Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

788 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2013 9:55 PM by Haselsmasher RSS
goatman69 Rookie 6 posts since
Nov 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2013 3:45 AM

Huge Blister on Arch

Been running for a while, and lately I've been get a blister/raw spot on my left arch.  I ran a little over 4 miles yesterday and ended up with a blood blister about the size of a half dollar.  I have tried different types of socks and bodyglide, and I have used the same type of running shoes that didn't cause the blister before.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

• shipo Legend 441 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Nov 9, 2013 6:51 AM (in response to goatman69)
    Huge Blister on Arch

What do you mean by "same type of running shoes"?  Same brand?  Same brand and model?

I ask because if you're getting blood blisters after only 4 miles, it sounds like you have "Neutral" shoes for someone with high arches but you have low arches.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,322 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Nov 9, 2013 7:02 AM (in response to goatman69)
    Huge Blister on Arch

It would seem something is irritating. Is this a new pair of the same shoes? Remove the insole and check for any rough areas or cuts where the problem is. It doesn't take much. Carefully clean up anything you find - you don't want to make it worse. You may need to use a nail file or the like to smooth it. I've had to trim the insole on a pair of shoes because it stuck up too far in the arch. Next check inside the shoe for any roughness caused by small bits of stitching or seams.  If there is a problem it can usually be corrected by putting moleskin over the area. You can get moleskin at the drug store. Cut a piece large enough to cover the area and apply it carefully - no wrinkles!

Len

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. Nov 10, 2013 9:55 PM (in response to goatman69)
    Re: Huge Blister on Arch

Forgetting about your foot, arch and shoe - is there anything else that is off or different?  Do you have a different routine?  (Sitting more?  Driving more?  Something along those lines?).  Or is there *any* other niggle or pain or weirdness going on anywhere else in your body?  Hip?  Knee?  Something else?

It's possible something changed that is far away from your foot which is causing you to pronate - and consequently rub - more than you were before.  I was having all sorts of heel pain and it turns out the reason is that my hip was impinged and needed to be loosened up so it could rotate more freely.  Once my PT did some work on my hip the heel pain went away.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points