Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

509 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2013 6:55 AM by shipo RSS
Hot_Brunette Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 13, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 30, 2013 5:25 AM

I love to run, but hate getting out the door

Does this happen to anyone else? I've run 2 half marathons, a 10k, and a ton of 5k's. I've signed up for my first marathon May of 2014. I LOVE to run. I love the feeling I get while doing it. I love the confidence it gives me when I cross that finish line...

I hate getting out there. I hate the cold. I hate getting hot. I joke that I have to take myself outside, kicking and screaming...but once I'm going, I'm good. The feeling, the motion, the music....it's fantastic.

Anyone else get this way? How do you work through it? I try and push myself but I'm lazy at times and my will is weak. I'm not training right now so I don't have that "umph" to get out there.

Hlelp.

• LindaElizabeth Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 28, 2009
    1. Oct 30, 2013 6:05 AM (in response to Hot_Brunette)

I used to be like that too (actually...when it's winter in New England I am still like that sometimes...).  If you're running for leisure then there is not much motivation to get out there and run.  If your're training, you have to get into a different mindset.  Training becomes work and something you do with no questions asked.  Just like you get up and go to work every day, your runs have to become part of something that is required.  Although this may not seem like fun at first, you have to come to an understanding that training for a marathon requires effort and determination - in a sense, you can no longer think of it as "let me go out and go for a job bc i love the way it feels" - you can still love the way it feels, but now you need to treat these runs as conditioning excercises that are shaping you to be an endurance athlete.  Additionally, plenty of marathoners/ultra marathoners train exclusively on indoor treadmills.  You can avoid injury or asthma/allergy attacks.  However, depending on the terrain of the marathon, you need to build in hill work at some point.  So on those really cold days it is okay to swap the road for the treadmill as long as you are pushing yourself just as hard.  There are plenty of articles out there that can teach how to train using heart rate or RPE (rate of perceived exhaustion) - all of which you can adapt to road or treadmill.

Most importantly is the mindset though.  It is the most difficult thing to change, but sometimes you need to ignore it and just get it done.  Think of yourself as a machine, not a body.  What you put in to a workout is what you will get out in results.

• DWoodward Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 19, 2008
    2. Oct 30, 2013 6:43 AM (in response to Hot_Brunette)

I think all runners go through this at different levels. For me, a steady schedule is key. For example, I always do my long runs first thing in the morning on weekends. To get myself in the mindset, I think about the run the night before and organize all my stuff (hat, gloves, watch, etc) so I don't have to fumble around in the dark the next morning. I think about that post-run coffee I'll have while reading the paper and how psyched I'll be for the rest of the day knowing I got my run in!

I keep a separate laundry bag for all my sweaty workout clothes. Sounds gross, but this works as a great gauge and motivater to see how much I'm working each week.

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Oct 30, 2013 6:55 AM (in response to Hot_Brunette)

I've had the same exact issue off and on for, geez, 40 some years now so I don't think there is any one magic bullet to get you automatically motivated.  Currently I have a pretty good routine going as the trail I run on the most is between my office and home; I change into my running togs on my way out the door, stop at the trail, do my run, wrap myself in a towel (to prevent getting the seat and seat belt wet), and drive home.  I find it's a heck of a lot easier to motivate myself to get out of the car and onto the trail than it is to get my butt off the sofa and out to the trail. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...