Skip navigation

2770 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2013 8:22 AM by Tyson2123
Backstopace122 Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 25, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 29, 2013 1:41 PM

How do I create my own basketball workout schedule

How do I Come up with a Basketball workout Schedule? There are so many things to work on,and I'm exicted about getting better..

But I don't know where to start..I atten a Private School where the basketball program won't be active til next year.I've played in rec leagues,but they really didn't focus in on fundamentals which kinda frustrates me.You have to walk before you crawl..

Any ideas on how to come up with one?

• BlanBaller15 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 27, 2013

I would say to just look around online for drills for the things you need/want to work on. Plenty of stuff on youtube and other websites. Also if your family can afford you could go to camps. Most camps emphasize fundamentals.

• TruePoint11 Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013

This is what I do. Monday, tuesday, thursday. I work on things I struggle at the most. This week I did vertical Monday, setting screens second, and threes Thusday. Wednsday I work out, and Friday I do a light training followed by a game. Saturday I play games all day, organized or pickup, and Sunday I rest. So set it up according to your needs.

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010

When I workout with the players I train, I always start with non-dribbling exercises. Your hands are your greatest asset, so do a lot of drills that improve hand speed and hand strength. These drills should last approx. 10 minutes.

From there I would go into stationary ball handling for about 15-20 minurtes.

After stationary ball handling, start making moves to the basket starting at half court. Attack the the free throw line for example, make a dribble move ( between the legs for example ), then attack the basket with a layup. Every drill must be done 5-10 times, or until you make a certain number of layups, not messing up the dribble. Do every exercise starting with either hand, that way you finish going to the right and then going to the left. Do various dribble moves or combinations for about 20 minutes.

Then start under the basket with the ball and throw the ball out away from the basket ( to any position ), pivot to face, then make a move to the basket using the drag step, shot fake, jab step, etc.

Work all areas of the floor, throwing the ball out to the 3-point line, jump stop, and vary your pivot to face. Say you have to make 30 layups, half with the good hand and half with the off-hand.

From there go into shooting. Start in close for about 10-15 minutes, inside 5 feet, making shots without hitting the rim. Get your rebound yourself quickly and get back to your spot. Make ten no-rimmers from 10 spots.

After that, move out a little further ( 7 - 10 feet ) and shoot jumpers, rebounding your misses, and hustling back to your spot until you make 10 shots, from 10 different spots.

After that, move further and repeat.

Lastly, throw the ball out, run and catch on a jump stop, pivot various ways to face, then take the shot off the dribble, always ending in a 1-2 step pull up jumper.

This is just an idea for you. But work around the basket a lot, for footwork and balance and shooting touch.

There's so much you could do, but it's a start.

Good luck!

Coach Beez

www.basketballwithcoachbeez.com

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• Tyson2123 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jul 30, 2013

Hey backs,

I won't confuse you with anything.  Just message me at BasketballTrainingClub.com, and my team will create a workout schedule for you that is easy and effective.

Tyson

Founder, BasketballTrainingClub.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points