Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

807 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 28, 2013 5:52 PM by justamaniac
alexcsm Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 14, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 28, 2013 11:26 AM

Denver Rock N Roll Marathon: My Worst Run Ever

Hello cool running community!

It's been a week since my first ever marathon (Denver Rock N Roll) and I've had some time to reflect on my experience. In short, I made a TON of mistakes, including starting off too fast and not hydrating often enough. It was a huge learning experience, and as crazy as it sounds, I'm actually considering doing another!

I wrote a more detailed recap of my race on my blog if anyone is interested. If you've faced a similar situation, I'd like to hear your tips - thanks!

http://alexanderle.com/blog/first-marathon.html

• justamaniac Legend 200 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 28, 2013 5:52 PM (in response to alexcsm)
    Denver Rock N Roll Marathon: My Worst Run Ever

If you look around you will find that there are a bunch of us that have bad days, although despite your challenges you came very close to meeting your stretch goal of a sub-4 marathon, so actually congratulations are in order! Yeah, you may have cranked out too fast, but I'll bet that you won't do that again! I'm also empathetic because I ran the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend and that didn't go as planned for me either. I started cramping at mile 14 and dealt with it for the rest of the course. I was in so much pain that I had to take myself to the Med tent after finishing just so that I could make it home.

My thought is that it is experiences like this that make running a marathon special - the ability to deal with unpredictable situations, to persevere under difficult circumstances, and to put mind over matter.  No matter how well I prepare and plan for my next marathon I'm pretty sure that something different will happen to challenge me. Best of luck on your next one! - stay strong!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...