Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1352 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2013 4:55 PM by markcdavid RSS
Clifford-Napoleone Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 14, 2013 4:25 PM

Got RA?

I'm Week 5, running with moderate to severe RA.  Wondering if anyone else out there has RA and has some advice? 

• dd64 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    1. Oct 30, 2013 11:39 AM (in response to Clifford-Napoleone)
    Got RA?

I have RA.  Was diagnosed at the end of August.  I tried for several years to start C25K but the extreme fatigue and pain would always rear its ugly head....didn't know at that time I had RA.  I knew I must have a problem but just never went to the doctor.  Got to the point I couldn't ignore it any more.

I am taking meds...prednisone and plaquenil.  Without the meds theres no way I could do this program.  I'm hoping I have enough in my system that I won't have any problems.  Are you on meds?

It's wonderful you are on wk5....I suppose you are further along by now.

"Failure Is Only The Opportunity To Begin Again More Intelligently" Henry Ford

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" Amelia Earhart

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Oct 30, 2013 12:06 PM (in response to dd64)
    Got RA?

What is "RA"?  Runners Anemia?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Oct 30, 2013 12:53 PM (in response to Clifford-Napoleone)
    Got RA?

(Rheumatoid Arthritis, shipo)

I presume you have consulted with your doctor. Though some will tell you "Oh, don't do that."  I got quite a few hits when I googled "running with rheumatoid arthritis".  Some looked like they offered advice, including the following.

http://rheumatoidarthritisrunner.wordpress.com/

http://www.christineestrada.com/2013/04/08/running-and-arthritis/

I have seen a few other post here on Active but not a lot.  I hope you have success with running and staying very active in general.

Len

• dd64 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    4. Oct 30, 2013 1:17 PM (in response to shipo)
    Got RA?

RA = Rheumatoid Arthritis  - but it's more than "arthritis". RA is an autoimmune disease.  Arthritis is just one symptom of Rheumatoid Disease.  It's debilitating, deforming and very painful. Includes EXTREME fatiuge, joint/bone/muscle pain, brain fog, losing words, lack of concentration.....and sooo many other symptoms.

I never understood why people complained of RA - well now I know....RA ain't for sissys! haha

"Failure Is Only The Opportunity To Begin Again More Intelligently" Henry Ford

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" Amelia Earhart

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    5. Oct 30, 2013 1:29 PM (in response to Clifford-Napoleone)
    Got RA?

Len and DD64, thanks for the clarification; guess I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried with my Anemia guess. 

I have "managable" (from a pain perspective) Osteoarthritis in both ankles (both of which have been broken in my distant past) as well as in one hip.  I cannot imagine (or don't want to imagine) what it would be like to be dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis; all y'all with RA have my best wishes being sent in your direction, hopefully it will help some.

• Mumsmith Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 31, 2013
    6. Oct 31, 2013 5:13 PM (in response to dd64)
    Got RA?

I was diagnosed with RA 12 years ago. It has been a very bumpy road. I had a dream in my 30's to run a marathon. By 40 I gave up, I am now 52 an I have decided to believe in myself again. 2 days ago I decided to walk/run a marathon. I have booked an appointment with my doctor to see if I can have my knee's looked at and have a brace or anything done to endure this feat. I have been walking 2-3 miles a day now for 2 months and feel I could go much further but my knee hurts if I push it past this.

Diane

• markcdavid Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 17, 2012
    7. Nov 6, 2013 4:55 PM (in response to Clifford-Napoleone)
    Re: Got RA?

Hi Clifford-Napoleone

I don't have RA but have sjogrens and lupus both autoimmune and probably others, and there is a wide overlap in symptoms particularly the 'fun' pain in every part of body

and extreme fatigue or the 'living dead' feeling as I call it.

Without giving you my life story :-) ...I actually started severe problems around age 10, but in early stage autoimmune you get long period of remission, I was OK until

around 20 when I was on college running team.   I was running around 4:40 for mile, 16min 5K, 33min 10K ....then suddenly, I couldn't run or exercise any more. I had

to rest completely for  1 year, my heart rate would jump to 170+ if I even tried to jog! .....I didn't start running again until age 40,to try to help anther worse flare age 38.

Advice, well, don't give in and well done for trying to fight through the pain and the mental battle's that only those with this can understand, you have to be a warrior just

to get out and run many days! ...but, you will feel better for it.

Like any warrior, you won't win every battle, some days you need to know when to call it quits and rest ...its a careful balancing act of trial and error.

fwiw I've managed to get back to running 15-20miles a week, that's the most I can handle, and because of my background in competive running I still have some speed so most people would never know what I go through to run, infact most will probably think your just whining about RA ...so get ready for how annoying that is! 

I would look very carefully at your diet, prednisone helps but long term there are issue's, I got off it after 2 years, and found removing alot of foods helped alot - you can try and elimination diet (google it) ...I tell everyone this but very few people try it, those that do nearly always find a bunch of problem foods - most common - gluten, dairy, soy, corn ..and most processed foods.

Nightshade family is also implicated in RA ...potato, tomoto, peppers ...yep, sucks if they are a problem ... mainly exists on green drinks, rice and fish....very restictive but I prefer to feel better.

fyi - Running seems to particularly help me, I believe because it raises cortisol which is a natural biological process to taking prednisone i.e. to supress over active immune system. I also lift weight and bike, swim but they have never helped the same way.

Careful though, I found anything over 50minutes running made me feel worse...flaring up aches, exhaustion etc

Best of luck

Mark.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...