Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2144326 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 ... 740 741 742 743 744 ... 760 Previous Next
  • shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    11,115. Nov 20, 2013 6:33 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

I thought I would start sharing quotes that inspire me:

No matter how slow you go, you are you are still lapping everybody on the couch.

Wurd!

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    11,116. Nov 20, 2013 3:16 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Thanks shipo!  Horses?  I rode one once.  I was a child and he was old. He kept falling asleep on the trail.LOL

Thankfully my mother is in good hands.  The people here are amazing.  You think that they are giving you the royal treatment because they have mistaken you for someone important.  But the truth is...they treat everyone here like they are important.  I can't say enough good things about this place.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Aug 9, 2013
    11,117. Nov 20, 2013 8:36 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

"He kept falling asleep on the trail."  Too funny. 

I have eleven charges, five of them are pretty old (like 30 and older), and all five are pretty spry and lively.  About a month ago I took one of the older horses (this guy was only 28) out on a trail run; I had him on a lead and ran about as hard and fast as I could for sixteen miles.  When I was about to fall over, I slipped on his bridle and bare-backed it all of the way back to the farm.  I made sure to allow him to wander through the apple orchard just before we got back to the barn; he really enjoyed that. 

I'm so glad your mother is in good hands.

• momster43 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11,118. Nov 21, 2013 6:28 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I just found this discussion and I am so excited.  I keep trying the C25K, but I haven't been the most motivated person around.  I am signed up for a 5K this spring and now have a goal.  I am going to restart.  I will be back here from time to time for motivation.

Kathy

Aug 9, 2013
    11,119. Nov 21, 2013 6:46 AM (in response to momster43)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Kathy,

Congratulations on your new motivation to do the C25K program and to run a 5K next spring.  You'll find helpful/motivating posts here from lots of folks who've taken that journey and many of us are still active in this thread and would be happy to offer any advice you might need. 

Regards,

Dale

• Bocefas Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 13, 2012
    11,120. Nov 22, 2013 12:06 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I was out this morning for another 10 mile training run for the 1/2 marathon I'm running on 12/8...this is the last week of heavy mileage before I taper off...I ran the same route yesterday, so all told this week so far I have run 35 miles, with 5 more scheduled for tomorrow.  Anyway...it is a hilly route, and one hill in particular according to mapmyrun is a Category 5, .6 mile climb.  I dont know what that means, but it is a dandy.  I decided to kick gravity in the guts this morning and charge up that hill like no one's business.  I'm sure lots of you have done this before, and I have to ask: is there a better feeling in the world than the feeling you have when you get to the top of that long climb and you almost feel weightless for that instant, knowing you not only cheated gravity out of holding you back, but now gravity has to help you as you run down the other side...awesome stuff...

Aug 9, 2013
    11,121. Nov 22, 2013 12:31 PM (in response to Bocefas)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

When I'm on a bike I agree with you 100%, however, I'm a (not quite so) fat (anymore) old man, and while I can usually make some pretty good time going up, my knees and such complain when going down the other side.  I know it is kind of a strange concept, but I'm typically slower going down the steep slopes than I am going up.  Annoying.

With the above said, one of my teammates on the Reach the Beach - NH relay in September was training for a 50-mile ultra marathon, and he shared that ultra runners almost always walk up (and often down as well) the hills; the steeper they are, the more likely they are to walk.  Funny thing; shortly after the start of my fourth of six legs (which featured nearly one thousand feet of climbing) a guy passed me on one particularly nasty long hill, I caught him up on the flat on the other side, and when we got to the next incline, he initially started pulling away from me.  A hundred yards up or so, he pulled over and started walking, and even though I was still running it took me a while to pass him back.  For the next four or five miles I could hear his footsteps behind me but I never let him get close enough to pass me again; I just couldn't bring myself to let someone beat me who walked up hills, even if walking was the correct thing to do.  Ego, yeesh!

Sep 2, 2009
    11,122. Nov 25, 2013 10:43 PM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

I have learned to love hills.  I do run downhill... Free energy is what our running coach calls it.  But the first time I went down too fast and hurt my knee so I now respect the downhill.  Monster welcome!  Signing up for a 5K is very smart.  It is the only thing that keeps me motivated.   My next run is 12/22.  I want to do the half but I am not sure if my calf will heal by then.

Currently I am doing pool running due to my injury.  You can pool train for up to 8 weeks without losing any of your training that you have already done.  So until it heals I have to drive 30 minutes away to an indoor pool.  Oh well,  we do what we gotta do.

How's everyone doing?  Have you had to make any changes to your running routine because of the weather?

Restarted 04/01/2013

• Bstmom1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2013
    11,123. Nov 26, 2013 4:02 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Good Morning,

I am new to this group. I am 300+ but I started walking in the 5k events in my area about 10 weeks ago. I have a desk job so there hasn't been much activity for me except my 6 year old. The walking has enabled me to keep up with him but I enjoy the me time so much that I signed up for a marathon make over that starts January 18th. I thought about all the people that cannot walk and here I was spending so much time sitting at the computer working and not taking advantage of being able to move while I still can. I look forward to reading everyone's post to learn about their success.

• LaurenS160 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2010
    11,124. Nov 26, 2013 5:54 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board but not to running.  Since 2009 I have run 6 half marathons and just a few weeks ago finished my first full marathon--NYC--all while being over 200lbs.   I tend to train a lot through the summer and get very lazy in the winter, but this year I really want to capatalize on my maraton training and not gain back the weight I lost over the summer.  I'm having trouble finding good quality winter running gear in my size.  Does anyone have any recommendations of a good place to shopp for women's plus sized running clothes?

Aug 9, 2013
    11,125. Nov 26, 2013 6:29 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

SeeFluffyRun wrote:

I have learned to love hills.  I do run downhill... Free energy is what our running coach calls it.  But the first time I went down too fast and hurt my knee so I now respect the downhill.  Monster welcome!  Signing up for a 5K is very smart.  It is the only thing that keeps me motivated.   My next run is 12/22.  I want to do the half but I am not sure if my calf will heal by then.

Currently I am doing pool running due to my injury.  You can pool train for up to 8 weeks without losing any of your training that you have already done.  So until it heals I have to drive 30 minutes away to an indoor pool.  Oh well,  we do what we gotta do.

How's everyone doing?  Have you had to make any changes to your running routine because of the weather?

Hey Rozette,

Pretty much the only time I take advantage of the "free energy" in down hills is when I'm good and warmed up and in a race.  Even then, it's pretty hilly around here and there were a couple of hills I encountered up in the mountains during my Reach the Beach experience in September which were so very steep they begged caution; too fast and the runner can quickly get out of control and crash, attempt to "down shift" too much and suffer a severe muscle or joint injury.

I must have missed your calf injury; assuming it is not too severe it should be well healed by 22-Dec.  I've only done pool work once, and that was right after my cast came off in 2003 following six friggin' months of being non-weight-bearing (NWB) after having my right leg screwed back together.  Back then my sturgeon [sic] told me I'd never run again; the pool work was so that I could learn to walk again with a minimal limp.  That therapy was cut off after two or three sessions because, "you've already attained the range of motion and the strength for someone your age, and the insurance company won't pay for any more."  What really cooked my grits were the non-atheletic teen and twenty-something kids who had suffered less traumatic leg injuries than mine and yet were still scheduled for months of therapy because they were a long way from achieving the range of motion and strength for folks their age.

As for the weather, it's pretty cold and windy up here these days, and given how far north and east I am in the Eastern Time Zone, it is getting dark before 4:30 in the afternoon.  What that means is that most of my weekday trail runs are cold and very dark, so, not only have I had to bundle up a bit, I also have to wear a headlight. 

Best regards,

Dale

Sep 2, 2009
    11,126. Nov 26, 2013 6:36 AM (in response to LaurenS160)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi Lauren, Congratulations on your NYC marathon. A few from our running group ran in it also.  Nike makes plus size running gear.  I was at Academy and they now carry Nike plus size gear.  C9 by Champion also makes some quality running gear.  They have different levels of quality.  Premium are the only ones I use. You can find it at Target.

I don't know where you live and how cold it gets but I wear Nathan breakaway sleeves.  DriFit also makes warm running socks that really make a difference.

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 2, 2009
    11,127. Nov 26, 2013 6:39 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Inspiration time:

1395325_10202559925145602_1081909121_n.jpg

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 2, 2009
    11,128. Nov 26, 2013 6:46 AM (in response to shipo)
    200+ Pound Club!

Dale,

Have you seen CK Lewis bit on getting old and the doctor's take on what to do when you start hurting? It's hilarious. True but hilarious. 

Unfortunately, physical therapy can't see me until 11/09/2013. My running coach use to be a PT at UTMB so she told me to pool run.  It is so boring.  I thought I hated the dreadmill but pool running...so much worse. I don't have headphones or case made for swimming so it's just me and the clock.

Restarted 04/01/2013

• SpartanJD01 Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    11,129. Nov 26, 2013 7:31 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)
    200+ Pound Club!

Appreciate some advice on a mild ankle sprain.  It really is mild.  I'm not even sure how/when it happened.  Was in DC this weekend and ran 6.5-7miles on Saturday around the monuments, to the Capital, past White House and back to hotel.  Then walked 10:00 - 2:30 sight seeing.  On the flight Sunday morning, I was on the window and had to turn my right foot inward.  Started to notice the pain then.  By Sunday night could notice some swelling and tenderness when walking. 

I have 10K scheduled for Thursday.  I'm thinking of putting it in an ankle brace and running a mile on it Wednesday night to see how it feels.  I am trying to keep off it as much as possible now.  If i didnt have a race, I would probably avoid running for two weeks.

Thoughts? Advice?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...