I did not have the results I had hoped for (specifically the run due to too swallowing much saltwater on my swim in Galveston), I would have to say that the feeling of accomplishment was astounding and made it all worth while.  Just like you, I had ups and downs in my training and felt like I may be in over my head.  I just kept telling myself that as long as I don't drown on the swim, then I can slow down on the bike or swim if I had to.  So my suggestion to you, don't drown on the swim (I'm sure that won't happen thanks to all the volunteers who can let you rest if need be) and then knock out the bike and swim at the pace you are able while enjoying the overall event and scenery as I'm sure its beautiful at Lake Tahoe.

All that being said, I signed up for my first half ironman which is in ten and a half weeks; I am extremely nervous but know it will be worth it at the end for that experience and accomplishment.

Steve

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points