Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

696 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2013 9:47 AM by lenzlaw
NicoleT28 Rookie 3 posts since
Nov 4, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 5, 2013 7:02 AM

Philadelphia Marathon 2013

Hi everyone,

I know this is a long shot but I figured it can't hurt to try.

I wasn't certain if I was going to participate in the Philly Marathon this year because I had an MCL injury that took forever to heal but I am now 100% and running every other day now. I did a long run a few weeks ago, then an even longer one this past Sunday and I feel great!

I went to register today and it looks as if it closed on the 1st of November and only those participating for charities or seeded runners can enter. I am neither of those.

I wanted to see if anyone on here has registered and now realizes they can't make it and would be willing to sell me their registration? It's better than just not going and losing money, right? I also emailed the marathon but I'm sure they'll say to just show up the day of and see if there's any left over that haven't been claimed.

Worst case scenario I will do that but I live an hour away from Philly so if there's another way that's concrete I'll do it!

Thanks!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Nov 5, 2013 7:18 AM (in response to NicoleT28)

Does it have to be Philly? RunBucks is still open, only a few miles away along the Delaware River in Bucks County, same day.

http://www.runbucks.com/index.html

Also Harrisburg, but that's a week earlier and online registration closes today.

http://www.harrisburgmarathon.com/index.shtml

(And I really doubt that "they'll say to just show up the day of and see if there's any left over". They'll tell you what you already know - there are charity bibs. The only other hope would be if they decided, last minute, to expand the field and make more bibs available.)

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    3. Nov 5, 2013 8:29 AM (in response to NicoleT28)

I'm really surprised they would do that, for a variety of reasons*.  But good luck if you decide to take your chances.

(* No-transfer policy. Bib is already "owned" by someone else.)

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    5. Nov 5, 2013 9:47 AM (in response to NicoleT28)

It's only a couple years old and started in response to the crowded, sold-out Philly races.  They run a 10-miler the same day as Broad Street, a half the same day as Rock'n'Roll Philly in September, and the marathon, along with some other, shorter races throughout the year.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points