Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1020 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2013 3:11 PM by markcdavid
Kylisdad Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2013 7:30 AM

New runner issues

Hey everybody,

I am a new runner. I have been walking/running since May. I have lost 90 pounds, and am working my way up to a 10K. I just turned 48, I was running 6 days a week, My Dr suggested I switch to every other day. My problem is, I slowed down, I run at about a 5.2 mph pace. There are days I can run 5 to 5.25 miles without even breathing hard. There are other times that last for days, when it is all I can do to make a 5K, 3.1 miles. I have been watching my diet, the supplements I take, my allergys, everything. I just can't seem to figure out the cause.

Is it normal for beginners to experiance this? I appreciate any help!

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Nov 4, 2013 8:02 AM (in response to Kylisdad)
    Re: New runner issues

How many miles have you put in since May?

Regarding your pace:

• The standard language used here in the U.S. is "Minutes per Mile", so when you say you run at a 5.2 mph pace, the rest of us need to convert 5.2 mph into 11:51 minutes per mile.
    • Regarding running every other day, I would probably have suggested that when you started, but if you have indeed been running six days a week since May without getting injured, then I don't see the benefit of skipping days, UNLESS, you're trying to increase your speed or your mileage (or both).
    • It is normal for ALL runners (newbies and experienced folks alike) to see ebbs and flows in their times.  My advice would be to lose the watch (or phone, or whatever it is you use to time yourself), and just run.  Some days will be faster, some will be slower, you cannot expect every run to be faster than the previous.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Nov 4, 2013 8:59 AM (in response to Kylisdad)

If you've been running 6 days a week, same pace, same distance, you may have gotten into an "overtraining" syndrome. Basically the body gets bored. Try to vary your workouts, by pace and/or by distance. If you hit one of those bad spells, take an extra day or two off.  One advantage of running outside, and particularly on trails as shipo does, is more variety in you runs.  It's hard to run a steady pace on trails, and even on the roads many times.

Len

• markcdavid Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 17, 2012
    4. Nov 6, 2013 3:11 PM (in response to Kylisdad)

hi Kylisdad

If as you describe, you are running at a low enough intensity to run 5 miles, and can do this fine most days, you should not have breathing problems

over 1-3 miles, unless somehow you are running much faster than you believe?

One possible cause of this kind of beathing difficultly and i'd say the most likely is 'excercise induced asthma' ...google it, maybe ask your doctor about it to rule it out.

If it is, it can be triggered by several things such as air bourne allergens, or even just activity itself. I would try going slower for the

first mile and gradually increase speed, and on days where 'you can't breath', slow down more and maybe run a bit further instead, any kind of running is good running.

A less likely but possible cause is too few carbohydrate, low carb is 'all the rage' but for running it can cause problems. If

you are running alot, and don't replace the muscles store of glycogen  (through carbs), study's show that it will effect your

aerobic capacity ( vo2max), in simple terms, for the same effort your  breathing will be harder. I have tested that myself and its true for me, and

advanced runners use this effect in a principle called 'train low, race high', a way to make 'easy' workouts harder fr aerobic system basically.

Best of luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...