Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

737 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2013 9:13 AM by markcdavid
TriforceOfWisdom Rookie 3 posts since
Nov 22, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 24, 2013 7:19 PM

Running two miles in 11 minutes suggestion

Would a schedule such as

week 1: 400 Meters @ 5 minute mile pace each day

week 2: 500 Meters @ 5 minute mile pace each day

ETC adding 100 meters each week until 3200 meters (or so)

Be a good schedule to work with?

Above is not the full schedule, but with simple math and a small imagination you should be able to picture the rest..

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Nov 25, 2013 3:11 AM (in response to TriforceOfWisdom)
    Running two miles in 11 minutes suggestion

Ok, I am not a coach or anything, just someone who enjoys running a lot, os take my oppinion with a grain of salt (or two).

First of all, I think you should provide a little more context on your general fitness level and running capabilities.

The goal you mention looks pretty ambitious to me, so I assume you are used to running and are looking for a speciffic training plan for a particular event.

In this context, I would say:

- Yours is a speed goal, so it does make sense to include quite a lot of speedwork.

- The schedule you present is made up ONLY of speedwork series, so I think you probably need to include other types of training too.

- You do not include any rest days (although I assume you consider them). In any case, be sure to include 1-2 total rest days every day.

- Finally, if I understand correctly, you plan to run very short intervals (and nothing else) every day. Probably you will get better results if you have longer sessions, including easy jogs and speed series at different paces.

I will leave it to people with more experience in the design of training plans to make an alternative proposal, but these are the things I would consider for my own training plan.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Nov 25, 2013 6:56 AM (in response to TriforceOfWisdom)
    Re: Running two miles in 11 minutes suggestion

Unless you have a significant base of longer slower miles, and I mean like six-hundred to one-thousand miles, then your plan will probably not work out well at all.  Why?  Because I predict you'll get injured and have to stop running before you ever get near the 2-miles in 11 minutes goal.

• markcdavid Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 17, 2012
    3. Nov 25, 2013 9:13 AM (in response to shipo)
    Re: Running two miles in 11 minutes suggestion

Amounts to the same question you already asked, and I gave detailed answer here:

http://community.active.com/message/1370616#1370616

As explained by others and my other post, I don't think this is best training for your goal, but if prefer to do track over longer distance, here's my modified plan.

First, I assume by '400m' @ 5minute mile pace ( 75seconds lap) you mean intervals? because 1 lap isn't going to produce

any improvement.  You'll need to do 4-6. and you'll need to keep 'rest periods' short, to say 1 minute, either walk or jog very slow i.e don't take 2-3 minute sit down rests.

Do these intervals 2 to 3X a week - giving at least 48 hours between each one.

On 2-3 other days do 2-3 miles 'slow' run, really easy ( you don't want to tax your recovery from the intervals) ( over time, increase to 4-5miles)

( Again, I advice at most 2X, and add more other running...)

If your cannot add 100m per week to the length of hte interval, REST MORE between interval sessions OR

instead of lengthening them, try doing more i.e get up to 8-12 intervals with 1 minute breaks, that would be my preferred approach and something I know works ( done it myself).

Be prepared for it to take longer than you expect to reach 2miles at 5:30 pace.

If you want a bit more scientific answer, i'll give you one below -

You have THREE energy systems, creatine-phosphate(CRP), lactate, and aerobic.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-nutrition-articles/energy-systems-running/

400m runs use primarily Lactate, and virutally zero aerobic assuming you run close to your max speed for that distance.

To 'go longer' at that speed, you will need to develop aerobic endurance, you might be able to get to 800m on Lactate but by time

you reach 1 mile its 90+% or so aerobic.

All the 400m intervals in the world will NOT increase aerobic system very effectively,  here's the problem

-> RECOVERY TIME is LONGER for HIGHER INTENSITY

...so, if you do intervals every day you will see little gain, as you'll be constantly breaking body down ( same as why you can't do heavy weights daily and gain)

..if you drop to 2-3 times a week to give recovery, you won't get enough aerobic development, your 400m time will improve, and you'll be more of them, but it won't

translate to going much further at that speed..(not at the rate of improvement you want). This is why he rest interval must be short and moving, it will add some aerobic work.

Now, that said, people are genetically unique. Some people are what i call 'speed up' athelete's, which means, you have more muscle fibre's and energy development for speed than endurance.   In simple terms, you have two types of muscles - fast(CRP and lactate based), slow twitch (aerobic based) - everyone is born with a unique make up - read more here:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

If you are a speed up type, then potentially, you CAN train sort of how you want here( though its normal to add volume to intervals i.. work up to 10-12 400m, not lengthen them). That is because you'll have enough type IIa fibers -  but, its rare, and it will take alot more time than your plan here, and still would be much more effective to add general aerobic development - lots of 3-5 mile runs at easy pace to begin with.  Note.. Most people in 5K and up are 'endurance' body types, more slow twitch dominant, so for them, do 'more miles' works,   and you'll read that most places, but it ignores body type differences,  fast twtich athelete's break down under 'more miles' more easily.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points